PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: UMass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the game last night and was very impressed! It was Patriot-like in that they went into a very hostile environment, got virtually no calls from the officials and did not lose their cool when Montana went ahead at the end of the 1st half and the momentum was decidedly the other way. Steve Baylark is a very good player and despite some wicked hits, did not fumble (hello, Kevin, Ben?). Good luck to UMass next week (and this division is proof a playoff system works)!

I have been following UMass for a few years now -mostly catching the games on the radio. They have been a quality 1-AA team since Mark Whipple's tenure - winning the National Championship in 1998. Don Brown has done a tremendous job taking over for Whipple. Both of these guys have been rumored for the BC job. I hope Brown stays at UMass.

I agree that this UMass team has some real poise. They definitely were not intimidated playing on the road in a hostile environment against an oppenent with much bigger offensive and defensive lines. They overcame Coen's two INTs and a butt-load of penalties. An other National Championship awaits.

Im happy for UMass success, but I cant bring myself to watch them. It looks like a high school game on TV. I'd rather watch a lower level D-1A team on TV than UMass.

Can't agree w/ this one in terms of last night's game. It was a very good game played well by both teams. Very entertaining to watch and no high school feel for me.

Hey Deb, any rumors swirling around Amherst that UMass is going to join the Big East for football and hoops within the next couple of years? I've heard hints to that effect from two separate sportscasters on separate occasions that they wouldn't elaborate on. It's kind of strange not having a MA opponent in the Big East so it would make sense in that aspect. What are your thoughts?

I have really been out of the loop in terms of what UMass is going to do, but in my limited experience (being hit up all the time by "Friends of the Band" who have been trying for at least 5 years to raise the $$ for a new band home - apparently Old Chapel, where the band was based when I was there (1982-86) was condemned as unsafe some years ago) I would agree with those who say $$ issues will keep it from happening. Building the Mullins Center (for basketball and hockey, I think) set them back a lot, and they definitely would need to upgrade the football "stadium" in order to compete. You think the old Fox was a concrete block?!? Alumni stadium at UMass is literraly concrete with the bottom layer hollowed out so you can walk out onto the field. I disagree with those who said they couldn't get a crowd there, though. When I went to UMass the football team was mediocre, yet the stadium was filled for every game. Of course, I think the students could get in free if they showed their ID! We (the band) used to march through Southwest on Saturday mornings on the way to the field to wake everyone up and let them know there was a game. Those were the good ol' days!

I feel a tie to Umass. My daughter went to Mount Holyoke and we spent a lot of time in Amherst. I went to several Umass football games and basketball game when Coach Cal had those awesome teams and then Bruiser screwed them up.

I live not very far from UNH but I don't like them so if Umass beat UNH, I'm happy.Now Umaine is a different story athough i'm about 200 miles from that campus ( have a lot of fond memories of my UMaine visits):rocker:

Last edited:
Last night Missoula was in deep depression all around. The town supports U of M all the way.

The Griz deserved that loss. The qb isn't very good at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back