PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Vikings sign Adrian Peterson up to 7 year extension $100M - $36M Guaranteed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. That is simply absurd....

holy cow ! teams are throwing money like there is no tomorrow !

May be there is some truth to the 2012 end of world theory :eek:

This is why the Vikings will never win the Super Bowl,Too much money spent on a RB and entering cap hell

Should have saved some money for that secondary and maybe another receiver as Harvin has had multiple migrane issues and who knows if he will have problems down the road,not to mention Rice is gone.

A serious question: who was the last RB whose long-term performance starting in his 5th NFL season merited a 7 year, big money deal?

A serious question: who was the last RB whose long-term performance starting in his 5th NFL season merited a 7 year, big money deal?
Assuming he sees out the deal he'll be 33 when it expires. All Day will have some miles on those treads.

Last edited:

All I can say is atleast he played the damn thing out. Seems to be a rarity nowadays for some of the superstars. Even our own Branch who was nowhere close to the caliber of Peterson griped and eventually forced the trade.

I think if any RB deserved the pay day it was Peterson. Good for him, hope he plays well. Chris Johnson? Hope he has a bad year.

Peterson was great as a rookie,even better in his second year but the past 2 years have been a slight downward trend in yardage

I would think the trend should go upwards if you are giving 100M to a back that now needs to top that 2,000 yard mark to truly earn this kind of dough

I guess Minny forgets the fumble issues Peterson had for awhile

This kid is worth the 36M, anything more is reaching

All I can say is atleast he played the damn thing out. Seems to be a rarity nowadays for some of the superstars. Even our own Branch who was nowhere close to the caliber of Peterson griped and eventually forced the trade.

There is a key difference: Peterson was a high draft pick whose rookie deal was worth over $40 million. You see a lot fewer holdouts in that situation. (Not to mention that through his first 3 years, Peterson averaged a fumble every other game.)

I think it all depends on how the Vikings use him over the course of the deal. If they keep him down around 150-200 carries per year for the first 4 years, then I think he could still be a good player in 6 years. Not worth this kind of money, but good. Of course, we all know they won't do that; it'll be ~300 carries per year until he breaks down, and at the current rate that will probably happen about half way through this contract.

Last edited:
Assuming he sees out the deal he'll be 33 when it expires. All Day will have some miles on those treads.

Dont see him making the end of that!

I reckon he will make 30 and have a massive string of injuries!

Peterson was great as a rookie,even better in his second year but the past 2 years have been a slight downward trend in yardage

I would think the trend should go upwards if you are giving 100M to a back that now needs to top that 2,000 yard mark to truly earn this kind of dough

I guess Minny forgets the fumble issues Peterson had for awhile

This kid is worth the 36M, anything more is reaching

Pretty much down to the utterly shocking O-line he has, from what I've seen. The kid is running as hard as ever, and is getting yards that aren't there at times.

And if we're realistic, do we think Minny will keep him beyond the first few years? Their FO is suspect at best, they seem to be playing pin the tail on the donkey at times.

My understanding is that we will see more of these contracts, anticipating a huge increase in money when the TV contracts are negotiated.

No matter what this money is ridiculous for a RB.....

IMO there's a 0 percent chance he plays out that contract.

With a contract like that, he'll be seen as overpaid regardless of how well he performs on the field and the moment he starts having injury problems and/or his production slips, the Vikings will have to cut him because of the money involved.

Are you sure the Metrodome roof did not collapse on the collective heads of the Viking brain trust?
1. AP runs like each play were his last - great from a guy like BJGE but otherwise, an injury waiting to happen.

2. The Vikes should be thankful Herschel Walker happened BEFORE the salary cap era - otherwise, this team would have followed the path of the Minny Lakers.

3. It is debatable who the best RB in football is - Foster vs. CJ vs. AP. Two of them received big paydays and the other is too busy tweeting his own MRI pics but may be smart enough to hold out for his payday.

"Can't wait to get a ring and finish my career in Minn.," Peterson tweeted.

LOL You'll be lucky to be half right kiddo... When the details of the deal emerge we will know if its any more than a "guarantee" he gets more than $12M per for the next 3, which is what he'd have gotten with his 2011 $10.7M salary and back to back tags anyway... Like Florio said in his initial analysis, as a RB three years from now the team will begin assessing cap hit vs. production value...especially if as I expect his yards remain relatively meaningless because the franchise continues to be mismanaged...

Read more: Adrian Peterson re-signs for seven years, $100 million - NFL - Sporting News

Last edited:
isn't the salary cap increasing by at least 50% in 3-4 years?

LOL You'll be lucky to be half right kiddo... When the details of the deal emerge we will know if its any more than a "guarantee" he gets more than $12M per for the next 3, which is what he'd have gotten with his 2011 $10.7M salary and back to back tags anyway

But playing under back-to-back franchise tags is hardly normal operating procedure. What you've essentially said is that Peterson's deal guarantees him as much money as he would have otherwise made in the most extreme scenario. (And what's more, the latest reports say the first 3 years are actually worth more than that -- $40M total.)

Well Peterson is getting paid just below Michael Vick who got 6/100 but even Vick isn't worth his contract. So I suppose this is either the Vikes way to get to the floor, or they just overpaid like the Eagles just did because they have no other solution at RB.

To me this is another example of the NFL media (and as a result, NFL fans) paying way too much attention to the total dollars of an NFL player's contract. I would be interested in seeing what percentage of NFL players actually receive the full amounts of the contract they sign; my guess is that number would be shockingly low.

The only number that really matters is the guaranteed portion of the contract. The total number is (a) an ego boost for the player; (b) a free advertisement for the agent, used to recruit other players; and (c) a way for the media to generate an audience. 'OMG, do you believe how much AP got paid' is far more effective in attracting readers and discussion when the headline includes the figure of $100 million than it would be if $36 million was used instead.

Without knowing the details of the contract it's tough to figure out how much money and how many years are fluff and unlikely to ever be played and earned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes