PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: When did the Giants become an unstoppable juggernaut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Giants are quickly becoming the "team no one wants to play" and the trendy pick to go to and/or win the Super Bowl? But why?

I know they are starting to come on at the right time, but was their win last week a repeat of 2007 or just catching an average team at the right minute. Three weeks ago, the Jets and Giants were playing the "Monumental Loser Bowl" where the loser would become the laughing stock of the league and incredible underachievers based on expectations. Three weeks later they are the trendy pick to go to the Super Bowl.

I know they did it before, but that was three years ago with a lot of different players. Their defense is still suspect in the secondary and they may have to play the three best offenses in the league to win the Super Bowl. I don't see them doing it. In fact, I don't think they will get past the Packers this weekend.

I could be wrong. I never thought they would make it to the Super Bowl when they beat the Pats the last time around. In fact, I think a Pats/Giants rematch would be something I would want to see to get revenge for destroying the Pats' perfect season.

giants is the 2nd to last team that i want to play..they have been on a roll as of late...last team i want to play...saints

That is if we make the SB

Last edited:
Saints will hang 50 on them in their dome IF the Giants get by GB @ Lambeau.

Not happenin captain

You didn't hear they beat the Ryan's....:rolleyes: Every team in the NFL is doomed....Doomed I tell ya!

giants is the 2nd to last team that i want to play..they have been on a roll as of late...last team i want to play...saints

Are they really that much of a role? They beat they are on a three game winning streak and they really haven't beaten that good of teams. They beat the Jets who were in the mist of a massive collapse. They beat the wildly inconsistent Cowboys. The Falcons have also been inconsistent too.

I want to see the Giants beat a quality team (which they have the opportunity to beat the best team in the league in the regular season) before I say they are in the top 6 times I least want to see.

The Giants barely lost to GB before and blowing out the Jets and Falcons coupled with a similar performance in 07 gives them credibility to some. I think they have a decent shot of knocking off the Packers. Then it comes down to who wins the other game. If it's NO I agree with the other poster that they're toast. But I actually like SF in a tight game and if that happens the Giants vs 49ers is a coin flip.

I also agree the last team I want to see in the SB is NO if we get that far. If it was outside I might say the Packers but inside it's NO. And yes Indy is retractable but there will be no retracting in that game.

Well, hopefully the Packers can smack them around this weekend so we don't have to hear........

Just like the Giants lost to the Pats 38-35 in the regular season and yet won the playoff rematch in '07, the Giants do the same to the Packers in 2011.

Finally, I find someone who feels the same way as me. I've been telling friends, family this for weeks only to get scoffed at. The Packers are hyped up a bit too much. I'd rather play them than NO or NYG...

Finally, I find someone who feels the same way as me. I've been telling friends, family this for weeks only to get scoffed at. The Packers are hyped up a bit too much. I'd rather play them than NO or NYG...

I agree. The Giants scare me - their D is a good matchup for our O. They can get consistent, quality pressure with their front 4, leaving them 7 to drop into coverage. that leaves 2 double teamed when we go 5 wide, or more if we keep a TE/RB in to help block that great 4 man pass rush. This scares me.

I disagree that they are somehow unstoppable, but the perception on them changed dramatically based on last week's game.

Why? Because it seemed clear going into the playoffs that this year they could not run the ball (they ranked near the bottom in rushing) and Eli was going to have to carry them.

Eli isn't going to carry the load to a title!

Then out of nowhere they ran the ball really well in a playoff game, against a decent run defense.

Their supposed weakness seemed to vaporize. That elevates their chances in many people's eyes. Particularly since they already played Green Bay tough once, and also the perception is that Green Bay may also have peaked early.

I like Green Bay, though, to win at home.

Last edited:
If the Pats make the SB, and if the o-line is healthy, I wouldn't mind playing the Giants too much. What I mean by that, to clarify, is that I would rather play them than the Packers or Saints.

I disagree that they are somehow unstoppable, but the perception on them changed dramatically based on with last week's game.

Why? Because it seemed clear going into the playoffs that this year they could not run the ball (they ranked near the bottom in rushing) and Eli was going to have to carry them.

Eli isn't going to carry the load to a title!

Then out of nowhere they ran the ball really well in a playoff game, against a decent run defense.

Their supposed weakness seemed to vaporize. That elevates their chances in many people's eyes. Particularly since they already played Green Bay tough once, and also the perception is that Green Bay may also have peaked early.

I like Green Bay, though, to win at home.

So a whole lot, then, hinges on Brandon Jacobs' ability to continue being a good RB. I wouldn't bet on that happening.

Giants are streaky. One minute they're great. One minute theyr'e not.
The beat crummy teams to get into the playoffs - jets, Cowboys, and then they beat (in my view) a bad atlanta team in the first round. a few weeks ago they couldn't compete with the redskins.

i do think GB will be tough at home. The game time temp for that game will be 20 degrees. I know Eli pulled a win a few years ago when the weather was awful in GB, but the team is different now. Against Washington, the Giants receivers stated they struggled to catch balls in the 25 degree cold and that was wearing full sleeves.

Every team that is left in the tournament is dangerous now.

But i agree with the OP, that the Giants are looking scary (tho hardly the unstoppable juggernaut).

Giants = Strong D + Top Tier QB-led O (sometimes!)

thats different from every team left. the issue is they are streaky.

-- FRITZ

The Giants vs. Falcons game was A LOT closer than the score showed. Mike Smith blew that game completely on his own.

The Giants have the REAL 'Dream Team' in the front defensive 7

They have a QB that is playing as well as I have ever seen him

Brandon Jacobs and Bradshaw are beasts when the cold weather comes around

They have Cruz and Nicks who make a great pair of WRs that are tough to contain.

The only weak spot would be the cornerbacks ....

Yeah,they are a team to seriously respect.

More a case of the media making the tail wag the dog.

No real good drama stories going on, so they're trying to contrive one.

Giants weak spot is at Linebacker. In the beginning of the year teams ran all over them which is what you are supposed to do against them. Then all of a sudden everyone stopped running against them. I hope if we meet them again in the post season he rush that ball 40 times straight down O$i's ******* throat.

More a case of the media making the tail wag the dog.

No real good drama stories going on, so they're trying to contrive one.

I'm not convinced this is the case. As many others have pointed out, the NYG seem to have a defense that can bring the pressure and play physically with the best of them.

On top of that, the have a QB who is playing better than ever, and 2 or 3 extremely viable WR options.

I suppose we'll find out within the next 48 hrs if they are for real or not, but even with a loss I still think they are just as balanced (if not more) than any of the other teams left.

If the Pats make the SB, and if the o-line is healthy, I wouldn't mind playing the Giants too much. What I mean by that, to clarify, is that I would rather play them than the Packers or Saints.

I would love a NYG rematch..absolutely foam at the mouth at any thought of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes