PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT :Travis Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I definitely think Johnson went a little overboard, I can see him being upset. We have all these rules to prevent injuries to what makes a quarterback able to be effective (his head, knees, shoulder), and rules to prevent the return team on a turnover play from taking out an offensive player, but what about going at a defender's legs?

Trent Green's hit was just as dirty as any low blocks pout on buy Denver's o-line the past many years, and he could have had his career threatened by it. He didn't intend to cause the injury to Green, it was Green's fault. And in the heat of the game, he couldn't immediately have known something serious had happened to Trent Green. Look at Dallas Clark today. He rolled around like a turtle on it's shell but he came in the next series.

Travis Johnson is only guilty of hurting people's feelings. Trent Green could have easily ended Johnson's career.

While I definitely think Johnson went a little overboard, I can see him being upset. We have all these rules to prevent injuries to what makes a quarterback able to be effective (his head, knees, shoulder), and rules to prevent the return team on a turnover play from taking out an offensive player, but what about going at a defender's legs?

Trent Green's hit was just as dirty as any low blocks pout on buy Denver's o-line the past many years, and he could have had his career threatened by it. He didn't intend to cause the injury to Green, it was Green's fault. And in the heat of the game, he couldn't immediately have known something serious had happened to Trent Green. Look at Dallas Clark today. He rolled around like a turtle on it's shell but he came in the next series.

a lot of QB's throw that block on reverse plays. Brady has done it a few times- i remember the titans playoff game, favre also has done it a few times. sure johnson may not have realized in the game that green was down but he continued his tirade post game especially when green had been carted off...its uncalled for. hypothetically johnson couldve been injured but green WAS injured and possibly seriously .

I would be pretty upset about it as well... he is getting unneeded guff about the situation imo.

Keith Olberman gave Travis his "Worst Person in the NFL" award this week.

Apparently, Travis was livid that Green hit him so low and was spouting out about Green trying to rob him of his livelihood and taking food from his kid's mouth.

The freaking dude was unconscious on the ground. He was not trying to give him a cheap shot. Yeah, the hit was low, but definitely didn't seem intentional. QB's just don't know how to block. How is he supposed to take out a 300lb defensive end?

Well it looked like Trent Green led with his helmet as well which would make it even worse. Olberman and the unfuny bunch on NBC are being too hard on Johnson. That Green would lead with the helmet only makes him look dumber. The guy has a history of concussions and he's throwin his nogin around.

Trent Green is as close to sainthood as an NFL player can become. I highly doubt he was trying to cheapshot Travis Johnson.

All Im really saying is we all whine and moan when say Denver's oline tries to take out Seymour's knee but because Trent Green is a "good guy" and a "fighter" it becomes ok. It doesn't take a lot to screw up your knee. Johnson's reaction was over-the-top, and he did contineu it immediately follwing the victory in the locker room, but he later came out and apologized for it. Green could have laid down to try to stop Johnson or trip him up,m he didn't need to do what he did.

Apparently, Travis was livid that Green hit him so low and was spouting out about Green trying to rob him of his livelihood and taking food from his kid's mouth.

The freaking dude was unconscious on the ground. He was not trying to give him a cheap shot. Yeah, the hit was low, but definitely didn't seem intentional. QB's just don't know how to block. How is he supposed to take out a 300lb defensive end?

No doubt in my mind that Olberman has something against the Patriots. He made several offhanded comments tonight. One was that the Patriots were 6 - 0 this season. Anyone want to guess what he meant by that? He takes a shot at them every week. :mad:

Trent Green is as close to sainthood as an NFL player can become. I highly doubt he was trying to cheapshot Travis Johnson.

If it was your knee, I would bet money that you would be mighty pissed off about it... regardless if he is a "saint" or not.

We're supposed to feel sorry for Trent Green because he's a QB? Trent Green had an uncontested block on a laterally moving defensive lineman in the open field. Anything that goes awry in that situation is due to Trent Green, not Travis Johnson. Incompetence is not an excuse for a dirty block.

We're supposed to feel sorry for Trent Green because he's a QB? Trent Green had an uncontested block on a laterally moving defensive lineman in the open field. Anything that goes awry in that situation is due to Trent Green, not Travis Johnson. Incompetence is not an excuse for a dirty block.

Agreed that this is on Green. However, the reaction by Johnson was ridiculous. Much more ridiculous than Losman's reaction to Wilfork's hit, which actually knocked him out of multiple games.

If it was your knee, I would bet money that you would be mighty pissed off about it... regardless if he is a "saint" or not.

Yeah, I wouldn't be happy. But I also wouldn't talk smack to an unconscious player on the ground to express my anger.

No doubt in my mind that Olberman has something against the Patriots. He made several offhanded comments tonight. One was that the Patriots were 6 - 0 this season. Anyone want to guess what he meant by that? He takes a shot at them every week. :mad:

:confused:

More than likely, Johnson will get fined. I think that Green should also get fined for going low on a defensive player.

Yeah, I wouldn't be happy. But I also wouldn't talk smack to an unconscious player on the ground to express my anger.

I'm sure that it was done "in the heat of the moment."

Last edited:
a lot of QB's throw that block on reverse plays. Brady has done it a few times- i remember the titans playoff game, favre also has done it a few times.
Don't know about Favre, but I don't recall Brady ever taking a DL out at the knees. I've seen him block, but not chopping a DL who wasn't looking.

Still, I doubt Green was deliberately trying to hurt Johnson, and was just trying to get his pitiful team a win.

Johnson wasn't hurt and should have kept his mouth shut.

We're supposed to feel sorry for Trent Green because he's a QB?
No, feel sorry for the guy laying unmoving on the ground. He just got a knee in the head by a 300# guy and could have his neck broken for all anyone kne at the time. Fell disgusted at the guy standing over an unmoving man he just knocked unconscious, and talking smack at him before even finding out if the guy was paralyzed or even breathing.

If Green's block was illegal, give him a $12,500 fine, same as Wilfork, and give Johnson the Turd of the Year Award.

I don't have a horse in this race but, IMO, that was NOT a dirty block. To me, it looked like Green just tried to throw himself in front of Johnson to slow him up. Also, again IMO, he tried to hit Johnson's thighs and, as his head came across Johnson's body it fell down in front of his knee. It was a perfectly legal block.

Johnson should be fined for his ignorant outburst's, both after the play AND after the game. Taunting an unconscious opponent is beyond lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes