PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: What coaches get fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no question that Cowher will be the hottest coaching prospect out there. The problem is that he will want complete control over personnel decisions. That means that GMs who are entrenched like Jerry Reese in NY, he won't go so his options are limited. Plus, the Mara family believe in seperation of power b/t/w GM and HC. Parcells/Young, etc.

There was an article a year or two back about how Cowher is very close to both families (Mara and Tisch). Why that is, I am not sure.

It will all come down to how the owners feel 03 Jan. They have the SB but three years of meltdown. On NFLN, it has been noted how furious the Mara's were after 2009.

Reese has certainly brought in talent but the roster seems stacked with meatheads. Obviously, this can go anyway.

This would seem to be the first logjam on the coaching front.

There was an article a year or two back about how Cowher is very close to both families (Mara and Tisch). Why that is, I am not sure.

It will all come down to how the owners feel 03 Jan. They have the SB but three years of meltdown. On NFLN, it has been noted how furious the Mara's were after 2009.

Reese has certainly brought in talent but the roster seems stacked with meatheads. Obviously, this can go anyway.

This would seem to be the first logjam on the coaching front.

Didn't know the Cowher relationship there with G-Men ownership. If they are down on Reese, you may see ole Bill land in NY.

I'm not sure of his but I think Cowher has a place outside Raleigh, NC. With his wife passing last year, he may want to be closer to his children and take a close look at the Panther's opening.

Some people in the NY media have floated Fisher as a Giants coaching candidate, citing the (supposed?) fact that no head coach has won Super Bowls with two different teams. Even so, I still think it's Cowher in NY if Coughlin goes out.

Didn't know the Cowher relationship there with G-Men ownership. If they are down on Reese, you may see ole Bill land in NY.

I'm not sure of his but I think Cowher has a place outside Raleigh, NC. With his wife passing last year, he may want to be closer to his children and take a close look at the Panther's opening.

The article I reference was aimed to dispel the notion that Cowher was waiting on Carolina.

His wife was from NC so it's plausible that the move there was done due to her illness coupled with a self imposed "excile".

There is also the money aspect. Cowher was livid in 2006, that Holmgren was making $10 million, he was making $4 million. I think that is the disqualifier for the Panthers because they have most of the pieces for a "Cowher" team.

Also, his daughters went to Princeton so they most likely live in the NYC area.

The article I reference was aimed to dispel the notion that Cowher was waiting on Carolina.

His wife was from NC so it's plausible that the move there was done due to her illness coupled with a self imposed "excile".

There is also the money aspect. Cowher was livid in 2006, that Holmgren was making $10 million, he was making $4 million. I think that is the disqualifier for the Panthers because they have most of the pieces for a "Cowher" team.

Also, his daughters went to Princeton so they most likely live in the NYC area.

Interesting. Didn't know that his kids went to Princeton. Thought one of his daughters went to some college in NC but I'd need to look it up.

Interesting. Didn't know that his kids went to Princeton. Thought one of his daughters went to some college in NC but I'd need to look it up.
As I recall Cowher has one daughter that goes or went to school in NC or SC, and the other(s) go/went to Princeton. I also seem to recall that after Cowher retired he moved to NC; that in turn fueled speculation at the time that he would be more open to coaching the Panthers than some other team.

Hot Seat
John Fox (2-13) (Let Go, Replaced by Jim Harbaugh, Drafts Andrew Luck)
Marvin Lewis (4-11) (Let Go, replaced by Mike Zimmer or Brian Billick)
Eric Mangini (5-10) (Job is Kept)
Gary Kubiak (5-10) (Fired, is replaced by Josh Mcdaniels..........maybe not)
Jeff Fisher (6-9) (Job is Kept, Drafts new QB, VY is cut or traded)
Tony Sparano (7-8) (Job is kept)
Tom Coughlin (9-6) (Fired, is replaced by Bill Cowher)

Interim
Jim Tomsula (0-0) (Fired, is Replaced by John Fox)
Eric Studesville (1-2) (Fired, is replaced by Jason Garrett or Marvin Lewis)
Leslie Frazier (2-2) (Job is kept)
Jason Garrett (4-3) (Fired, is replaced by Mike Holmgren)

Fox, Lewis, Kubiak, Fisher and Sparano I think are the ones that will all be gone. I think the Browns are dumb enough to give Ratgini one more go-around. Same with the Giants and Coughlin. Of the interims, I would think Leslie Frazier is the best bet to be retained.

A couple quick thoughts...

Jack Del Rio - Back in August I thought for sure he'd be gone as soon as the season was over, if not sooner. But now, like has been said earlier, he's on the verge of winning the division, and rarely does a coach get fired after making the playoffs. (Marty Schottenheimer in San Diego and Jimmy Johnson in Dallas are rare exceptions.)

Gary Kubiak - Word on the street is Houston will send him packing, but he'll immediately get hired by Denver because John Elway likes him.

Tony Sparano - Again with the word on the street, this time that the Phins will get rid of him if they can get a committment from Bill Cowher because their owner (can't remember who owns them now) is big on hiring "stars" whenever he can.

It's been mentioned but, you need to edit Norv into that list.

Just look at our victory over them and how they made the absolute least of their talent. How can you say that's a well coached team?

Last edited:
As I recall Cowher has one daughter that goes or went to school in NC or SC, and the other(s) go/went to Princeton. I also seem to recall that after Cowher retired he moved to NC; that in turn fueled speculation at the time that he would be more open to coaching the Panthers than some other team.

The whole timeline is a little fuzzy. His wife had a long illness. I don't know if it started before or after they moved. One of the daughters might have gone to school in NC to be close to her mother. Cowher is a pittsburgh native, went to NC State, and his wife was from NC.

My best guess is Carolina was the initial target but the money would never be there. A reasonable defense, good Oline and running game is certainly "Cowher" material.

However, if the close relationship is true, the money/control can certainly follow.

It will come down to the owner evaluation. Also, it's not like Cowher doesn't understand following a Super Bowl winning coach. A large segment of the Steeler fandom do give him credit for cleaning out the rot that began to build up from his Chuck Noll.

Leslie Frazier looks like he earned the head coaching spot after last night.

I think Tom Coughlin's job depends on the Giants getting in the playoffs next week, which they'll need help with. Wonder if the decision to get rid of Mangini is already done or if sweeping the Ravens this year will keep his job.

Kubiak is the clear MUST FIRE to me, one of the worst coaches in football.

So Norv Turner and Jason Garett both officially back for next year.

Strong reports that Leslie Frazier, Gary Kubiak and Tony Sparano will be back.

John Fox the only guy fired so far.

ESPN: Cable likely out as Raiders coach

Wow, the Raiders finally have a competitive season, SWEEP the AFC West and seem to be really be on the verge of winning it next year. Instead of keeping things going, they're going to get rid of the head coach.

Nice.

Last edited:
So far....

Confirmed Safe by Team
Gary Kubiak
Jack Del Rio
Leslie Frazier
Marvin Lewis
Norv Turner
Tom Coughlin

Fired
Eric Mangni
John Fox
Mike Singletary

Hot Seat
Jeff Fisher
Tom Cable
Tony Sporano

A little while ago a friend sent me a link to a story saying that Marvin Lewis "left the Bengals campus" and would not be returning due to a dispute with management over the future of the team.

I went to the story, and literally there was already another headline on the page saying that Lewis had signed an extension with them.

This franchise is such a joke that the league should contract it. Take them and Arizona or some other franchise where the ownership doesn't seem to give a dang about anything but making money, toss them out, bring the league back to 30 teams with 6 5-team divisions.

ESPN: Cable likely out as Raiders coach

Wow, the Raiders finally have a competitive season, SWEEP the AFC West and seem to be really be on the verge of winning it next year. Instead of keeping things going, they're going to get rid of the head coach.

Nice.
From what I heard Cable has an option due and that has or will have a lot to do with the decision. It's kind of ironic because Davis has gone on record as saying that he is willing to overpay for players, but when it comes to coaches he has a reputation for being notoriously cheap. Aside from wanting to pay them less than the going rate, he tries to find ways to not pay them at all (Shanahan, Kiffin).

There's also a report that the 49ers want to hire the Raiders OC, Hue Jackson. Davis has a reputation for going a bit overboard in expecting loyalty from his staff so I don't know if he'll just fire Jackson for considering the move, or promote him to HC to spite their rival across the bay.

Then to add yet another layer to this soap opera, SF interviewed Jackson for their OC in 2009, but he went with Oakland instead. That decision may have played a big part in Mike Singletary getting fired, because the 49ers offense was horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes