Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Ump makes wrong call on 27th out, ruins perfect game

Discussion in 'Red Sox Fan Forum' started by Disco Volante, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

ESPN - Ump costs Tigers hurler perfection

Time for instant replay.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. bigcountry75

bigcountry75 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I have no ties to Armando or the Tigers but I was fuming mad last night watching this happen.....i went ballistic as if my team lost a championship or something......This kid does something that only 20 other players have EVER done in the 150 years or whatever that baseball has been around......I don't care if he really was safe but on any "close judgement call" he should have been called out.....I understand the ump is trying to do his job but noone will hate on him if it is a bang, bang play and he was actually safe but called out.....This is just ridiculous that an umpire can take away this feat from a player just like that.....He probably lost tons of money on possible bigger contracts, autograph sessions, autographed memorabilia.....This is an absolute travesty.....Terrible
  3. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +280 / 4 / -2

#51 Jersey

The MLB should introduce the coach's challenge. It was a terrible call.
  4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You can't even blame the ump. He's human, expecting him to never make a mistake is unrealistic at best. Blame MLB for not taking advantage of the tech that exists.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Of course you can blame the ump. He's the one who blew the call. What he should have done, was ask for help. He didn't though. Why more umps don't ask for help is beyond me. It's as if they'd prefer the wrong call stick, than be overturned.

Bud Selig, the sorriest commisioner in the history of sports, is an arsewipe. How do you not overturn the call, and give the kid the complete game? Screw that BS about precedent, and "what happens later, you overturn a strike in the 5th inning" BS. This was the FINAL OUT OF THE GAME. The game should have been over, and the game's result was never in question. What a loser Selig is.
  6. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I COULD NOT DISAGREE WITH THIS MORE.

If the umps just start calling close plays out, then a perfect game doesn't mean anything. Its special because umps don't do this.

That being said, it wasn't a close play.