Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Water on Mars!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_340020925.html

(CBS 5) WASHINGTON NASA is expected to make a major announcement Wednesday regarding a "significant find" on Mars.

NASA said the finding was a result of the Mars Global Surveyor mission.

According to Aviation Week and Space Technology, the space agency will talk about the discovery of "flowing water" on the surface of the Red Planet.

A NASA news conference is scheduled for 10 am US/Pacific.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

Oh Jesus Christ now what.
  3. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Holy crap, that IS huge. If there's water there's a very good chance for at least microbial life, and the chance that we're not alone as the only intelligence in the universe increases. That, to me, is WAY more interesting than politics.
  4. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

After laying on your back out in field on a clear night and looking up into space how anyone in their right mind can still say "we are alone" is mind boggling.

If we are here, they Must be there, the universe is endless, why would any well educated inteligent person be so ignorant as to think that we are all alone in this universe.

Why would some batty goofy college professor say that "Crop Circles" are caused by "Swamp Gas"

When the farmer goes to bed after the 11:00 o'clock news his fields are normal, when he goes out at 6:00 AM there is a perfectly designed "Crop Circle" a mile wide, these Whacky Egg Heads try to tell us that two guys with a little board made them.

When you are in a wide open space on a clear night out in the country, look up, you will see little lights no bigger than a pin point, they change direction, stars don't do this, satellites don't do this, what are they, ask an Egg Head then listen to the crazy sh!t he will come up with.

They're Out There :bricks:
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

There you go, Harry, mixing common sense with tinfoil-hat conspiracy theories.

The chance that there's other life in the universe is incredibly huge, but the chance of us coming in contact with it is very, very tiny. And the chances of intelligent beings coming over here to burn circles in our fields is... it's just a dumb idea, OK?

The universe is HUGE. The Milky Way, including the Galactic Halo, is about 400,000 light years accross (a light year is 6 trillion miles). Being that the speed of light seems like an absolute speed limit of the universe that can never be broken, it makes the chances of life encountering distant life very... well, distant.
  6. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Harry I know why people refuse to accept that we are not alone. Its because your church tells them that God created earth and man here...and they believe that absurd crapola. It boosts their egos. To find that you have at least thought about the presence of life elsewhere in the universe is really a relief. I think theres hope for you.

AS to the water on Mars, I'm not surprised. Next we will seed it, create oxygen there, and live happily ever after, leaving the radioactive, polluted remnants of this stinking stone for the looney religious fundies to blow themselves up over. :bricks:
  7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

I agree (Religion Thing) Imagine what will happen to the Pope, The Rev Jessie Jackoff and Billy Graham if they find out that a space ship parted the Red Sea and the Guy they saw walking on water came from another world.

The Crop Circles:
    They are perfect, they are huge, did two guys with a three foot board and a piece of rope make them in 8 hours and they have never been caught.

Who is making Crop Circles, how do they get perfect measurments, why have they never been seen, do these two guys with the board do this in the dark.

There's a lot of smart people on this forum, where do Crop Circles come from.

Read This Slowly, A PERFECTLY MEASURED DESIGNED ARTISTIC MILE WIDE CROP CIRCLE MADE IN A FIELD WHILE THE FARMER SLEEPS, NO NOISE, NO LIGHTS ALL DONE FROM DARK TILL DAWN, BY TWO GUYS WITH A BOARD AND A PIECE OF ROPE. :singing:

WHO IS DOING IT, WHY DON'T THE BRAINS OF THE WORLD EVER WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT, WHY IS THE MEDIA MORE INTERESTED IN BRITNEY SPEARS VAGINA THAN THEY ARE ABOUT THIS MYSTERY.
    :bricks:
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Maybe the farmers are in on it, they just tell the media that they were asleep and didn't see anything because that will keep them on TV longer. I'm much more inclined to consider terrestrial causes for ANYTHING before I blame aliens.

Why would they come all this way to leave these huge circles in our fields, but then not give us any other signs of their presence.

Do you also think there's an alien ship at Area 51?
  9. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Its true. Not only that, these organisms inserted probes into many of the modern radio talk show hosts. Rush, Savage, Hannity- they are all in on an effort by aliens to destroy earths greatest civilization. http://www.metatech.org/Art_Bell_Area_51_aliens_audio_tape.html
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

A chance? I'd say the likelyhood of humans being the only intelligent life form in the Universe is slim and none. IMO anyway. I can't imagine that we're alone.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

I do.

[​IMG]
  12. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I tend to agree, but I'm sticking with "chance" because there is a plausible Rare Earth Hypothesis.

A great article (and I don't care if you hate Wikipedia, I've read about the theory before and this article puts it together very nicely) can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_hypothesis
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

Oh, absolutely. Earth could be a phenomenom. An exception to the rule so to speak. I totally agree that is plausible.

As for Wiki, I don't hate it at all. I actually find it quite useful. The only point I like to make about it is that it is publically written. What you read there is not always accurate.
  14. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah, a friend and I had an argument the other day about whether the two-legged walkers in Return of the Jedi are also called "Imperial Walkers" (as opposed to the ones on Hoth, which definately are). He tried to use a Wikipedia answer, which I had to veto with a wag of my finger. So yeah, controvertial information is best gotten from primary sources.
  15. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Here's a good article about the Fermi Paradox, which discusses the disconnect between the high likelyhood of other life in the universe and the fact that we haven't observed any. Harry, this might give you some reflection on your crop circles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  16. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I *thought* that was you I saw out there with that tape measure. :rolleyes:
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

Yeah exactly Pujo...