Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna miss Grahambo...
http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_5982514
Broncos tight end Daniel Graham, the former Thomas Jefferson High and University of Colorado star, is settling back in on the Front Range after playing five seasons with the New England Patriots.

The Broncos' prized free-agent signee completed his first offseason camp with his new team Thursday, and he and coach Mike Shanahan said much progress was made.
-----
Shanahan said Graham, 28, has "done a great job. He's picked up the offense very quickly. You can see that he's a natural leader. He's been very impressive."

Graham, a terrific blocker and solid receiver, is one of four tight ends who participated in the camp...Veteran fullback Kyle Johnson said the Broncos have a bona fide weapon in Graham.

"We haven't put pads on, but you've seen the guy play, you know he's good, so it's not a question if he's got ability, but just how productive he'll be in Denver," Johnson said. "There's not too many question marks with that guy."

Graham was a tough loss.... there really is no arguing that. Dude can play.

I wish the Pats could have kept Graham, but the Broncos wildly overpaid.

There is no question he is a terrific blocker and unselfish player, and his receiving numbers could improve in Denver as well. However, the guy has never played a full season. He has been in the league 5 years, and he is banged up each year. Part of that is his physical style of play, but if you are going to pay someone the kind of money Denver laid out for Graham (5 Yrs/$30M, $15M guaranteed), you want the guy to be reliable. Graham's injury history makes it a risky deal, especially when you consider his shoulder problems could develop into something chronic.

Graham was an excellent blocker. IMHO he never because the receiving tight end I thought he would be. I think Denver paid a little too much $$$$ for him.

Any time you lose a starter who was a first-round pick, it's tough. You'd like to think first-rounders would stick around their whole career.

I believe Tony Scheffler, Denver's good-looking rookie from last year just got hurt too. So Graham will likely be their TE focal point. If he has to block less, he might play a full 16 games, but history suggests otherwise.

Graham was an excellent blocker. IMHO he never because the receiving tight end I thought he would be.

Same here. But although OL injuries as well as his own injuries played a part in his historical low receiving numbers I guess we'll find out how much of his low passing numbers were a result of BB's offensive scheme and how much can be attributed to Graham.

I'm shocked that he didn't do more in the air game last year since we desparately needed additional receiving threats.

For what they paid Graham I expect the Broncos are going to be throwing him the ball more than we ever did. So here's his chance to show he can be more than a 2 reception per game player

The question though is how that amount of focus will affect his run blocking ability. Can he do both well? Or does one suffer if he tries to do too much - that's my guess and I think BB figured it out as well.

Doesn't he have problems with his shoulders or something?

Graham was an excellent blocker. IMHO he never because the receiving tight end I thought he would be. I think Denver paid a little too much $$$$ for him.

It's strange- Graham didn't want to stay in NE because he was used as a blocking TE too much to his liking. Denver already has a receiving TE (Sheffler) and needed a blocking TE- so they signed Graham. I mean, Dan is great at blocking, why else would they give him all that $$$? I hope Grahambo won't get upset when he's not producing any more than he did in NE.

ill predict hell miss at least 4 games

I believe Tony Scheffler, Denver's good-looking rookie from last year just got hurt too. So Graham will likely be their TE focal point. If he has to block less, he might play a full 16 games, but history suggests otherwise.

If that truly becomes the case, it would then appear that Graham's signing in Denver is a redundancy for that team, and the point of their obtaining him becomes a bit blurred.

True, they might employ more 2-tight end sets, but even so, in such a circumstance, what most likely would be Graham's function in that set?

I've always liked Graham, but in this case, it seems more than anything he just wanted to go home, and found someone who was willing to pay him quite handsomely to do just that.

Graham got 6M per year and a 15M bonus. I mean dude, that's the price tag you pay for a #1 wideout not your projected #2 tight end. Denver got a good player but they overpaid. At that pricetag, the Pats were right to let him walk.

Last edited:
I can't believe that Denver would sign Graham without having those chronic shoulders checked out thoroughly. However if Granham is running routes and not having to block as much, then his shoulders won't take as much pounding as they did in New England.

I am worried about SD and Denver this season as our competition for the AFC. Hopefully the Pats can finish with a better record and get HFA against either team in the playoffs. Denver has an easy schedule and will challenge for the AFCW title. Graham only makes them better.

I'll miss Graham. He was a tough player who seemed to come up with catches at some big moments. But it seems he didn't want to stay here and Denver did give him a lot of money.

The nice thing about Denver signing Graham is that we don't have to play them and they have to play SD twice.

Any time you lose a starter who was a first-round pick, it's tough. You'd like to think first-rounders would stick around their whole career.

"I got the rings, now I want the money."

//

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10193502
This is what I like about the Denver Broncos' offseason moves: Mike Shanahan has been bolder and more aggressive in shaking up his roster than at any other time since 1998, the season he led the Broncos to their second of back-to-back Super Bowl victories. He will not rest until he gets a third ring, which is the reason the team was extremely active in acquiring players via free agency and trade.

Good luck to the guy. As one of the previous posters said, he really wanted to go home. I'm happy for him that he got his wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes