PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Tony Kornheiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrClutch

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I can't stand listening to this guy, all he talks about is his damn fantasy team. No one gives a rats ass. I always found him to be a self indulgent idiot. WHen he was on espn radio before the dan patrick show he would talk about movies or play music. Its freaking espn radio I dont give a **** what movies you saw over the weekend or what music you liked when you were younger. Give me some sports or go the hell away. As usual he tries to make himself the center of anything going on.

He's better then Theisman.

"Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein."

MrClutch said:
I can't stand listening to this guy, all he talks about is his damn fantasy team. No one gives a rats ass. I always found him to be a self indulgent idiot. WHen he was on espn radio before the dan patrick show he would talk about movies or play music. Its freaking espn radio I dont give a **** what movies you saw over the weekend or what music you liked when you were younger. Give me some sports or go the hell away. As usual he tries to make himself the center of anything going on.

He's not my favorite,but I do like that he calls, Theisman on his numerous mistakes.
All sportswriters,sportcasters.etc.. Have to give scores,news,and personnel crap, their own way.
Anybody can read the scores-
There's probably 35,000 sportsguys that want a dozen top jobs and 50 quality jobs.the rest are just waitng for a chance.
Kornheiser's getting his shot we'll see:D

OntarioPatsFan said:

"Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein."

Preaching too the choir-lol

OntarioPatsFan said:

I'm not sure if he's better than Theisman. I think they both equally bite. One thing I can't stand is Kornheiser philosophical rants about social issues like he is some intellectual guru. I think the entire Monday night crew is awful.

And for the pats games, Simms is good, but some of the other announcers are awful getting the names wrong. Is there any way to listen to gil and geno without the feed arriving before the tv? I have direct tv which is 2 secs slower than radio.

HAMMERMILL said:
He's not my favorite,but I do like that he calls, Theisman on his numerous mistakes.
All sportswriters,sportcasters.etc.. Have to give scores,news,and personnel crap, their own way.
Anybody can read the scores-
There's probably 35,000 sportsguys that want a dozen top jobs and 50 quality jobs.the rest are just waitng for a chance.
Kornheiser's getting his shot we'll see:D

PFT has been great in pointing out these shots if you miss them. I thoroughly enjoyed the discussion on short receivers.

Here is, verbatim, the key portion of the conversation regarding the requirements for a successful conversion. (Thank you, TiVo.)

Sunshine: I think you need a guy who's short, vertically challenged, maybe five-foot-nine, five-foot-ten with a lot of 'quicks' that can double as a kick returner. Those are the guys that can transition into professional football. To come in and just try and play the wide receiver position --

Kornholer (incredulous): He has to be short?

Sunshine: Well --

Kornholer: This is a prerequisite, to be short?

Sunshine: I think you need to be short and quick. I think that gives you an opportunity --

Kornholer: What if you were big and quick?

Sunshine: You don't have the 'quicks' when you're that tall.

Kornholer: Correct me if I'm wrong because you watch a lot more college football than I did [Editor's note: Tony, you'd make a great lawyer], wasn't there a quarterback recently from Arkansas who was the quarterback who then became a wide receiver in the NFL?

Tirico: Matt Jones.

Kornholer: Matt Jones, right? And he's big. Big and quick.

Sunshine: But not at the kick returning position.

Kornholer: (Makes barely audible noise connoting "Is this guy f--king serious?")

Sunshine: No.

Tirico (wisely changing the subject): It's 48 to 17. . . .

http://www.profootballtalk.com/8-16-06through8-31-06.htm

Last edited:
I see your point, but I'm guessing you don't understand his. He may seem disconnected and clumsy, but his intuition is right on, a la Cosell, whom he tries to harken. Theismann is a fathead who fights for no reason. He wants to be in charge when there is no "in charge" to be had. Kornheiser tries a little too hard to speak to the everyman, not realizing that the everyman now is more interested in Wal-Mart, WWE, and driving fast on dirt roads. The "everyman", sadly is not familair with Thoreau, the wishbone, or architecture. And it is sad.

MrBigglesWorth said:
I'm not sure if he's better than Theisman. I think they both equally bite. One thing I can't stand is Kornheiser philosophical rants about social issues like he is some intellectual guru. I think the entire Monday night crew is awful.

And for the pats games, Simms is good, but some of the other announcers are awful getting the names wrong. Is there any way to listen to gil and geno without the feed arriving before the tv? I have direct tv which is 2 secs slower than radio.

Kornheiser,Does have that 'Dennis Miller' in him.
It's funny for me to be in the position of standng up for him,since I didn't like him on his other show.
Guess,I just have more dislike for Theismann.

Totally agree on Simms(quality announcer)

If they want a guy who has some humor and can bring something to the table they should get Siragusa. Or if they want good analysis use Vermeil.

Football used to be a gentleman's game. Now we have Phil Simms reminding us of his greatness. If anyone is adverse to Kornhole, it is because they are immune to TV bullsh!t and lacking of knowledge. I freely admit he is clumsy and it is a poor casting, but he does not deserve the beratement he has received. If anything, people should recognize their lack of municipal intelligence. The world is fairly big. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it is stupid. It means you are. By definition.

No. I'm not such a hard-a$s, but, think about it man. It's true.

thats what i love about Tony, he wont just sit there and let people just talk on. He'll get you to try and backup all you say and Joe has proven that he has absolutely no facts.

R_T26 said:
If they want a guy who has some humor and can bring something to the table they should get Siragusa. Or if they want good analysis use Vermeil.

I really like goose. Love to see him more than most of the other commentators.

The biggest problem with all broadcasts, but ESPN in particular, is the desire to make the announcers a major point of emphasis in the game, possibly even the focus.

Announcers should be like a seasoning in a soup/dish/whatever that enhances the quality without being too noticable.

However, there is another problem that will never be countered, because it is actually the right thing to do. All of us are going to watch the Patriots and probably parts of 2-3 other games every week. They are not interested in our satisfaction in the least because we are guaranteed viewers every week. They are trying to pique the interest of those who may or may not come back next week, which is why announcers make soap opera plots out of the game, single out popular players and focus on things that we have known for years. This will never change, unfortunately, until technology allows viewers to select the announcing team. And, as I said before, we are assured viewers, so the costs to create the choice of announcers will not create enough benefit to be worthwhile.

Last edited:
desi-patsfan said:
I really like goose. Love to see him more than most of the other commentators.

What I like about him is he is not a player trying to be an analyst he is just a player giving his opinion. He gives it straight and doesn't try to dull it down or moderate it to make it more tv friendly.

Desi:

You know what, you are absolutely right. He regularly corners people with hard questions. He even got Spike Lee to squirm, which is an accomplishment on its own. For that alone, he should get a rookie's pass.

zarakotas5 said:
Desi:

You know what, you are absolutely right. He regularly corners people with hard questions. He even got Spike Lee to squirm, which is an accomplishment on its own. For that alone, he should get a rookie's pass.
this isn't his first season though

I generally think Tony is doing a pretty good job, but he could improve. I like very much how he won't let Theismann get away with his often extremely stupid observations. That's actually the most entertaining part of the broadcast. However, he does need to stop with the Fantasy Football stuff, because no one cares. I also wonder when someone is going to point out that announcing the game is over is the 3rd quarter (even when it IS over, like last night) is not exactly the message they want to be sending to viewers. Viewers are going to tune out when they are going to tune out anyway, no need to reinforce them. It's almost like Tony is hoping someone will say, "Yeah, you're right Tony, you can go home and go to bed now." especially since he always made such a big deal about the fact that he never ever used to stay awake for all of MNF.

Biggles:

Yes, you're right. This is not his first rodeo. He has never before hosted a nationally received broadcast of mostly casual fans. He has never had reason to defend himself from a barage of never-ending nay-sayers. He has never before received e-mails from people that wish for his death. Furthermore, he has never dared to make a statement that just might be discontiguous with the general public. My mistake, and I apologize.

The point was, Biggles, that he SHOULD get a rookies free pass, not that he deserves one, based on your expectations. For Christs sakes man.

MrClutch said:
i love him ****ting on theisman and making joey look stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes