PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT- What will Goodell do? Colin Kaepernick sits during national anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.
coffee at Cumberland Farms isnt that bad either, sure you have to make it yourself, but for $1 and anysize, ....

McDonalds uses Newsmans own...
Is it Burger King that uses Green Mountain?

You know what I've never understood (and yeah this thread is about coffee going forward)? People who put sugar and cream in after they order dark roast. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

You know what I've never understood (and yeah this thread is about coffee going forward)? People who put sugar and cream in after they order dark roast. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Agree. If you want to lighten it skim milk is appropriate.

14184421_10201954674865260_1160624547007582482_n.jpg

Again none of this is about his right to say what he wants. This is about the rights of the NFL and 49rs to take action against him for say these things while on the clock. Freedom of speech does not apply to the workplace, only to government restricting it.

The reality is Kaepernick was probably going to get cut. Fox sports came out with a big story on why he should hours before he spoke. Now if the 49rs cut him it is a racial story about how the accused racist Chip Kelley did this and this paints the 49rd and NFL in a corner.

I believe this was a completely premeditated plan to keep from being cut and collecting his #. Kaepernick is always a guy who looks after #1.

And again, i think you're wrong on this and he'd win in court. It's not his freedom of speech, but his freedom to not speak (stand) as they demand. There is precedent on this in US courts. Unless he has a contract that states he must stand, I doubt the NFL could get away with anything in terms of punishment. your employer can't tell you to do things like that.

They can stop you from an action, but they can't make you take an action.

I'm pretty sure using Pat Tillman as a flag-waving prop is the last thing his family would want given the circumstances of his death and his family's very public statements about it. If his brothers are to be believed, it's probably the last thing Pat himself would want. So using him as a prop to trash Kaepernick for being disrespectful is in really poor taste, IMO, as it's disrespectful to his family and their stated wishes in its own right.

If you're curious, this is what Kevin Tillman wrote about Pat's death: After Pat’s Birthday: Kevin Tillman. And this is what Richard Tillman (his youngest brother) had to say at his funeral, and later about attempts to politicize his death:

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure using Pat Tillman as a flag-waving prop is the last thing his family would want given the circumstances of his death and his family's very public statements about it. If his brother is to be believed, it's probably the last thing Pat himself would want.

Seems kinda weird to disrespect his family's wishes as a means to trash Kaepernick for being disrespectful.
On another note, I believe Bill offered him a spot on the Pats before he died (for when he got out of the service). How good was he as a player?

And again, i think you're wrong on this and he'd win in court. It's not his freedom of speech, but his freedom to not speak (stand) as they demand. There is precedent on this in US courts. Unless he has a contract that states he must stand, I doubt the NFL could get away with anything in terms of punishment. your employer can't tell you to do things like that.

They can stop you from an action, but they can't make you take an action.
I agree and it is not the sitting that puts him at risk but the comments made while representing the 49rs and NFL. I do believe he sees the end and pulled this. Puts the 49rs and NFL in a bad spot.

On another note, I believe Bill offered him a spot on the Pats before he died (for when he got out of the service). How good was he as a player?

I remember him being quite good. He was exactly the kind of SS that Belichick likes, a little undersized but smart, hits hard, basically played like an extremely undersized LB. Sort of like Pat Chung but in an era where run-first offenses were still a thing so that was a lot more valuable than it is now. Hard to say how his career would've gone since he left the NFL so young, but he was really good in 2000 and was still kinda learning the position since he was a college LB. If he'd stayed in the NFL, there's a good chance he would've made a couple Pro Bowls, and he would've fit nicely into the Rodney Harrison role in the mid/late 2000s Pats.

Wasn't gonna say anything until I got thru 4 pages of posts. My 2 cents. It's America so he has the absolute right to protest. If sf wants to cut him and pay 12 mil so he can play elsewhere or nowhere that is there right.

The sad part is that no matter what he does the country is split and neither side is open to having the "discussion" that his sitting is trying to spark. You may not like how he is protesting but it doesn't make his point less valid.

He doesn't have a point. That's the problem. If you are going to protest something, at least protest someone that's correct. Go look up FBI crime stats. Most crime is race on race up near 85-90ish percent. Very little (in comparison) inter racial violence. The cops are ventilating anyone nowadays regardless of race. The white people getting popped gets next to no coverage buts it's happening.

He doesn't have a point. That's the problem. If you are going to protest something, at least protest someone that's correct. Go look up FBI crime stats. Most crime is race on race up near 85-90ish percent. Very little (in comparison) inter racial violence. The cops are ventilating anyone nowadays regardless of race. The white people getting popped gets next to no coverage buts it's happening.
Thanks for validating what I said. He feels there is a significant issue and wants to call attention to his belief. You feel just as strongly there is no issue and he should shut up. Based on this there will never be a conversation to discuss the substance just two sides digging in.

Thanks for validating what I said. He feels there is a significant issue and wants to call attention to his belief. You feel just as strongly there is no issue and he should shut up. Based on this there will never be a conversation to discuss the substance just two sides digging in.

It's because again, he has no point. There can't be a discussion because there is no point in one when I have the actual data that would end any discussion before it started.

So no, there is no validation here.

It's because again, he has no point. There can't be a discussion because there is no point in one when I have the actual data that would end any discussion before it started.

So no, there is no validation here.

The other side has its own data that supports its own arguments, too. There is a history of racial bias in police brutality, it's clearly observable, and citing all the unrelated statistics re: intraracial violence in the world won't change that. It's a universal truth that violence tends to be intraracial rather than interracial, so claiming that this somehow "ends the discussion" when it's also true re: black Americans is incorrect at best and disingenuous at worst. The claim that you're making with the facts you've chosen to cite is both undisputed and not particularly related to the point of contention in the first place.

And FWIW I'm not saying it from that side. I'm still not totally sure where I fall on this. I think the more extreme elements have dug in and written their respective versions of the truth on both sides, neither are entirely correct, and neither seems intent on figuring out a real solution. Luckily there are some people operating in good faith closer to the middle, and hopefully those people will take the lead more as time passes.

I do know that my college roommate was black, and was also more responsible and law-abiding than I was. Yet he was routinely stopped and questioned by the police, and I was a grand total of once. Almost every black man I know, when asked, has acknowledged that his experience is something like that, and I'm talking about law-abiding, well-educated, high-income people. It's still an abstract issue to me, to the extent that it does not directly and personally affect me, but I can understand why people who are personally affected would be angry enough to protest.

Last edited:
robertweathers isn't asking for the douche to be thrown out of the country or dragged anywhere, it seems to me, he is just suggesting that the douche ought to willingly leave if he really thinks that this is such a detestable place.
This logic has always annoyed me, why is that if someone points out something is wrong in this country people say they should leave? Someone who really cares about this country points out its problems and tries to change them, nobody wins by just getting angry at anyone who brings them up.

Your disagreement is noted and respected.

As I have stated in subsequent posts, burning flags and choosing to sit during the NA is a right each citizen has in this country. I'm fine with that and I'm fine for him publicy critcizing all that is bad with this country anytime or day he chooses. With that said it doesn't mean hes right. Nor does it mean I am wrong for ripping him a new one on this forum.

Choosing not to show respect to the symbol of that right afforded to him by soldiers who died protecting it and the fellow citizens who respect is ********.

Hes just an entitled, disrespectful baby who I will never consider a true fellow countryman.
your willingness to write off your fellow americans for having a different opinion is rather unamerican, I dont know why the right always feels like they get to label who is a real american and who isnt.

Also this is the dumbest thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back