PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Wearing a helmet IS a rule, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkypony

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
because I have spent the last hour ripping apart the rule book on NFL.com and I came up empty handed. Does anyone have a more complete rulebook perhaps? I know this is kind of an obvious question, but I'd just like to see what the actual rule is (this is for my research project mentioned in the other thread).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
That would be awesome if someone didn't wear a helmet. He'd immediately become a media star and a cult hero. That is, until he had a head-on collision and ended his career after the 1st quarter.

Last edited:
For those too lazy to link and read chapter 3

Section 3 Equipment, Uniforms, Player Appearance
Article 1
........They must wear equipment offering reasonable protection to themselves while reasonably avoiding risk of injury to other players.

Mandatory Equipment, Apparel
Article 3 All players must wear the equipment and uniform apparel listed below, which must be of a suitably protective nature, must be designed and produced by a professional manufacturer, and must not be cut, reduced in size, or otherwise altered unless for medical reasons approved in advance by the Commissioner; provided, however, that during pregame warm-ups players may omit certain protective equipment at their option, except that helmets must be worn. ........

( a) Helmet with chin strap (white only) fastened and face mask attached. Face masks must not be more than 5/8-inch in diameter and must be made of rounded material; transparent materials are prohibited.

Clear (transparent) plastic face shields for eye protection are optional. Tinted eye shields may be worn only after the League office is supplied with appropriate medical documentation and approval is subsequently granted. The League office has final approval. .....

Wearing a helmet while looking up rules should be madatory.

Clear (transparent) plastic face shields for eye protection are optional. Tinted eye shields may be worn only after the League office is supplied with appropriate medical documentation and approval is subsequently granted. The League office has final approval. .....
With this in mind, I noticed that LT wears a dark shield, but he doesn't have glasses...so how is it he got League office approval? if it is crap then why not Brady?....Can you imagine if Brady had a dark shield so corners couldn't see his eyes?

:cool:

With this in mind, I noticed that LT wears a dark shield, but he doesn't have glasses...so how is it he got League office approval? if it is crap then why not Brady?....Can you imagine if Brady had a dark shield so corners couldn't see his eyes?

:cool:

Well it would also hurt his ability to read the defense and track his receivers.

LT is authorized his dark shield becuase he is medically certified as susceptible to migraine headaches when exposed to bright lights for too long.

why not Brady?....Can you imagine if Brady had a dark shield so corners couldn't see his eyes?

Yeah; I think brady should come down with a couple of migrane headaches during the offseason. :D

Well it would also hurt his ability to read the defense and track his receivers. ..

Not sure how you figure that? I mean do sunglasses hurt or help your ability to see the other cars on the highway when passing?
Yeah it could hurt if you get shadows going across the field (just like driving through a tunnel) but if you had that sun-sensitive tint thing going on it should be fine.

LT is authorized his dark shield becuase he is medically certified as susceptible to migraine headaches when exposed to bright lights for too long.

I love this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye