Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: What is this boards stance on thread necroing?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by xmarkd400x, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xmarkd400x

xmarkd400x Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

To necro a thread is to post on it long after the thread has lived its life. Suppose the thread had its last post some time in April or May of this year, it's dead. If somebody digs back and finds it, then posts to it, they revive the thread. This revival is called a thread necro.

I personally do not like thread necros because they are confusing. In some forums, thread necro is against the rules.

I am wondering what the stance of this board is. I tend to report posts that necro threads, but I will stop if this board is okay with it.

-xmarkd400x

Edit: The general rule, if you wish to comment on a dead thread, is to create a new thread and link to or quote from the old one.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  2. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +900 / 18 / -24

No Jersey Selected

As long as the thread that is bumped is able to spike some interesting conversation then I could care less.
  3. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Computer geek.
  4. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Confusing? How so? The dates of each post are posted.

And most of the bumped threads are only a month or so old.
  5. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

People who make retardedly embarrassing threads with outlandish predictions or statements deserve to have them bumped when they turn out to be wrong. It's not that hard to look at the dates of the OP or see if the subject matter doesn't exactly gel with what is currently going on.
  6. SaCaCh

SaCaCh Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

I tell ya, I can't wait to bring this thread back in about a year...comedy gold that will be!!!
  7. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

There are new words for everything now...I am sure if Ian and the mods wanted dead threads NOT to be brought back, there is a way that could be done system wise..(after a few months..) That is more an Ian decision if anything..My only comment is that I have seen recently a few brought back and neither was really relevant to the exact topic...more tangental. I have now edited my original comments to say I tend to agree with the OP that instead of bringing the whole thread back to just link to the original...(in the interem of my post, I found a few more, It has been a rare occurence, but with some posters just looking to bring back old topics..it seem in vogue now. NOT a good trend in my opinion..It's a not a biggie...important, but more of an annoyance..)
  8. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Currently, I am a threadomancer.
  9. xmarkd400x

xmarkd400x Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I see what you set up there.

Thanks...

Fair and agreed. I think a month old thread isn't quite "dead", but I have seen (not today, but previously) threads over a year old bumped.

You're a terrible person.

I agree that ultimately it's Ian's call. I was just wondering what people thought. I typically report necros because in most forums I have been in, its frowned upon. I also personally dislike the practice. However, if it is the opinion of this community that it's ok, then I'm ok with it here.
  10. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Is that the word for today??? Reminds me of an old VDGG song "necromancer"...
  11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +478 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

There is No Way David Patten is Making This Team" ... :rofl:
  12. since67

since67 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Computer Geek? You make it sound as if that is a bad thing when it isn't.

I don't see the point in bringing back the thread JUST to make somebody pay for being wrong. It's mean spirited. Start a new thread, whine about the poster being wrong and link their post if that's your candy.

If you want a forum in which each thread brings information to discuss that is interesting it would seem that these types of 'ooooh...you were WRONG' threads would be counterproductive.
  13. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Otherwise people don't learn. We were inundated with useless chicken little threads during preseason and it sucked. Everyone of those should be bumped. People shouldn't be making threads saying dumb crap like "blow it up, this team has no heart," or make predictions like "this team will go 6-10" and if they waste board space with that crap they should be publicly ridiculed until they cry.

It's one thing to go against th grain, it's another to make borderline bandwagon troll threads that are just completely idiotic.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Old threads are terrific. They're documented evidence of a persons prior positions, or predictions. When you do your taxes, do you toss the info into the trash a few months later? Of course you don't. It's not as if it's costing you anything to leave a thread on the database. I think in a forum, especially one where people are beating and discussing all sorts of topics, access to history is a good thing.
  15. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

better than being a Threadofile. :eek:
  16. fourthandmiles

fourthandmiles Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last week I read three pages of a 6 month old thread about... I don't remember, probably chad jackson.... and did not pay any attention to the date until I got to my OWN post. Thought to my self when did I post that?
  17. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

I don't know how likely it is that people will learn, but I found looking through some of those old threads interesting and illuminating: it certainly told me something about some posters. If they don't like being shown up, tough! Perhaps now we should necro the "our defense is going to be dominant" threads ... ;)
  18. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

the thread is titled "this defense CAN be dominant," and I still believe that. I didn't make a blanket statement or prediction either way though.
  19. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I am totally opposed to it. :D

Wait, when is this thread from anyhow? :eek:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.