PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT- What will Goodell do? Colin Kaepernick sits during national anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like Kaepernick, infact I'd go as far as to say I hate him, but I can't get mad at him for this. All the veterans that you speak of who fought in World Wars etc, fought so that people would have the freedom to have their own opinion. Sitting down while an Anthem is played is not close to disrespecting them. He raised an issue which he feels passionately about, didn't do it in a violent way or anything, he just didn't stand up. I wouldn't stand up for the British National Anthem in his situation, no matter how much money and opportunity the country had given me. You can disagree with his protest, but not his right to do it - that makes you like the people all the veterans are fighting against.

I am more cynical though. He comes out with this after he is exposed as a horrible QB and facing being cut. I believe this is all a sham to paint him as a victim so when he is cut he will be the victim.

14100423_919494204848075_4268252767379189867_n.jpg

what are you disagreeing with ,meathead?...that isn't his mansion? or are you trying to suppress my right tofree speech?

I just pictured the rage in your face as you typed this and smiled to myself. Lol thanks

Not enraged at all, more disappointed, but certainly not surprised. I've heard plenty of this kind of stuff from dunces over the years. You are even too much of a coward to explain how to spot a real black person. Someone must have taken you up on it and actually deflated your balls.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that necessarily invalidates his point. In part because he has yet to claim that he hasn't been very blessed in life. He's kinda getting attacked from both sides here: on one side, people are saying he's clearly just doing it for attention because he couldn't possibly care about other people, and OTOH other people are saying he has no business voicing an opinion because he hasn't personally been oppressed.

I've already addressed the first point, but to the latter one there are a couple ways to go with that. For one, he could be speaking out because he hates what other people--people not as lucky as him--are going through. I don't see anything wrong with that. The other thing I'd say is that just because he's a famous, rich athlete now doesn't necessarily mean he's always had it easy in life and can't be acquainted with the subject he's talking about.

I am more cynical though. He comes out with this after he is exposed as a horrible QB and facing being cut. I believe this is all a sham to paint him as a victim so when he is cut he will be the victim.
The thought has crossed my mind as well, and I wouldn't rule it out. He may very well be the ****ty person a lot of folks are assuming he is. But I also wouldn't be comfortable assuming that. Even after the 49ers cut him, he'll presumably look to catch on somewhere else. This stance he's taking will hurt him in that respect. So unless he's decided he's done with football, endorsements, and making money entirely, this stance is coming at some cost to him.

I'm as patriotic as the next guy, but I'm also not sure why they really need so much nationalistic pomp and ceremony in the NFL anyways. With American fighter jets buzzing over stadiums and red white and blue fireworks going off during the National Anthem, sometimes they go over the top (Edit: to the point where it feels like they are advertising for the Armed Forces).

In some ways, I think this trend towards blending NFL with nationalism really kicked into high gear with the Patriots first Super Bowl win in the year of the 9-11 attacks.

Maybe the NFL will just start playing "Take me out to the ballgame" instead and take out the politics.

Last edited:
I'm as patriotic as the next guy, but I'm also not sure why they really need so much nationalistic pomp and ceremony in the NFL anyways. With American fighter jets buzzing over stadiums and red white and blue fireworks going off during the National Anthem, sometimes they go over the top.

In some ways, I think this trend towards blending NFL with nationalism really kicked into high gear with the Patriots first Super Bowl win in the year of the 9-11 attacks.

Maybe the NFL will just start playing "Take me out to the ballgame" instead.

The reason is as simple as Roidger Goodell hiding behind this "show" of patriotic fervor while he continues his organized criminal conspiracy unchecked.

I agree with everything KAP has said.

He is speaking for Black Americans who do not have a voice nor, the platform that kap is on.

America has came a long way but racsim is still alive and well.

America was founded on it period.

As young Black man I know we have opportunity but at the end of the day
African Americans Are Still Treated as Second-Class Citizens By the Law.

From the comments I have read I am ashamed to be a pats fan with you guys.

You all can debate about what he did but he was right this is how every African american feels.

You tell us to go back leave America, If you have taken are history made us slaves for over 300 years were do we go? We do not not were we come from just like Arian foster said
". Am I from the Congo? Am I from Kenya? Am I from the Ivory Coast?"

I hope the Pats have a great season but please do not comment on the lives of blacks in this land.

This is truly hard I love America but to my own country my people are nothing.

Last note you guys talk about Rich African Americans but what about the rest of us?

systematic oppression is disgrace no mater how much money you have If you are black you have felt it at some point

He is speaking for Black Americans who do not have a voice nor, the platform that kap is on.

You all can debate about what he did but he was right this is how every African american feels.

You tell us to go back leave America, If you have taken are history made us slaves for over 300 years were do we go? We do not not were we come from just like Arian foster said

I hope the Pats have a great season but please do not comment on the lives of blacks in this land.

Do you think he is going to trademark sitting during the national anthem too?

Thanks, Tebow: Colin Kaepernick to trademark ‘Kaepernicking’

real life is more important than the game on sunday,if you want be less divided it would require people like you to also chill out, but your the "real" americans and you dont want some upitty guy telling you that maybe everything isnt perfect in his view of america, because he makes a lot of money and hasnt played well.

I don't need to be told anything by a self absorbed self righteous pin head.

I am well aware of the issues in this country.

What Kappydink did helped no one but himself.

If you and kappass want to burn flags and sit out the national anthem go ahead. Just don't expect me to respect your decision to do so.

"Black people are being oppressed "

What? Really? So BLM wasn't making things up over the last few years? Geez thanks Mr Kappydink.

So what's your solution?

"I'm going to sit on a bench during the national anthem until they fix it. "

Great job . What a freaking hero you are.

What a unifier.

I'm as patriotic as the next guy, but I'm also not sure why they really need so much nationalistic pomp and ceremony in the NFL anyways. With American fighter jets buzzing over stadiums and red white and blue fireworks going off during the National Anthem, sometimes they go over the top.

Maybe the NFL will just start playing "Take me out to the ballgame" instead.
I've always kinda thought that was a poor use of funding when the military has been in a constant budget crisis these last couple of years...would prefer to see stuff like that and the military bands that don't play at the funerals to be cut in favor of jobs that are needed.

I've always kinda thought that was a poor use of funding when the military has been in a constant budget crisis these last couple of years...would prefer to see stuff like that and the military bands that don't play at the funerals to be cut in favor of jobs that are needed.
It's a recruitment tool.

There is no question that racism is alive and well in this country. We agree on that.

I know we really cant but take racism off the table....just for a second.

I'm going to ask you the same question I ask every non-white who says they are not getting a fair shake in this country.

What would you change and does sitting during the NA effect your desired change?

Kap has the right to sit during the national anthem. He has the right to protest and comment on the ills of society.

People have the right to criticize him for it.

To each his own, and let the chips fall where they may.

One thing I wish Kaepernick would acknowledge is that this very same oppressive country is the one that gave him the opportunity to be a superstar, get a free college education, and make tens of millions of dollars living the dream in the NFL.

Maybe there's less racial oppression in Morocco. You're also not likely to become an NFL quarterback if you're from there.

So this country has obviously been pretty good to Kaepernick, though that doesn't mean that others haven't experienced some form of discrimination.

Kaepnerick feels strongly about a social issue and has chosen a peaceful method of political protest that hasn't harmed or even inconvenienced a soul. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

I can't see the point of trying to guess at his "real" motivation or to impugn his character based on these actions. Is he ungrateful, spoiled, trying to avoid getting cut, trying to impress his new Muslim (egad) girlfriend? Who knows? Nobody here is going to figure this out without talking to the guy at some length or having ESP. I don't think the fact that he makes a lot of money playing football disqualifies him from having or stating an opinion or peacefully participating however he chooses in the political process.

I don't really know much of anything about his upbringing. The notion that being abandoned by your parents and then as a result being raised by white parents is some sort of advantage strikes me as odd to say the least. Those who disagree with CK's viewpoint are certainly entitled to do so; using that disagreement to judge him as a person? I try to avoid that - it's called attribution error. Most often when someone does something you disagree with, it is not because of a moral failure on their part. It's simply because they disagree with you.

A very good poster who feels strongly about this issue said something to the effect that he allowed his sons to wear their hats and not put their hand over their heart as long as they stood during the anthem. No problem, but isn't this a subjective standard? Some things are okay, but crossing the line he has drawn (must stand up) is met with very harsh disapproval. I guess it depends on where each of us draws the line. In my experience, I've seen lots of inattentive and potentially disrespectful behavior on the part of fans at the game during the anthem. All I control is my own behavior so what others do is not of much concern to me at all.

The idea that Kaepernick should not protest in this fashion because such actions are not permitted in other societies collapses under its own absurdity. He lives here, he can do it and so can you.

By the way, this was heartfelt but has passed with little comment:

I hope that better days are coming for you, my friend.

I learned a long time ago that I get more out of trying to understand than trying to judge. The internet connects us and allows us to communicate in ways that were previously unthinkable. It is a source of sadness to me that so much of this communication is too often hyper-judgmental and so divisive. We can disagree and still like and respect each other, can't we?

Last edited:
Kaepnerick feels strongly about a social issue and has chosen a peaceful method of political protest that hasn't harmed or even inconvenienced a soul. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

I can't see the point of trying to guess at his "real" motivation or to impugn his character based on these actions. Is he ungrateful, spoiled, trying to avoid getting cut, trying to impress his new Muslim (egad) girlfriend? Who knows? Nobody here is going to figure this out without talking to the guy at some length or having ESP. I don't think the fact that he makes a lot of money playing football disqualifies him from having or stating an opinion or peacefully participating however he chooses in the political process.

I don't really know much of anything about his upbringing. The notion that being abandoned by your parents and then as a result being raised by white parents is some sort of advantage strikes me as odd to say the least. Those who disagree with CK's viewpoint are certainly entitled to do so; using that disagreement to judge him as a person? I try to avoid that - it's called attribution error. Most often when someone does something you disagree with, it is not because of a moral failure on their part. It's simply because they disagree with you.

A very good poster who feels strongly about this issue said something to the effect that he allowed his sons to wear their hats and not put their hand over their heart as long as they stood during the anthem. No problem, but isn't this a subjective standard? Some things are okay, but crossing the line he has drawn (must stand up) is met with very harsh disapproval. I guess it depends on where each of us draws the line. In my experience, I've seen lots of inattentive and potentially disrespectful behavior on the part of fans at the game during the anthem. All I control is my own behavior so what others do is not of much concern to me at all.

The idea that Kaepernick should not protest in this fashion because such actions are not permitted in other societies collapses under its own absurdity. He lives here, he can do it and so can you.

By the way, this was heartfelt but has passed with little comment:

I hope that better days are coming for you, my friend.

I learned a long time ago that I get more of of trying to understand than trying to judge. The internet connects us and allows us to communicate in ways that were previously unthinkable. It is a source of sadness to me that so much of this communication is too often hyper-judgmental and so divisive. We can disagree and still like and respect each other, can't we?
Excellent post, sir.

It would be fascinating to see what this board had to say about Muhammad Ali in 1967 and see how that opinion held up over time. I believe he was doing rather well for himself at the time he said it.

"Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights?" Ali asked.

"I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong," went his famous quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes