PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT- What will Goodell do? Colin Kaepernick sits during national anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's perfectly ok to live in a country where your free, employed, have clean drinking water, food available to you in every corner grocery or general store. Perfectly ok to have TV shows a plenty, movies at your disposal, internet access everywhere, parks, roadways in which to travel to and from, planes available for you, as a free man, to fly in/out of that same country. A country that is not perfect by any means but is still the greatest in the world! I don't understand the message. I don't - it's hard to wrap my head around it. What's his message? Sitting through the national anthem somehow is an act of courage on his part...? The entire point is that we have that flag and that anthem through years of courage. Sitting through it just feeds the the divide between us it doesn't unite anyone or anything.

That's the irony here- the very symbol of the national anthem is 'we are united'. It's very messed up and sad to me that anyone who is privileged to be an American and live in this country, uses this one rare moment we share mostly at a sporting event, as a message. What message!?!

What people neglect to understand is that there is racial divide in every country across this planet.
And in those countries where there is not a racial divide, there is a tribal divide or a religious divided.

If you don't understand what Kaepernick is doing and standing for then you're a ****ing idiot, all of you...how can you NOT respect or support what this man is doing?? I'm a HUGE Brady fan but sometimes we all have to pay our respects to the actual man and not the uniforms that they wear. "Justice for all" is not being excised in this country. ✊
So if I don't agree with him, that makes me an effing idiot? Is he the only one who can state an unpopular opinion? Are you the only one who decides who's opinion is valuable and who's is not?

I VERY rarely use a negative icon on a post but this could be one of the WORST responses I have ever seen.

So NOW you want to imply Kapernick has take up the "saber against whitey" because his girlfriend is Muslim????? So those dead black guys, killed on the street by police were just a figment of our imagination. You want to tell me that this ISN'T a problem that needs to be dealt with!!!!!!!!!

How do you KNOW that he's never been profiled before he became an NFL player. Don't you think it is outrageous that responsible black parents HAVE to teach their children how to act if confronted by the police for no other reason than they are black Don't you think that it is outrageous that almost every middle class black person I have ever known has been pulled over for driving while black in a so called wrong neighborhood. And most just treat it like a is just a part of being a black person in America. Aren't you OUTRAGED that in 2016 that is STILL the case.

God you are a jackass. It must really burn you that we have had a black president for the last 8 years. You know the guy who dug us out of the worst recession of the last 70 years that your "Frat guy in Chief" got us into, DESPITE having to work with a Congress who put their own political gain over what's good for the country. You know, the guys who turned bipartisanship into a dirty word.

IF you want to complain that it was ill advised method for him to make his point, then just say that. I get that there are people who think the Flag is above reproach and represents the ideals, and NOT the actual administrations. I might not necessarily agree, but I certainly understand the point. Personally, I think Kapernick would have been better off just stating his views publicly, rather than doing what he did. But only because I think he dilutes the message he wanted to make, when people turn it into a "disrespect" thing and not talk about the REAL issue behind the move.

BTW- I originally came to this thread to ask why we are still talking about this topic, when it seemed all the reasonable ideas on both sides had been hashed through several pages ago.
As I just said in another post, apparently only Colin Kaepernick gets to express an unpopular opinion. Disagreeing with what he said makes somebody a jack ass?

We should fall on our knees in gratitude for being able to express ourselves and to fight about it.

lol, Goodell is going to have a major problem on his hands. more players are going to boycott the national anthem.

Second NFL player to sit out national anthem
Yes the NFL is in quite a bind. Alienate its audience or a group of its players.

Thing is I have sympathy for the issues CK claims to be concerned with but

1) He does this causes more harm than good
2) I don't believe this is anything more than a self absorbed tantrum by a player on decline facing being booted on his but and I find it no coincidence he spoke out hours after Fox Sports called for the 49rs to cut him for his bad play.

I actually hate the national anthem, I think it is horrible and America the Beautiful should have been chosen not this in 1931. I didn't know about this verse but it is bad.

As far as Blacks being given a hard time by the police, yea that is 100% accurate. Anyone who thinks it is not is a fool. So what do we do about it? What does BLM suggest? I do know that chaining yourself to highways etc... hurts your cause. By the way this being done in Boston was a coordinated with a legal group who were probably hoping that the police would overreact, infringing on civil rights and allow for a big fat $ lawsuit. The Westboro Baptist church (run by lawyers BTW) has a similar business model.

You can't legislate what people feel, only actions and although not perfect, police body cams are the best shot we all have of accountability from the police. It also protects the police from false claims. This is an issue for all Americans. I look like the last person on earth who the police would give a hard time to but I like almost everyone I know have a couple bad police stories for things abusive police did to me. I like the police 99% of the time and don't let the two bad occasions I have had have me label all police. My sister, in a minivan with two young children in it turned around in a driveway in a town near Gillette and the State trooper (woman) who lived there and was in the house (unknown to mys sister who was just turning around) rushed her with gun drawn. Think about that, a Massachusetts State Police woman pulled a gun on a woman in a minivan with two small children just for turning around in her driveway (yes this is what the trooper was screaming about with gun pointed at my sister). Luckily my sister didn't panic or she could have been shot for trying to" run down a policeman". This state trooper is a well known hothead, a hothead with the power to kill yet she is still on the force.

Back to CK. I think he is self absorbed and has used this as a way to get support and play the victim card to cover that he is a bad QB and going to get cut. I hate that.

I think the NFL does nothing and the best we will see is CK cut for his bad play as he should be.

edit: FYI story on how Westboro Baptist Church funds How Westboro Baptist Church Makes Its Money

Last edited:
Yes the NFL is in quite a bind. Alienate its audience or a group of its players.

Thing is I have sympathy for the issues CK claims to be concerned with but

1) He does this causes more harm than good
2) I don't believe this is anything more than a self absorbed tantrum by a player on decline facing being booted on his but and I find it no coincidence he spoke out hours after Fox Sports called for the 49rs to cut him for his bad play.

I actually hate the national anthem, I think it is horrible and America the Beautiful should have been chosen not this in 1931. I didn't know about this verse but it is bad.

As far as Blacks being given a hard time by the police, yea that is 100% accurate. Anyone who thinks it is not is a fool. So what do we do about it? What does BLM suggest? I do know that chaining yourself to highways etc... hurts your cause. By the way this being done in Boston was a coordinated with a legal group who were probably hoping that the police would overreact, infringing on civil rights and allow for a big fat $ lawsuit. The Westboro Baptist church (run by lawyers BTW) has a similar business model.

You can't legislate what people feel, only actions and although not perfect, police body cams are the best shot we all have of accountability from the police. It also protects the police from false claims. This is an issue for all Americans. I look like the last person on earth who the police would give a hard time to but I like almost everyone I know have a couple bad police stories for things abusive police did to me. I like the police 99% of the time and don't let the two bad occasions I have had have me label all police. My sister, in a minivan with two young children in it turned around in a driveway in a town near Gillette and the State trooper (woman) who lived there and was in the house (unknown to mys sister who was just turning around) rushed her with gun drawn. Think about that, a Massachusetts State Police woman pulled a gun on a woman in a minivan with two small children just for turning around in her driveway (yes this is what the trooper was screaming about with gun pointed at my sister). Luckily my sister didn't panic or she could have been shot for trying to" run down a policeman". This state trooper is a well known hothead, a hothead with the power to kill yet she is still on the force.

Back to CK. I think he is self absorbed and has used this as a way to get support and play the victim card to cover that he is a bad QB and going to get cut. I hate that.

I think the NFL does nothing and the best we will see is CK cut for his bad play as he should be.

edit: FYI story on how Westboro Baptist Church funds How Westboro Baptist Church Makes Its Money

Another one who has been fed the lies and believes it.....

Why has the murder rate in Chicago skyrocketed in the last few years? I'll tell you why, because back in 2015 the Obama Justice Department and the ACLU decided that the Chicago PD was stopping and frisking too many black youths, these encounters led to numerous arrests of black youths for gun/drug possession. There solution, have the ACLU run the Chiacgo PD. YUp they came up with some stupid interview card that they mandated the cops fill out, which is basically calls ever cop a racists. The results, a 600 percent jump in the Chicago murder rate, and of course who are the majority of the victims of this historic jump in murder rate? African Americans.

Once again liberal policies literally killing the people they purport to help.

How Chicago’s Streets Became the Wild West

You've made several assumptions; that I believe in burning the flag, that I don't "participate" and that I implied that soldiers are idiots, all of which are completely false. Perhaps if my argument wasn't so strong, you wouldn't need to resort to such things to maintain your perspective.

I used to buy into the ******** that I was taught growing up. Like those who have fought, it wasn't because I was an idiot, it was simply because I never adequately questioned the ******** I was taught since birth.... ******** strong enough to make people completely dismiss alternative beliefs without giving them any serious thought.

You hint part of the crux of the problem, the population. The thing is, most of our population doesn't question nearly hard enough what they've been taught since birth. Because of this, they remain so divided, that unless there is a massive change in our population, nothing will change at the federal level. 80% turnout would mean nothing as long as our population is blind and divided.

As far as participation, I have done so at the federal only in the form of voting for candidates not of either party and supported the WOLF PAC by signing petitions and writing letters.... none of which has made a lick of difference and likely never will.

The only form of participation that I have taken that has made a lick of difference is at the local level, and I think, like in the late 1800s, that is our best chance at eventually making a national difference. That said, I don't knock on doors. That's solicitation and is rude besides. Anyone solicitor that knocks on my door is firmly told to leave and not come back.

In my previous town, besides basic fund-raising, town meetings etc., I played a key role in ousting two long standing, corrupt selectmen. I've also single handedly stopped the local library from throwing away books every year. (This may sound small, but the push back was unreal. I literally had to catalogue all the books being thrown out, find organizations the library could donate to, enlist multiple used book shops to take books and personally installed "free books" shelves in local schools and the library itself). I also helped form a committee to investigate town spending and publish and distribute a summary written in terms that ordinary folk could understand.

Although I have considerably less influence in my current town, in just a few years I have already convinced the library to stop throwing out books. All I had to do for that one was give them the blue print for what I'd done before, and agree to install and maintain a virtual environment with over a dozen workstations for internet access, research and office-like applications. Sure, this isn't going to change the nation by itself, but it certainly makes more of a difference than voting for clowns and certainly counts as participation.

All that said, I love the ideals upon which this country was built, and it pains me greatly to see it dishonored by a government that believes in money and power above all else. At a national level, nothing will change until enough people start seriously questioning their own beliefs and start caring for their fellow man.

Good post Galeb and I would say that your participation exceeds most. So I assumed wrong about that. My apologies.

I'll respond in more detail later.

Who said I was "the right"? You have no freaking clue what my ideology is.

If you think my position is un-American you are just as clueless as Kap is.
yeah because saying anyone who doesnt stand for the anthem isnt a real amerian is what real americans would say

Another one who has been fed the lies and believes it.....

Why has the murder rate in Chicago skyrocketed in the last few years? I'll tell you why, because back in 2015 the Obama Justice Department and the ACLU decided that the Chicago PD was stopping and frisking too many black youths, these encounters led to numerous arrests of black youths for gun/drug possession. There solution, have the ACLU run the Chiacgo PD. YUp they came up with some stupid interview card that they mandated the cops fill out, which is basically calls ever cop a racists. The results, a 600 percent jump in the Chicago murder rate, and of course who are the majority of the victims of this historic jump in murder rate? African Americans.

Once again liberal policies literally killing the people they purport to help.

How Chicago’s Streets Became the Wild West

Slow down here. You aren't even bringing up anything I posted about. What is it I wrote you object to and why? The national anthem being a bad song vs America the Beautiful, body cameras, some police being abusive and uncountable, Kaepernick being a self absorbed jerk?

You have no idea what my views are. If I were king I would implement the death penalty for repeat offenders if I couldn't find a penal colony to exile scum to. I would legalize marijuana and give the death penalty for the sale of hard drugs. I don't care what color a criminal is, I think some people just deserve to no longer be part of or supported by civilized society.

Blacks get hassled more by the police, than others. This is not make believe. The police sometimes kill or beat people (of all colors) when they should not. Body cameras will reduce this as either those prone to it will leave the profession or be removed. Just a couple months ago a NH and Massachusetts trooper were caught live on TV beating the crap out of a guy on the ground, it was filmed from channel 7 helicopter. If that wasn't broadcast nothing would have happened. Any police who are against body cameras are on the wrong side of history. So much is filmed, their body cameras may be their best protection and if they don't want to wear them, so be it, someone else will be more than willing to take the job in their place. They are paid public servants, not our overlords.

Kappydink did not bring attention to this issue. It has been rightfully plastered all over the media for the last few years.

All he did was further the division and jump on a train that was already rolling along. He may have slowed it down a little.

He didn't start nor add to the conversation.

Basically said, "I won't respect the flag until the flag respects me".

What a freaking hero.

"I don't want to be a part of the team unless we're winning the game. "
real life is more important than the game on sunday,if you want be less divided it would require people like you to also chill out, but your the "real" americans and you dont want some upitty guy telling you that maybe everything isnt perfect in his view of america, because he makes a lot of money and hasnt played well.

Slow down here. You aren't even bringing up anything I posted about. What is it I wrote you object to and why? The national anthem being a bad song vs America the Beautiful, body cameras, some police being abusive and uncountable, Kaepernick being a self absorbed jerk?

You have no idea what my views are. If I were king I would implement the death penalty for repeat offenders if I couldn't find a penal colony to exile scum to. I would legalize marijuana and give the death penalty for the sale of hard drugs. I don't care what color a criminal is, I think some people just deserve to no longer be part of or supported by civilized society.

Blacks get hassled more by the police, than others. This is not make believe. The police sometimes kill or beat people (of all colors) when they should not. Body cameras will reduce this as either those prone to it will leave the profession or be removed. Just a couple months ago a NH and Massachusetts trooper were caught live on TV beating the crap out of a guy on the ground, it was filmed from channel 7 helicopter. If that wasn't broadcast nothing would have happened. Any police who are against body cameras are on the wrong side of history. So much is filmed, their body cameras may be their best protection and if they don't want to wear them, so be it, someone else will be more than willing to take the job in their place. They are paid public servants, not our overlords.
Huge part of the problem is people seem to think it's eirher 100℅ on the police or 100℅ on the black people. Issues like this are rarely one sided. I think everyone needs to be open minded and willing to listen on all sides to truly move forward and change.

Huge part of the problem is people seem to think it's eirher 100℅ on the police or 100℅ on the black people. Issues like this are rarely one sided. I think everyone needs to be open minded and willing to listen on all sides to truly move forward and change.
Like what would happen, especially when people already know what they think they know

yeah because saying anyone who doesnt stand for the anthem isnt a real amerian is what real americans would say

As much I hate saying this the person who does that is American. They are also unappreciative and disrespectful of they very reason why they have those freedoms they enjoy.

Wow. Please explain what a "real black person" is, I'm interested in hearing a few more dog whistles. You can disagree with him all you like--I personally think it's a means of getting attention, but I support his right to do what he feels. However I'm curious, oh arbiter of blackness, what makes a "real black person?" I await nuance and wisdom with baited breath.
I just pictured the rage in your face as you typed this and smiled to myself. Lol thanks

I don't like Kaepernick, infact I'd go as far as to say I hate him, but I can't get mad at him for this. All the veterans that you speak of who fought in World Wars etc, fought so that people would have the freedom to have their own opinion. Sitting down while an Anthem is played is not close to disrespecting them. He raised an issue which he feels passionately about, didn't do it in a violent way or anything, he just didn't stand up. I wouldn't stand up for the British National Anthem in his situation, no matter how much money and opportunity the country had given me. You can disagree with his protest, but not his right to do it - that makes you like the people all the veterans are fighting against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes