PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: What coaches get fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pessimistic Pete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Looks like there could be lots of changes this year, who do you see going?

Hot Seat
John Fox (2-13)
Marvin Lewis (4-11)
Eric Mangini (5-10)
Gary Kubiak (5-10)
Jeff Fisher (6-9)
Tony Sparano (7-8)
Tom Coughlin (9-6)

Interim
Jim Tomsula (0-0)
Eric Studesville (1-2)
Leslie Frazier (2-2)
Jason Garrett (4-3)

Last edited:

Hot Seat
Gary Kubiak
Jeff Fisher
John Fox
Marvin Lewis
Tom Coughlin
Tony Sparano

Interim
Eric Studesville
Jason Garrett
Jim Tomsula
Leslie Frazier

Lewis - definately
Fisher - more than likely
Sparano- probably
Coughlin- probably but maybe not

Only way I see Coughlin keeping his job is if the Giants can beat the Redskins and the Packers lose to the Bears, getting them in the playoffs.

Technically Fox and Lewis are lame ducks (I think) so they can't really be fired, their services just won't be retained, I believe both will be gone.

Coughlin is the only one that will probably still have a job at the end of the season, but the Fisher situation will be interesting to follow. The owner already said that he expects both Fisher and V.Young to honor their contracts next year. We'll see who forces their way out of town.

Only way I see Coughlin keeping his job is if the Giants can beat the Redskins and the Packers lose to the Bears, getting them in the playoffs.

Coughlin will be 65 in August and one year left on his current deal.

Regardless of this season's outcome, I would not be surprised if Mara and Tisch ask him to retire so all parties can exit the relationship gracefully.

Coughlin is stubborn. Who knows if that scenario will play out

Last edited:
I expect John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Eric Mangini, and Gary Kubiak to be looking for work.

Hot Seat
John Fox (2-13) - Not retained, but not fired
Marvin Lewis (4-11) - Not retained, but not fired
Eric Mangini (5-10) - Fired, don't be surprised if Holmgren makes himself a head coach. Mangini definitelty isn't in Holmgren's long term plans either way
Gary Kubiak (5-10) - Fired
Jeff Fisher (6-9) - It is my understanding that he can void his contract at any time. I think he might do so and become the Cowboys head coach
Tony Sparano (7-8) - Fired, new regime in the front office. Might survive and get cut next year
Tom Coughlin (9-6) - Survives. Still has enough Super Bowl clout to get one more year

Interim
Jim Tomsula (0-0) - Won't keep the HC title, but might stay
Eric Studesville (1-2) - Won't keep the HC title, but might stay
Leslie Frazier (2-2) - Won't keep the HC title, but might stay
Jason Garrett (4-3) - Likely fired. He won't stay head coach. The fact that he was at one point being groomed as the heir apparent would undermine the new coach and he will clean house of him

See above, for my individual comments on each

Hot Seat
John Fox (2-13)
Marvin Lewis (4-11)
Eric Mangini (5-10)
Gary Kubiak (5-10)
Jeff Fisher (6-9)
Tony Sparano (7-8)
Tom Coughlin (9-6)

Interim
Jim Tomsula (0-0)
Eric Studesville (1-2)
Leslie Frazier (2-2)
Jason Garrett (4-3)

Not only will Mangini be fired but the best he can do will be as possibly Gatorade coordinator. Seriously ... he should find himself a college gig somewhere just so people forget about him for a while.

Hot Seat
John Fox (2-13)
Marvin Lewis (4-11)
Eric Mangini (5-10)
Gary Kubiak (5-10)
Jeff Fisher (6-9)
Tony Sparano (7-8)
Tom Coughlin (9-6)

Probably all of them.

How does Jack Delrio keep his job?

What about Norv? You'd have to be blind to not see that coaching fail from miles away.

How does Jack Delrio keep his job?

Well, considering he still might win the AFC South, I don't know how he could be fired yet.

Well, considering he still might win the AFC South, I don't know how he could be fired yet.

No kidding on Del Rio. They have a new GM now so I gotta think his days are numbered.

Last edited:
Not only will Mangini be fired but the best he can do will be as possibly Gatorade coordinator. Seriously ... he should find himself a college gig somewhere just so people forget about him for a while.

We said the same thing when he was fired as coach of the JEST, and look at what happened. :mad:

No kidding on Del Rio. They have a new GM now so I gotta think his days are numbered.

I never understood how Jeff Fisher & Del Rio get to keep their jobs. Seems like a voodoo magic.

That is alot of positions.

Anybody have any idea what the record is for turnover? At some point available talent will limit the turnover.

If Cowher really wants the Giants, he gets it. He has the cred to come in and clean out the meatheads.

That is alot of positions.

Anybody have any idea what the record is for turnover? At some point available talent will limit the turnover.

If Cowher really wants the Giants, he gets it. He has the cred to come in and clean out the meatheads.

There is no question that Cowher will be the hottest coaching prospect out there. The problem is that he will want complete control over personnel decisions. That means that GMs who are entrenched like Jerry Reese in NY, he won't go so his options are limited. Plus, the Mara family believe in seperation of power b/t/w GM and HC. Parcells/Young, etc.

Last edited:
Absolutely Gone
John Fox, Carolina- Contract is Expiring, he is gone, look for Harbaugh/Luck combo both going to Carolina here. No way he comes back

Jason Garrett, Dallas- Jerry Jones basically said on MNF the other night, that he is hiring either Gruden or Cowler. I would expect Gruden. Garrett will have the opportunity to come back as Offensive Coordinator (if Cowler takes the job) if it's Gruden, he is gone altogether.

Eric Mangini, Cleveland- This will be the end of the road for the Mangenius. Look for Holmgren to bring in one of his disciples, cough, cough, Gruden (if he doesn't take the Dallas job)

Marvin Lewis, Cinncinatti- I have no idea how this guy still has a job, but this has to be the end of it. Look for a young (inexpensive) coordinator to get the job here.

Leslie Frazier, Minnesota- Ziggy needs to make a splash here, he wants a new stadium and to get it, he is going to have to a) win, and b) excite the fanbase. Look for Brian Billick to return to Minnesota here.

San Francisco- Put me down as shocked that they did not play hard for Singletary, don't count him out as a HC down the road, but the lack of a QB doomed him. SF needs a QB, that is a must for whoever comes in to run the show and coach this team. A very winnable division, might make this an attractive landing spot for a HC.

More than Likely Gone

Gary Kubiak, Houston- what a crash and burn, they put everything into beating Indy in that opener and they were done after that.

Jeff Fisher, Tennessee- Look for Adams to try and get some compensation for Fischer before letting him go. But I think he is going to (mistakenly) stick with Vince Young, and Fischer will be out at Tennessee and quickly picked up to coach someplace else in 2011.

Tony Sparano, Miami- Will be a victim of bad QB play plus a new front office.

Safe
Tom Coughlin, I think the SB gives him another year, the Giants have their new stadium, so I think he gets another year.

Last edited:
Hot Seat
John Fox (2-13) - Dead man walking. Might actually be interesting to see how deep he goes into the playbook against Atlanta.

Marvin Lewis (4-11) - Gone.

Eric Mangini (5-10) - 85% gone.

Gary Kubiak (5-10) - Gone.

Jeff Fisher (6-9) - Bags were packed when Adams decided to stay with Young.

Tony Sparano (7-8) - If the Pats play for real and the Doofs pull it out in Foxboro, he might keep his job. We all know how likely that is.

Tom Coughlin (9-6) - Has to beat the Redskins, and even then, it's not guaranteed unless they make the playoffs.

Interim
Jim Tomsula (0-0) - He'll be the D-Coordinator either in San Fran or somewhere else. The Yorks want a real long-term solution.

Eric Studesville (1-2) - Bowlen likes the big names, methinks. Gone.

Leslie Frazier (2-2) - Wilf might keep him, might not. 50-50 proposition.

Jason Garrett (4-3) - Gone. Jones needs to sell tickets, and he'll want a marquee name; you know, the Jest model of team-building.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots