PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Vince Young to declare for Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Yet the Texans say they are going to take Reggie Bush... Personally I think that its a big mistake for them. Young would be a much better pick...

Yeah, it's dumb to rule out someone as talented as Vince Young this early in the offseason. He's also a hometown boy who has publicly stated that he'd like to play for that morbid franchise. Texans fans should protest the FO's stupidity.

Seymour93 said:
Yeah, it's dumb to rule out someone as talented as Vince Young this early in the offseason. He's also a hometown boy who has publicly stated that he'd like to play for that morbid franchise. Texans fans should protest the FO's stupidity.

Is Young as level headed and a "non-showboat" as he seemed in the Rose bowl? It appeared the Longhorns as a team did a lot less "celebrating" than USC after making plays and appeared to approach the game as a day at the office without calling attention to themselves for the most part. I would assume that is a reflection of the coaches, but was wondering what Youngs "attitude" is. I was impressed by his presence back there....oh and yeah he played OK too. I would be even more impressed if he is the anti Marcus/Michael Vick in attitude.

Last edited:
pats-blue said:
Is Young as level headed and a "non-showboat" as he seemed in the Rose bowl? It appeared the Longhorns as a team did a lot less "celebrating" than USC after making plays and appeared to approach the game as a day at the office without calling attention to themselves for the most part. I would assume that is a reflection of the coaches, but was wondering what Youngs "attitude" is. I was impressed by his presence back there....oh and yeah he played OK too. I would be even more impressed if he is the anti Marcus?Michael Vick in attitude.

Marcus Vick doesn't come anywhere close to Young as a man or as a football player. I wouldn't call him Mr. Studious, but Young has respect for the game and the opponent he faces each week. One of the keys to success was staying loose and not getting involved in the pregame hype, that's why you would see Young & Crew dancing and goofing around on the sidelines every now and then.

I admit I have a biased opinion where David Carr is concerned, but I think Houston should concentrate on OL help and either trade down or draft Bush and trade D Davis for OL help. Carr will be a lot better and Bush would greatly help them if they have guys who can actually block. Carr has never been able to show Houston what he can do because his OL over the years has basically stunk.

Bob G

His sidearm delivery and the fact that he operates primarily out of the shotgun have a lot of pundits thinking he's a multi year project in the NFL. Might end up not even playing the position.

MoLewisrocks said:
His sidearm delivery and the fact that he operates primarily out of the shotgun have a lot of pundits thinking he's a multi year project in the NFL. Might end up not even playing the position.

Which would make Tennessee a perfect fit for him. Let McNair start for the next few years and go out in style, and by then Norm Chow will have VY ready.

Houston, meanwhile, could restructure Carr's contract and let him prove himself while VY waits in the wings. The problem is that you develop a situation similar to San Diego's current predicament, you have to eventually trade or release one of your expensive projects.

Leinart may pull an Eli though, forcing New Orleans to pick VY. I really hope the NFL won't let another punk hold the draft hostage again because I don't want to see such a great horn struggle with the Saints!

Seymour93 said:
Marcus Vick doesn't come anywhere close to Young as a man or as a football player. I wouldn't call him Mr. Studious, but Young has respect for the game and the opponent he faces each week. One of the keys to success was staying loose and not getting involved in the pregame hype, that's why you would see Young & Crew dancing and goofing around on the sidelines every now and then.

Cool. I did read that his mom really wants him to get his degree. Hope he finishes it up during the off season to set an example and to make his mom healthy. Sounds like he has the character you can root for...when he isn't playing the Pats I mean.

YES!!!!! As a Nebraska fan, you dont know how happy i am that we dont get to see Vince Young next year!

As for Youngs pro prospects, New Orleans would have made a mistake if they dont take him at #2. I know its been reported that the Saints want to move to a more pocket passer type of QB but Vince has a demeanor about him that makes everyone around him better. And hes got that calmness that we see with Brady where nothing seems to faze him. I think Leinart is a good college QB but if New Orleans selects him, they would have made a "Sam Bowie" type of mistake.

Seymour93 said:
Which would make Tennessee a perfect fit for him. Let McNair start for the next few years and go out in style, and by then Norm Chow will have VY ready.
This would work well. Not only was Young redshirted at Texas, he REQUESTED a redshirt year, so I doubt he would have a huge problem with redshirting w/the Titans. Young is a carbon copy of McNair and would be a great Titan.

I'm not the least bit surprised he is leaving school. His stock will only go down if he goes back because it simply can't get higher. He was better in the Rose bowl than maybe any college player has ever been in a game of that magnitude.

That said, I would not want to be the GM of the team that gets to pay Young ridiculous amounts of money in hopes that he develops his throwing mechanics, pocket presence, and accuracy in order to do what is necessary to be a successful QB in the NFL. Nothing sets NFL franchises further back than whiffing on a QB in the top of the draft and I wouldn't want to risk it on a guy who doesn't excel at the primary skills needed of a QB.

bobgeorge said:
I admit I have a biased opinion where David Carr is concerned, but I think Houston should concentrate on OL help and either trade down or draft Bush and trade D Davis for OL help. Carr will be a lot better and Bush would greatly help them if they have guys who can actually block. Carr has never been able to show Houston what he can do because his OL over the years has basically stunk.

Bob G
If you wanted to trade down for extra picks, what 'trade bait' would you dangle to get someone else to move up to your number one slot? 'We are going to draft Reggie Bush' - sounds like trade bait to me. :cool:

Seymour93 said:

Houston, meanwhile, could restructure Carr's contract and let him prove himself while VY waits in the wings. The problem is that you develop a situation similar to San Diego's current predicament, you have to eventually trade or release one of your expensive projects.

Leinart may pull an Eli though, forcing New Orleans to pick VY. I really hope the NFL won't let another punk hold the draft hostage again because I don't want to see such a great horn struggle with the Saints!

What if it's VY who decides he doesn't want to play for the Saints?

I'm just glad to have more talent at the top of the draft board, pushing other good players down to us.

Anyway, I think Young is not one of the three best prospects in this draft. I'm a bit surprised that the Rose Bowl gave him such a huge kick up draft boards. I think, based on the balance of his career, he deserves to go in the teens or early 20s. Leinart is going to be the better pro.

The Gr8est said:
What if it's VY who decides he doesn't want to play for the Saints?

Vince has character, he wouldn't stoop to that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back