PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Who else does their own scouting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-ShirtDynasty

Reaction score
The Andrews thread got me thinking... when you hear people talk about how the Patriots are one of the few teams that don't subscribe to the major scouting reports/services and rely on their own exclusively... who are those other teams?

And now that I think about it, with the Bills rather curious first two picks I was wondering if they might be one of the others?

Anybody have any insight?

I believe it's Patriots, Raiders, Colts, Ravens and Redskins.

I was under the impression that all NFL teams have their own scouting departments. Even under the Sullivan regime we had Bucko Kilroy as "head of scouting'. It may not be as extensive as the Patriots but I would be totally shocked if all the teams did not have their own staff scouts.

For those who did not catch the All Access program last night, there was an interesting segment on scouting. Pioli was at a table with what seemed to be 20 other guys all scouts.

He was reminding them that that when they scouted players, to grade them as Patriot type players. He said he didn't care how other teams graded the player or how other scouting services graded players. He wanted them to use the Patriot grading system only.

PATSNUTme said:
I was under the impression that all NFL teams have their own scouting departments. ...

The Packers have their own scouts, but they also very conventional, which I associate with a scouting service - group think.

The Colts have no fear of drafting little CB's. The scouting services discount those guys like crazy.

I find it very interesting that the scouting services really discount size at DB and WR, yet the Pats and Steelers roster is full of undersized WRs and DBs. That's 4 out of the last 5 superbowls.
At the end of the day, I think it's very important that your team scouts review these players with their own eyeballs. Their reports sometimes go against conventional wisdom and if they are right. your team hits big (Branch) and if they are wrong, your team misses big (Brock Williams).
I love the fact the BB runs off and interviews a couple of players every year himself.
There's more to a player than film and the canned interviews at the combine.

PATSNUTme said:
I was under the impression that all NFL teams have their own scouting departments. Even under the Sullivan regime we had Bucko Kilroy as "head of scouting'. It may not be as extensive as the Patriots but I would be totally shocked if all the teams did not have their own staff scouts.

For those who did not catch the All Access program last night, there was an interesting segment on scouting. Pioli was at a table with what seemed to be 20 other guys all scouts.

He was reminding them that that when they scouted players, to grade them as Patriot type players. He said he didn't care how other teams graded the player or how other scouting services graded players. He wanted them to use the Patriot grading system only.

Every team does have their own scouting services, but those guys work off the main scouting services info. The scouting services are basically to dig a little deeper into the main services info. The patriots along with 4 other teams do all their scouting from scratch, so they start off with a blank slate, with no pre opinions of the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back