PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Vick gets 23-Months in Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's it? That in't enough imho...

Funny how he's going from dog fighter to prison b!tch :)

Last edited:
And people are wondering when he is coming back to the leauge, who cares, I say its not even going to be a question till 2010... And then its too late for Vick.. Vick is a former NFL player in my opinoin

Last edited:
That's it? That in't enough imho...

Funny how he's going from dog fighter to prison b!tch :)

Dude, what more do you want? He's lost just about everything, millions $$, job, endorsements, respect, and now freedom. I see a lot of people in society that have done more and gotten away for a lot less.

Dude, what more do you want? He's lost just about everything, millions $$, job, endorsements, respect, and now freedom. I see a lot of people in society that have done more and gotten away for a lot less.

Exactly.
The doggie fanatics went WAY overboard on this one.
Clearly, Vick does not have much of a conscience and the sickness exhibited in his dog abuse indicates deeper problems. Two years in jail for his offense is a stiff punishment but earned. His post-jail NFL career, if any, will be a lame footnote.

I thought he would get more too. He has lost a lot for his sins though.

I agree. I think that he has been punished severely (when you consider everything he has lost) IMO.

My wife and I run a small Pit Bull rescue, so I have an emotional attachment to the dogs, and we both think the punishment is adequate.

Hopefully the dogs will be rescued and put in responsible homes (if they haven’t already been killed).

Exactly.
Clearly, Vick does not have much of a conscience and the sickness exhibited in his dog abuse indicates deeper problems. Two years in jail for his offense is a stiff punishment but earned. His post-jail NFL career, if any, will be a lame footnote.

i think he did more than just kill dogs. He was involved in illegal gambling, fund the gambling and all that as well.

His life and career in tatters, I think the sentence is just fine. It's several months longer than the pundits initially predicated. Remember, he still faces state charges and who knows how many civil suits. Having been away from the game for three full seasons by the time he's a free man (pending anything else the league might decide to impose) his NFL career as a QB is toast.

On an upbeat note, I read somewhere this week that all but one of the dogs has been cleared by the same judge and placed with agencies rescue for potential adoption. I think it's an encouraging sign for us as a society that the effort was undertaken as opposed to taking the easy way out. It's not always practical or even in the animals best interest to push for life in these situations, but given the profile of this case it will help send a more powerful message that the dogs he was killing weren't just born to die anyway.

This punishment was overkill.

What difference does it make "how much he lost"? He had opportunity to live the right way, and he chose to carry on an interstate gambling operation that was fueled by animal cruelty. Maybe you should start feeling sorry for all the people that didn't have his opportunities that are wasting away in prison for real petty crimes, like drug possession.

anyone want to chip in and buy him some "soap on a rope"? He will need it..

Exactly.
His post-jail NFL career, if any, will be a lame footnote.

Does anyone think he'll be able to come back into football after this? I'm not even sure how I feel about it. He did some terrible things, but he is being punished. Some of the punishment continues forever, like his new inability to vote, but should the NFL take it upon themselves to extend his sentence? I don't think they have that right. Or will they be worried about the fans?

Sticky situation, this.

Does anyone think he'll be able to come back into football after this? I'm not even sure how I feel about it. He did some terrible things, but he is being punished. Some of the punishment continues forever, like his new inability to vote, but should the NFL take it upon themselves to extend his sentence? I don't think they have that right. Or will they be worried about the fans?

Sticky situation, this.

After he does his time, he has done his time. The question is, will anybody want an ex-convict dog killer that hasn't faced any athletic competition in 3 years, and was never really that great to begin with?? I see the Arena League in his future.

Well at least this isnt one of those 23 months out in 9, according to the article:

19-1/2 months is the soonest he can get out.

Personally I think he will be back but maybe not as a QB.

Actually, Ookie is still facing actual dogfighting charges in Virginia and possibly other states. Those charges have longer sentences than what he got from the feds.

He's done.....

i think he did more than just kill dogs. He was involved in illegal gambling, fund the gambling and all that as well.

The gambling was not key, it was secondary to the actual "sport" of dogfighting. (Its importance was mainly to the prosecutors, because gambling penalties were higher than dogfighting penalties). I doubt most pro football fans care about the gambling as long as it didn't involve games, the league was built on gambling.

Actually, Ookie is still facing actual dogfighting charges in Virginia and possibly other states. Those charges have longer sentences than what he got from the feds.

He's done.....

I don't know about Virginia, but in general states impose longer sentences but allow much earlier release. The Feds only give a maximum of 15% time off the full sentence.

OK, this is crazy. Killing and torturing dogs is inhumane, but I just looked this up and Leonard Little (with the Rams) back in 1998 was drunk driving, hit and killed a woman who was a mother, and he only got 90 days in jail, 4 years probation, and suspended half an NFL season.

Isn't this going way overboard? How can you only get 90 days in jail for killing a mother, a human being, and 2 years in jail for dogs?

Last edited:
Exactly.
Honestly you won't get much sympathy from me on that one, I personally feel that abusing an animal should be no different than abusing a human. I understand not everyone feels that way, but hey I've had to live with everyone being wrong except me for a long time. :D

This punishment was overkill.

Yep. It's the same reason why Paris Hilton got 20 days for driving with a suspended license. The judge thinks its his duty to set an example with high profile names.

Vick will get out early anyway, so it's a moot point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots