PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Urgent - Massive Virus Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy - this is really going to ruin your day if that troubles you... no need to open links with this threat:

Windows Security Flaw Is 'Severe'
PCs Vulnerable to Spyware, Viruses

By Brian Krebs
Special to The Washington Post
Friday, December 30, 2005; D01

A previously unknown flaw in Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system is leaving computer users vulnerable to spyware, viruses and other programs that could overtake their machines and has sent the company scrambling to come up with a fix.

Microsoft said in a statement yesterday that it is investigating the vulnerability and plans to issue a software patch to fix the problem. The company could not say how soon that patch would be available.

Mike Reavey, operations manager for Microsoft's Security Response Center, called the flaw "a very serious issue."

Security researchers revealed the flaw on Tuesday and posted instructions online that showed how would-be attackers could exploit the flaw. Within hours, computer virus and spyware authors were using the flaw to distribute malicious programs that could allow them to take over and remotely control afflicted computers.

Unlike with previously revealed vulnerabilities, computers can be infected simply by visiting one of the Web sites or viewing an infected image in an e-mail through the preview pane in older versions of Microsoft Outlook, even if users did not click on anything or open any files. Operating system versions ranging from the current Windows XP to Windows 98 are affected.

An estimated 90 percent of personal computers run on Microsoft Windows operating systems. Microsoft has found itself under attack on several instances and has been forced to issue a number of patches to keep computers running Windows safe. Mac and Linux computer users are not at risk with this attack, even if their computers run Microsoft programs such as Office or the Internet Explorer Web browser.

Reavey encouraged users to update their anti-virus software, ensure all Windows security patches are installed, avoid visiting unfamiliar Web sites, and refrain from clicking on links that arrive via e-mail or instant message.

"The problem with this attack is that it is so hard to defend against for the average user," said Johannes Ullrich, chief research officer for the SANS Internet Storm Center in Bethesda.

At first, the vulnerability was exploited by just a few dozen Web sites. Programming code embedded in these pages would install a program that warned victims their machines were infested with spyware, then prompted them to pay $40 to remove the supposed pests.

Since then, however, hundreds of sites have begun using the flaw to install a broad range of malicious software. SANS has received several reports of attackers blasting out spam e-mails containing links that lead to malicious sites exploiting the new flaw, Ullrich said.

Dean Turner, a senior manager at anti-virus firm Symantec Corp. of Cupertino, Calif., said the company has seen the vulnerability exploited to install software that intercepts personal and financial information when users of infected computers enter the data at certain banking or e-commerce sites.

Eric Sites, vice president of research and development for anti-spyware firm Sunbelt Software, said he has spotted spyware being downloaded to a user's machine by online banner advertisements.

"Pretty much all of the spyware guys who normally use other techniques for pushing this stuff down to your machine are now picking this exploit up," Sites said.

Because the vulnerability exists within a faulty Windows component, security experts warn that Windows users who eschew Internet Explorer in favor of alternative Web browsers, such as older versions of Firefox and Opera, can still get their PCs infected if they agree to download a file from a site taking advantage of the flaw.

Richard M. Smith, a Boston security and privacy consultant, said he was particularly worried that the vulnerability could soon be used to power a fast-spreading e-mail worm.

"We could see the mother of all worms here," Smith said. "My big fear is we're going to wake up in the next week or two and have people warning users not to read their e-mail because something is going around that's extremely virulent."

Brian Krebs is a washingtonpost.com reporter.

Take a deep breath and...

JR4 said:
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/0d644d5e-7bb3-11da-ab8e-0000779e2340.html

Do not go to websites you do not trust or open images from sources you
do not know, even if someone you trust forwards you an image do not
open it if you do not know where it came from.

relax. these behaviors *should* be standard operating procedure by now. some say the threat is not very serious...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=10677

if you disagree, there is a patch that can be installed while you are waiting for microsoft to release their update next week...

http://www.hexblog.com/2005/12/wmf_vuln.html

here's MS's analysis...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/912840.mspx

Is there anyone else as cynical as I am convinced that many of the viruses are actually created by anti-virus software companies?

len_mullen said:
relax. these behaviors *should* be standard operating procedure by now. some say the threat is not very serious...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=10677

if you disagree, there is a patch that can be installed while you are waiting for microsoft to release their update next week...

http://www.hexblog.com/2005/12/wmf_vuln.html

here's MS's analysis...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/912840.mspx

Your "RELAX" advice is nice but many casual users who use search engines
may end up at sites with corrupt images and they won't be so relaxed.

Relax if you are confident you are protected otherwise be extra careful
until you have the patch. No I won't put a patch on my computer from
a source other than Microsoft.

Wow, a major security flaw in windows? Who woulda thunk it. Next you're going to tell me that the Jets imploded and went 4-12 this year...

...oh wait, they did.

If you're afraid to open anything send it to me. Using OS X I've always wanted to see what a virus looks like. :D

OS X is not safe...

Michael said:
If you're afraid to open anything send it to me. Using OS X I've always wanted to see what a virus looks like. :D

Hey wiseacre, OS X is just as, or more vulnerable; its just so insignificant that few bother to write virtuses, worms and adware to infect it. Sorry to bust your bubble, but Macintosh is increasingly seeing virus attacks; its just that the virus dorks usually spend their efforts on Windows first.

As for OS X, it just hasn't had very many development dollars invested in it. It is full of un-exploited security holes, that little attention has been directed at, TO DATE. It is no criticism of Apple, they just didn't and don't have the resources. But it is a fine effort for what it is, Release 1.0 of a Mach kernel based, fully pre-emptive, multi tasked, multi-user OS.

Its basis is just like modern Windows, post Windows 98 which is also a Mach kernal based, fully preemptive, multi-tasked, multi-user OS with symetric multiprocessing. Windows XP is now in its fifth full release, with multiple sub-releases developed over the last ten years. Hundreds of millions if not billion of dollars have been invested in its development. And the dorks still find weaknesses. As they are found the holes are closed.

Being temporarily overlooked is no security, when there are multitudes of holes if anyone directed their attention to it.

len_mullen said:

This seems like a mixed message to me. We should get a grip and relax because the threat isn't serious, AND we should already have been so scared by less serious threats that we weren't loading any images or visiting any new websites?

Avoiding new websites can't be "standard operating procedure" for me -- I'm a writer, and the book I'm researching requires looking at websites around the world. I've always maintained a pretty high security level, but this new exploit has forced me to change my browsing behavior significantly. IMHO, it is different.

How many Microsoft programmers does it take to put in a lightbulb?

We won't know for 2 weeks.

Fortunately, some Russian guy put one in so they can at least see what they're doing. :rolleyes:

patchick said:
This seems like a mixed message to me. We should get a grip and relax because the threat isn't serious, AND we should already have been so scared by less serious threats that we weren't loading any images or visiting any new websites?

Avoiding new websites can't be "standard operating procedure" for me -- I'm a writer, and the book I'm researching requires looking at websites around the world. I've always maintained a pretty high security level, but this new exploit has forced me to change my browsing behavior significantly. IMHO, it is different.

Good points Patchick. Just one suggestion. If you depend on being able to browse teh web you might consider symantic's "GoBack" program if you don't
already have it. This program has saved me on several occassions.
Essentially it allows you to restore your computer to a previous point in time.
It cost like $50 but well worth it.

RayClay said:

Fortunately, some Russian guy put one in so they can at least see what they're doing. :rolleyes:

Yeah but I wouldn't put any patch on computer without knowing how they
tested it and what side effect it maight cause. Especially from Russia.
No Thanks ... I'll just wait. It seems like 10 days is a long time but not
if they do it right and make all the tests they will need to do on their
mulit million lines of existing code.

JR4 said:
Yeah but I wouldn't put any patch on computer without knowing how they tested it and what side effect it maight cause. Especially from Russia.
No Thanks ... I'll just wait. It seems like 10 days is a long time but not if they do it right and make all the tests they will need to do on their mulit million lines of existing code.
The hexblog patch has been source-checked by independent experts, and quite frankly the likely side effects are a shadow of what could happen to an unprotected system. I installed it and recommend you do too. It's not easy to prevent a .wmf image from getting onto your system. If it gets downloaded it doesn't even have to be viewed -- the indexing service (for the "Find" command) or something similar such as Google toolbar triggers the vulnerability as it's checking your hard drive and indexing the contents. I have heard of such images being sent via instant messaging, too.

Right now the only known exploits load tons of spyware and adware onto your system, but now this is becoming so well known it probably won't be long before really nasty stuff is delivered.

Linux power!

RayClay said:

I'll have to send that joke over to the Russian programmer down the hall from me here at the Evil Empire where I work. I'm sure he'd get kick out of it... :D

JoeSixPat said:
Security researchers revealed the flaw on Tuesday and posted instructions online that showed how would-be attackers could exploit the flaw. Within hours, computer virus and spyware authors were using the flaw to distribute malicious programs that could allow them to take over and remotely control afflicted computers.

Hmmm... gee. Now, maybe had they not done this publically - and actually waited until after a fix was ready - maybe this wouldn't be as much of a massive threat?

What a bunch of ignorant twits calling themselves "security researchers".

AzPatsFan said:
Hey wiseacre, OS X is just as, or more vulnerable; its just so insignificant that few bother to write virtuses, worms and adware to infect it. Sorry to bust your bubble, but Macintosh is increasingly seeing virus attacks; its just that the virus dorks usually spend their efforts on Windows first.

As for OS X, it just hasn't had very many development dollars invested in it. It is full of un-exploited security holes, that little attention has been directed at, TO DATE. It is no criticism of Apple, they just didn't and don't have the resources. But it is a fine effort for what it is, Release 1.0 of a Mach kernel based, fully pre-emptive, multi tasked, multi-user OS.

Its basis is just like modern Windows, post Windows 98 which is also a Mach kernal based, fully preemptive, multi-tasked, multi-user OS with symetric multiprocessing. Windows XP is now in its fifth full release, with multiple sub-releases developed over the last ten years. Hundreds of millions if not billion of dollars have been invested in its development. And the dorks still find weaknesses. As they are found the holes are closed.

Being temporarily overlooked is no security, when there are multitudes of holes if anyone directed their attention to it.

You're not "busting my bubble" or telling me anything I didn't already know (even if you are very much generalizing). I'm very familiar with how it all works. I was even an Apple employee for a few years. I know the reason I have never got a virus or had my Mac exploited in the 19 years I've been using them is because no one bothers to do it. But, that's fine with me. :D

JR4 said:
you might consider symantic's "GoBack" program if you don't
already have it. This program has saved me on several occassions.
Essentially it allows you to restore your computer to a previous point in time.
It cost like $50 but well worth it.

Is this similar to the built in system restore I have on my XP?

yes

I used to use Norton...years ago

Norton causes as many problems as it supposedly solves IMO

Joker said:
yes

I used to use Norton...years ago

Norton causes as many problems as it supposedly solves IMO

Actually, "GoBack" was implemented by a company called Roxio I think.
They sold it to Symantec. Never known anyone to have a problem with
GoBack. Know several who have been saved by it including myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back