PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: What to do about synching radio and TV...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I have for years been able to listen to Gil and Gino while watching the Pats...(on Tv...w/o a cable box...) Last night was the worst as there was a difference of 4-5 seconds between the radio broadcast and the video. "morris through the line for 1, 2 tackled..." And then, I could look up and WATCH the play. Ugh....
I wonder if others have problems like this and what CAN be done..I thought of buying another TV..and just using rabbit ears so I could watch as it is happening...and then look up at cable almost as a 5 sec running replay...any thoughts as to how to watch them in synch?? (For so many years this has NEVER been a problem..but with advanced technology..it's not good OR better..) Thoughts??

I have for years been able to listen to Gil and Gino while watching the Pats...(on Tv...w/o a cable box...) Last night was the worst as there was a difference of 4-5 seconds between the radio broadcast and the video. "morris through the line for 1, 2 tackled..." And then, I could look up and WATCH the play. Ugh....
I wonder if others have problems like this and what CAN be done..I thought of buying another TV..and just using rabbit ears so I could watch as it is happening...and then look up at cable almost as a 5 sec running replay...any thoughts as to how to watch them in synch?? (For so many years this has NEVER been a problem..but with advanced technology..it's not good OR better..) Thoughts??

Great question. I think it would boost their listenership by thousands if they synched it up as was the case a few years ago. I can't even remember why they instituted the delay, but had the impression that it really didn't make much sense.

Somebody has probably written some freeware that delays audio. You basically run your audio through your computer and the freeware would buffer the audio for whatever desired delay you wish.

Regards,
Chris

As sound travels approximately a mile every 5 seconds, you could set up a set of really powerful speakers a mile away from your TV and listen to that.

Somebody has probably written some freeware that delays audio. You basically run your audio through your computer and the freeware would buffer the audio for whatever desired delay you wish.

Regards,
Chris
Sounds like a good idea..but..I'd have to buy some NFL plan over the net to listen..and I don't even know if Fil and Gino are a part of that...secondly...sounds plausible about the freeware..For a luffite all is not easy...

Great question. I think it would boost their listenership by thousands if they synched it up as was the case a few years ago. I can't even remember why they instituted the delay, but had the impression that it really didn't make much sense.
Is the delay on purpose?? I always thought it was a differential between cable boxes and...not..I swear that I have seen two TVs in the house watching the same cable program and having a delay between the two.. someone must have a solution to this...

Sounds like a good idea..but..I'd have to buy some NFL plan over the net to listen..and I don't even know if Fil and Gino are a part of that...secondly...sounds plausible about the freeware..For a luffite all is not easy...
Actually, I was thinking about running the outputs of your stereo to a sound card and not subscribing to any NFL net radio broadcast.

Regards,
Chris

Some people swear by they can use their DVR to synch the a/v

Yeah, $150 is definitele overpriced for the hardware required. But niche products are always overpriced.

Here's a cheaper one, seems to be out of stock everywhere though.

LINK

I don't see how you could do it with a DVR if the audio is AHEAD of the TV broadcast.

You can likely do it via a PC with a little work.

Yeah, $150 is definitele overpriced for the hardware required. But niche products are always overpriced.

Here's a cheaper one, seems to be out of stock everywhere though.

LINK
For $40, now we're getting somewhere.

Regards,
Chris

Is the delay on purpose?? I always thought it was a differential between cable boxes and...not..I swear that I have seen two TVs in the house watching the same cable program and having a delay between the two.. someone must have a solution to this...

I believe it is on purpose, though I'm open to being corrected on that. I believe it has to do with a radio station being able to self-censor unforeseen "objectionable" material that might come up before it hits the airwaves. I do recall watching Pats games on cable years ago and listening to the radio broadcast with Gil and Geno, and it was in synch.

Last edited:
I used to bring a radio headset to the game but stopped a year or two ago because the delay made it un-listenable. It would be on the radio about 10 seconds delayed from what was happening on the field.

Many of the latest Dolby Digital A/V receivers have a "lipsynch" feature that lets you program a specified delay (in milliseconds) for each audio input (including the AM/FM tuner.

This feature, if available, would be accessed from the setup menus of your A/V receiver.

The feature is specifically intended to address exactly this kind of need -- to match audio and video.

If anyone knows how I can get one of these real priced units...let me know...PM me...Thanks!!!!

I match 'em up every week by using a DVR and Sirius Radio. Sirius is behind (delayed) regular tv, so I simply pause live tv until it's synchronized with the radio broadcast (admittedly it takes a few tries to get it perfect, but it's very easy). That's the only solution I know for matching up Gil & Gino with the television.

Usually the Audio is ahead but on Monday Night is was behind so I could delay my DVR to sync up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes