PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: What is your current opinion on Bill Parcells?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parcells is excellent at analyzing and evaluating college players and how their skill sets will translate to the pro level. As a coach though, his style is one that basically grinds players down after a couple of years. You see improvement with his new teams right away but it appears to me that his players eventually tune him out after about year 3. After a crappy year 4, he quits.
As a talent evaluator, near the top of the game. As a coach, not so much!

This pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly

Than in your opinion is he in a good situation in Miami. A blank slate in wich to bring the talent in that you say, and I don't argue, he is really good at and he has someone else to coach them up.

We'll see if he can shop for groceries or really needs an LT or a Bledsor or J. Jones or Bill Belichick to walk through his door.......just seems like many situations he walked into - the table was partially set for him. Nothing looks good to me in Miami, he is on his own.

This time he walks onto a team that is putrid with nobody in the organization with any kind of football knowledge to help him.

Take a close look at their roster - they have a whole lot of rebuilding to do.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/team/roster/roster.asp

The two best things he has going for him are his hand plucked head coach, Sparano and the fact there is really nowhere to go for this team, but up.

I think even I could improve over last year if I was the GM.

We'll see if he can shop for groceries or really needs an LT or a Bledsor or J. Jones or Bill Belichick to walk through his door.......just seems like many situations he walked into - the table was partially set for him. Nothing looks good to me in Miami, he is on his own.

This time he walks onto a team that is putrid with nobody in the organization with any kind of football knowledge to help him.

Take a close look at their roster - they have a whole lot of rebuilding to do.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/team/roster/roster.asp

The two best things he has going for him are his hand plucked head coach, Sparano and the fact there is really nowhere to go for this team, but up.

I think even I could improve over last year if I was the GM.

Miami has a couple of young QBs no #1 overalls but if one of them turns out to be good are you going to say Parcells walked into that too a la Drew? To even say he walked into a good situation in NE just because drew was there is just stupid. The team Parcells took over was abut as bad as any in the history of this team.

I know most of us around here don't like Parcells for the way he left our team but I don't think you can deny his talents or belittle them by saying he had Belichick or he walked into talent and that was why he had success.

He's going to leave Miami a lot better off than he found them. But he'll leave before the job is 100% done.

I think you are taking the wrong argument. Wether BB was Asst. head coach or coordinator he certainly had a big piece in the Pats turn around that season. But that doesn't mean Parcells stinks with out Belichick.

I was correcting the OP's (and a lot of BB worshippers' most common) misconception is that BB was a DC everywhere he went with Parcells.

I still remember the 1996 season like it was yesterday.

Parcells, as much as I dislike him on how he left here, is a great coach in his own right. Can't diminish what he did for the Jets, Pats, and Cowboys.

I was correcting the OP's (and a lot of BB worshippers' most common) misconception is that BB was a DC everywhere he went with Parcells.

I still remember the 1996 season like it was yesterday.

Parcells, as much as I dislike him on how he left here, is a great coach in his own right. Can't diminish what he did for the Jets, Pats, and Cowboys.

oh ok than.

Is it really that hard to be a good talent evaluator when you've always got a top 10 pick? Notice how he always jumps to a team at the bottom of the league? But he did stand up for Belichick over "fabricated media gate" so he'll always be ok in my book. :)

Great football mind, greater ego...

I can see MIami winning 6 or 7 games and start to become a pain in the arse. If Farve goes there they are instant contenders.

I couldnt disagree with any statement made on any topic more than this one.
Otherwise, thanks for your opinion.

Miami has a couple of young QBs no #1 overalls but if one of them turns out to be good are you going to say Parcells walked into that too a la Drew? To even say he walked into a good situation in NE just because drew was there is just stupid. The team Parcells took over was abut as bad as any in the history of this team.

I know most of us around here don't like Parcells for the way he left our team but I don't think you can deny his talents or belittle them by saying he had Belichick or he walked into talent and that was why he had success.

He walks into the number 1 pick in he country that just happens to have a cannon for an arm......please, tell me where the great team builder had anything to do with that?? Not to mention that Coates, Gash, Turner, Brown, Armstrong were all in place when he came along as well. Take a look at the "D" and you'll also be a little surprised at the nucleus you see - Collins, Goad, Saab, Hurst, Agnew, Vincent Brown -- all were there in '92 and in '94.

Coming aboard with the opportunity to start off with a Drew Bledsoe is one heck of a way to begin to turn things around. I am not going to say he was not an integral part of turning this franchise around, but I am also not going to put him in my list of top 5 list coach/gm/ team builders either.

He does not have that situation in Miami, so we'll see.....and if Henne or Beck happen to come close to Bledsoe, sure, I'll also write and tell you he lucked out once again.

He walks into the number 1 pick in he country that just happens to have a cannon for an arm......please, tell me where the great team builder had anything to do with that?? Not to mention that Coates, Gash, Turner, Brown, Armstrong were all in place when he came along as well. Take a look at the "D" and you'll also be a little surprised at the nucleus you see - Collins, Goad, Saab, Hurst, Agnew, Vincent Brown -- all were there in '92 and in '94.

Yes and most of those guys went 1-15 without him.

Walking into a team that has a guy like Drew means two things. As you state it means he has a decent situation (but at one position). You seem to forget that the reason they got Drew was because of how bad they were.

Yes and most of those guys went 1-15 without him.

Walking into a team that has a guy like Drew means two things. As you state it means he has a decent situation (but at one position). You seem to forget that the reason they got Drew was because of how bad they were.

Exactly- which set the stage for Parcells to look great - had nowhere to go but up, sort of like the Dolphins now - and the Jets - and the Giants waaay back.....hmmmm, I see a trend.

Hey, don't puke on my '92 pats, they were the best 1-15 team I ever saw - much better than Miami of 2007!!

For an apparent BB worshipper, you certainly fumbled the ball here. :rolleyes:
Al Groh was the Pats' DC in '96. BB came here that year as both assistant head coach and defensive backs coach.

When he went to the Jets, I'm not sure BB actually had the official title of DC, even though you can clearly see him calling plays on the defense. Without a doubt he was Jets assistant head coach for his entire time there. Only the Jets Media Guide of 1997-1999 would give you the answer.

are you suggesting that parcells gave al groh more authority than Belichick, the guy whose defenses won two super bowls with the giants? let's be honest here. Belichick was running the defense, despite what the media guide or anythign says. the point is - belichick comes on board and the pats go the super bowl. belichick leaves with parcells to go the jets and the team doesn't go back to the SB until 2001. belichick was there when the jets went to the AFC championship in 1998. Belichick was there when the giants won two super bowls. Belichick was there when we went to the super bowl in 1996. Belichick was NOT in Dallas when parcells couldn't win a single playoff game and had a .500 record.

Hey, don't puke on my '92 pats, they were the best 1-15 team I ever saw - much better than Miami of 2007!!

I agree with that. Hugh!!!

Exactly- which set the stage for Parcells to look great - had nowhere to go but up, sort of like the Dolphins now - and the Jets - and the Giants waaay back.....hmmmm, I see a trend.

Yeah but he is really good at it you can't deny that. It would be one thing if he got three chances to do it and succeeded once. Every time the team is better than before he got there. See the trend:D.

I'll give you some credit thar each time has been progresively less successful but I think he may be onto something with this recent situation, hand picking his coach and being the Personal guy. Though the above point about 92 pats being better shows how bad this dolphin team is.

are you suggesting that parcells gave al groh more authority than Belichick, the guy whose defenses won two super bowls with the giants? let's be honest here. Belichick was running the defense, despite what the media guide or anythign says.

Groh was Pats DC the entire time Parcells was here. Parcells never pulled the DC job away from Groh when BB arrived. As Assistant Head Coach, BB had great input on the entire Pats team next to Parcells, not just the defense. The only big part that I can still recall that BB changed on defense when he came here was switching to a 4-3. Don't forget he also spent great time coaching the secondary, because he was also the secondary (defensive backs) coach which Parcells assigned him for.

Were you even here in 1996? I certainly was and watched every game. Never saw BB calling any defensive plays. I did see Groh do it. There's no doubt (in my mind anyway) that BB was advising Groh all season long.

Hey if you want to be a revisionist and make us to believe he was Patriots defensive coordinator in 1996 when books and past new articles and information on the 'net tells you otherwise...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye