PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: What does it mean when they say an DLineman gets leverage on an Olineman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phokus

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I hear this all the time when a Dlineman dominates an OLineman, they say he got great 'leverage'. Can someone explain this to me? I understand leverage in terms of torque, but i don't see how this applies to how the dline interacts with the oline...

Phokus said:
I hear this all the time when a Dlineman dominates an OLineman, they say he got great 'leverage'. Can someone explain this to me? I understand leverage in terms of torque, but i don't see how this applies to how the dline interacts with the oline...

It's about establishing a dominant position, where the defensive lineman can get lower than the offensive lineman, or "under his pads" as a lot of coaches will put it, and optimally his hands inside the offensive lineman's frame, where he can exert leverage through his core to drive the offensive lineman back, or shift his weight to either side.

The O-lineman is trying to get his hands 'inside' grabbing the Jersey over the pectoral muscles and under the shoulder pads to force the D-lineman to stand up straight, this takes the D-lineman's leg drive away and allows the O-lineman to steer him to open a hole or throwing lane.

The D-lineman combats this by getting his hands on the O-lineman first and forcing him to stand up straight. This is what was killing Wilfork early in the season, he was losing the hand speed battle and losing the power of his legs. When he backed up a step off the line, he was able to get his hands up faster and win the hand fighting to get his hands inside on the C.

Last edited:
Ok that makes sense, thanks guys.

re:

This sounds a lot like Sumo wrestling.

Why aren't there more sumo wrestlers in the NFL?

They would dominate the hand placement and be able to push guys back. It's their specialty.

maverick4 said:
This sounds a lot like Sumo wrestling.

Why aren't there more sumo wrestlers in the NFL?

They would dominate the hand placement and be able to push guys back. It's their specialty.

They use their hands? Wow! Multi-talented those lads! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey