PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: What is your current opinion on Bill Parcells?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it-he's building a 53 man roster full of "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am" players in Miami, alot like he did here in Dallas during his 4 year tenure.

It's probably good news for you guys as the Fins are your divisional rivals(and Aqua is looking more like a fool)-but his ego and stubbornness is only going to drive this team to the ground, alot like he did with NYJ and Dallas.

Thoughts?

His era is long past. Unlike BB, The Tuna has one career style and is not known for modifying it. In contrast, BB is known for adapting his football approach to the evolving league environment, though not without error, q.v. his "interpretation" of Herr Komissioner Goodell's photography site and time restrictions memo.

I can't stand Parcells, but since his days with the Pats, regardless of the sh!t he pulled, when he does leave, the franchise(be it the Pats, Jets, or Cowboys) is better off than before he showed up.

As much as I hope he flops in Miami, I tend to think he'll have them poised to contend for by the time he leaves them as well.

I can see MIami winning 6 or 7 games and start to become a pain in the arse. If Farve goes there they are instant contenders.

As much as I hate to say it-he's building a 53 man roster full of "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am" players in Miami, alot like he did here in Dallas during his 4 year tenure.

It's probably good news for you guys as the Fins are your divisional rivals(and Aqua is looking more like a fool)-but his ego and stubbornness is only going to drive this team to the ground, alot like he did with NYJ and Dallas.

Thoughts?

belichick made that guy as a coach.

as far as his drafting is concerned, he's darn good at it. he brought in so many good players for us including bruschi, milloy, law, vinitieri, mcginist, bledsoe, etc.

There's no denying his football knowledge and skills. And results.

This said, he's still a jackass and an (_._)hole in my book.

His best days are behind him. If he doesn't produce in the next 3 years he'll hang it up.

I think it's a big mistake to underestimate Bill Parcells. They'll be better with him than they were before, and that's not good for us.

belichick made that guy as a coach.

I'm sorry this is not true. Look at each spot he's been before he got there and after he left, and the upgrade is undeniable. 2 of those stints were without Belichick (except one year here when BB was the secondary coach).

He just lost 2 games he shouldn't have and you would look at his tenures completely different. Jets at Denver in the 1998 season AFC title game, they had a 10-0 lead at halftime. They would have beaten the Falcons.

They were set up to be really good in 99 too but Vinny got hurt in the opener. And then the Dallas game, the wild card game in 2006 season, to Seattle, which they would have won if Romo didn't botch the hold. They win that game, they could have easily beaten the Bears, who I think was next. Either way Dallas was loaded for bear last year and they are again all with his players.

Parcells is obviously a Hall of Fame coach, who would have been inducted before if they didn't think he would be returning. That said he was awful in his departure from here, thats probably an understatement. That was a complete disgrace and an atrocity. That said he left the Pats in good shape and it's not his fault they screwed it up over the next 3 years. So while the ending here was a disgrace (his departure), any Pats fan would have signed for the 4-year improvement that he brought here.

Last edited:
He's got nice boobs.

I'm sorry this is not true. Look at each spot he's been before he got there and after he left, and the upgrade is undeniable. 2 of those stints were without Belichick (except one year here when BB was the secondary coach).

He just lost 2 games he shouldn't have and you would look at his tenures completely different. Jets at Denver in the 1998 season AFC title game, they had a 10-0 lead at halftime. They would have beaten the Falcons.

They were set up to be really good in 99 too but Vinny got hurt in the opener. And then the Dallas game, the wild card game in 2006 season, to Seattle, which they would have won if Romo didn't botch the hold. They win that game, they could have easily beaten the Bears, who I think was next. Either way Dallas was loaded for bear last year and they are again all with his players.

Parcells is obviously a Hall of Fame coach, who would have been inducted before if they didn't think he would be returning. That said he was awful in his departure from here, thats probably an understatement. That was a complete disgrace and an atrocity. That said he left the Pats in good shape and it's not his fault they screwed it up over the next 3 years. So while the ending here was a disgrace (his departure), any Pats fan would have signed for the 4-year improvement that he brought here.

i'd have to disagree, :) parcells has undeniably made the giants, jets, cowboys and patriots better. however, if you look closely, there's one thing in common that those teams have besides parcells being HC. Belichick was on the coaching staff of all those teams as the defensive coordinator. We were something like 5-12 the year before we went to the super bowl in 96. I believe that was BB's first year as defensive coordinator of the patriots.

Parcells' overall record as coach - 172-130-1.

Parcells without Belichick - 67-76-1 (.465). Playoff record of 1-4 (.200).

Thoughts?

What are you nuts? He'll drive them into the ground at first, that's because they started out six feet under ground.

You need to check where the Jets and patriots were when he started.

The cowgirls i can't explain because they have a loony owner that gets facelifts like a woman and thinks PacMan is a great player to turn a team around.

I just love the revisionist historians.:rolleyes:

We were something like 5-12 the year before we went to the super bowl in 96. I believe that was BB's first year as defensive coordinator of the patriots.

For an apparent BB worshipper, you certainly fumbled the ball here. :rolleyes:
Al Groh was the Pats' DC in '96. BB came here that year as both assistant head coach and defensive backs coach.

When he went to the Jets, I'm not sure BB actually had the official title of DC, even though you can clearly see him calling plays on the defense. Without a doubt he was Jets assistant head coach for his entire time there. Only the Jets Media Guide of 1997-1999 would give you the answer.

I can see MIami winning 6 or 7 games and start to become a pain in the arse. If Farve goes there they are instant contenders.

:wha: :rofl::rofl:
Favre to dolphins= contender????? please explain how you think that will happen.

As much as I hate to admit it, the guy's a great evaluator of talent. The position he's holding in Miami is perfect for him. Let's see if he's smart enough to leave the coaching to his head coach.....

i'd have to disagree, :) parcells has undeniably made the giants, jets, cowboys and patriots better. however, if you look closely, there's one thing in common that those teams have besides parcells being HC. Belichick was on the coaching staff of all those teams as the defensive coordinator. We were something like 5-12 the year before we went to the super bowl in 96. I believe that was BB's first year as defensive coordinator of the patriots.

Was BB consulting for Dallas.....looking over video feeds of Cowboy practices....while leading the Patriots to Superbowls?

As others have said, BB was the secondary coach for the Pats with Al Groh the coordinator in 1996. And of course, as others said, he wasn't there in Dallas.

And (just looked it up) only 5 coaches including Parcells have ever taken 2 different teams to the Super Bowl.

I'm not saying he's better than Belichick, but if you want to say Parcells is nothing without Belichick, it's worth noting that he doesn't have a "Cleveland" on his resume like BB does (circumstances aside, 37-45 is still 37-45). And then you can add that BB hasn't won without Brady, by the way. Just saying.

For an apparent BB worshipper, you certainly fumbled the ball here. :rolleyes:
Al Groh was the Pats' DC in '96. BB came here that year as both assistant head coach and defensive backs coach.

When he went to the Jets, I'm not sure BB actually had the official title of DC, even though you can clearly see him calling plays on the defense. Without a doubt he was Jets assistant head coach for his entire time there. Only the Jets Media Guide of 1997-1999 would give you the answer.

I think you are taking the wrong argument. Wether BB was Asst. head coach or coordinator he certainly had a big piece in the Pats turn around that season. But that doesn't mean Parcells stinks with out Belichick.

Most really good head coaches have really good assistants under them. Look at the Walsh/Holmgren tree, Shannahan had Kubiac, Belichick had Weis and Romeo (and even Mangina), Cohwer had some good assitants who are now head coaches.

IMO having good assitants and who was under you has nothing to do with a persons ability as a coach. I mean I am not going to be a successful head coach even if I had BB as my decoordinator and Walsh as the offensive coordinator.

BB is better than Parcells because he has won more titles as a head coach not because he won without Parcells when Parcells won with BB.

Parcells is excellent at analyzing and evaluating college players and how their skill sets will translate to the pro level. As a coach though, his style is one that basically grinds players down after a couple of years. You see improvement with his new teams right away but it appears to me that his players eventually tune him out after about year 3. After a crappy year 4, he quits.
As a talent evaluator, near the top of the game. As a coach, not so much!

Parcells is excellent at analyzing and evaluating college players and how their skill sets will translate to the pro level. As a coach though, his style is one that basically grinds players down after a couple of years. You see improvement with his new teams right away but it appears to me that his players eventually tune him out after about year 3. After a crappy year 4, he quits.
As a talent evaluator, near the top of the game. As a coach, not so much!

Than in your opinion is he in a good situation in Miami. A blank slate in wich to bring the talent in that you say, and I don't argue, he is really good at and he has someone else to coach them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes