PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: What coaches get fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I heard Cable has an option due and that has or will have a lot to do with the decision. It's kind of ironic because Davis has gone on record as saying that he is willing to overpay for players, but when it comes to coaches he has a reputation for being notoriously cheap. Aside from wanting to pay them less than the going rate, he tries to find ways to not pay them at all (Shanahan, Kiffin).

There's also a report that the 49ers want to hire the Raiders OC, Hue Jackson. Davis has a reputation for going a bit overboard in expecting loyalty from his staff so I don't know if he'll just fire Jackson for considering the move, or promote him to HC to spite their rival across the bay.

Then to add yet another layer to this soap opera, SF interviewed Jackson for their OC in 2009, but he went with Oakland instead. That decision may have played a big part in Mike Singletary getting fired, because the 49ers offense was horrible.

That's one thing that always irked me about Davis. When I got back into football in the mid-'90s, I thought the Raiders were one of those "cool" franchises like the Packers or the Steelers, with a winning history and stable ownership. So when I heard there was a feud between Shanahan and Davis, I assumed at first that Shanahan was the dink. Boy was I wrong. Davis fired Shanahan and then refused to honor the contract by paying him the rest of the money he was due. When Shanahan tried to get it, Davis told him he'd have to pursue legal action if he wanted it. What a jerk!

And making a guy your HC just out of spite is an utterly stupid thing to do, but it sounds like exactly the type of thing Davis would do. And even more stupid is that the team he's trying to spite isn't even in the same conference! What a moron!

Course, this is the same man who was offered a brand-spankin'-new stadium in Los Angeles, but refused because the league wanted him to share it with another team. :bricks:

And yes, the loyalty thing. A couple years ago, when Howie Long's son was in the draft (I can never remember his first name because there was another big name player with the last name Long that year), I heard that Davis wanted to draft him solely because he was Howie's kid, and Howie had several good years with the Raiders. And everyone was trying to tell him, "Al, we don't need any help at his position, and someone else will draft him so it's not like we're the only team that will give him a chance!" Makes me wonder how they ever talked him out of it.

According to Mike & Mike, Tony Sporano is hanging on by a thread down in Miami. Greenie described it as "dating a supermodel who has told you she'll dump you as soon as she meets someone better" - he doesn't want to leave, so he'll hang on as long as he can, but the organization apparently has no faith in him anymore. Sounds like the players have been dissing him in public too. (I heard a quote from Ricky Williams about that last night, but I figured, well it's Ricky, who knows how many brain cells are still firing? ;) )

Also, it depends on if they can nab a "star" coach like Cowher or Harbaugh. What a rotten situation for the guy. Not that it bothers me, it's good to have another division rival in organizational turmoil. :singing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back