PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Why didn't the Bears call timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinoCappelletti

On the Roster
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else was watching the game and the announcers didn't seemto make a big deal of it, but wasn't it 4th down when Tavarias Jackson took a knee with about 15 seconds left? The Bears still had a timeout left, so it is perplexing to me that they didn't use it.

I don't know if anyone else was watching the game and the announcers didn't seemto make a big deal of it, but wasn't it 4th down when Tavarias Jackson took a knee with about 15 seconds left? The Bears still had a timeout left, so it is perplexing to me that they didn't use it.

I just rewound my tivo and it was 3rd down when he took a knee with 11 seconds left making it 4th down, I guess they could have forced a punt, I would have at least gave it a shot...

I misspoke it was third down making it fourth down when Jackson took the knee. I think thats pretty inexcusable on Lovie's part to not at least give it a shot when your team's playoff hopes are on the line. This is the type of obvious things coaches should be fired over. I mean you have a better chance of winning in that situation than by just letting the clock run out, its common sense.

wouldn't have mattered really, so many safe ways to run out 10 seconds of clock without punting.

I misspoke it was third down making it fourth down when Jackson took the knee. I think thats pretty inexcusable on Lovie's part to not at least give it a shot when your team's playoff hopes are on the line. This is the type of obvious things coaches should be fired over. I mean you have a better chance of winning in that situation than by just letting the clock run out, its common sense.

especially when you have a guy named Hester returning punts, although I doubt he would have seen the ball...

I couldn't believe it as I was watching so I had to rewind it to make sure I didn't miss anything. The final play of the game was 3rd down and Jackson took a knee with 14 seconds showing on the clock. If a timeout is called, the Queens have two choices: 1) punt on 4th & 13; 2) try to run a play to take up as much time as possible, even though the clock would stop as soon as that play ended (assuming they didn't get the first down). If they punt, they are either putting the ball in the hands of Hester, or kicking it out of bounds, using only a few seconds off the clock. Granted, the Bears are likely, then, taking possesion inside their own 20 or even 10 with a downright nausiating offense, but as was mentioned earlier...take a SHOT, you know? If Minnesota tries to run out the time they risk a fumble or worse and if anybody thinks there is a plausible play from scrimmage that a coach can be confident in taking 14 seconds off the clock, they're high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots