PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Todd Haley is an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.
It had to do w. KC's first 15 snaps. I think Hailey said something to the extent that McD knew the plays already and were ready for it. This inferring that McD taped the walk through.
I think the Den SF game happened later cause I remember PFT running an article/rumor stating that the whole bizarre post game thing w. McD and Hailey might have had to do with taping.

You are combining two separate issues. Steve Scarnecchia videotaped the walkthrough of the 49ers not the Chiefs. There has never been any allegations of the Broncos videotaping the Chiefs. In fact, there is no way the Broncos could have videotape the walkthrough of the Chiefs. The only reason that Scannechia videotaped the walkthrough of the 49ers was because the game was in London and both teams shared the same field for the walkthroughs. In normal games, the two teams never share the same field for walkthroughs and each team's walkthrough would have taken place hundreds of miles apart.

The Chiefs would have had their final walkthrough in KC and then flown to Denver afterwards. The only way the Broncos could have filmed the Chiefs' walkthrough would have been for someone from the Broncos staff to fly into KC, snuck into Arrowhead stadium, film the walkthrough, and then fly back to Denver.

Filming San Francisco 49ers cost Denver Broncos, coach Josh McDaniels $100,000 - ESPN

Haley clearly reacted to McDaniels "running up the score". What Haley said to McDaniels when he pointed at him and walked away was "There's a lot of [expletive] being talked about you." Never referenced stealing the plays or anything like that.

Todd haley refuses to shake Josh McDaniels hand - YouTube

Last edited:
You are combining two separate issues. Steve Scarnecchia videotaped the walkthrough of the 49ers not the Chiefs. There has never been any allegations of the Broncos videotaping the Chiefs. In fact, there is no way the Broncos could have videotape the walkthrough of the Chiefs. The only reason that Scannechia videotaped the walkthrough of the 49ers was because the game was in London and both teams shared the same field for the walkthroughs. In normal games, the two teams never share the same field for walkthroughs and each team's walkthrough would have taken place hundreds of miles apart.

The Chiefs would have had their final walkthrough in KC and then flown to Denver afterwards. The only way the Broncos could have filmed the Chiefs' walkthrough would have been for someone from the Broncos staff to fly into KC, snuck into Arrowhead stadium, film the walkthrough, and then fly back to Denver.

Filming San Francisco 49ers cost Denver Broncos, coach Josh McDaniels $100,000 - ESPN

Haley clearly reacted to McDaniels "running up the score". What Haley said to McDaniels when he pointed at him and walked away was "There's a lot of [expletive] being talked about you." Never referenced stealing the plays or anything like that.

Todd haley refuses to shake Josh McDaniels hand - YouTube

Again. I did say I could be wrong. This is the article I was talking about.

Chiefs punter says Todd Haley thinks Josh McDaniels was cheating | ProFootballTalk

Again. I did say I could be wrong. This is the article I was talking about.

Chiefs punter says Todd Haley thinks Josh McDaniels was cheating | ProFootballTalk

It is easy for Colquitt to say almost a year later after the Spygate II incident and say that is what Haley was thinking.

Either way, Haley's actions were inappropriate. He had no evidence that McDaniels stole his signals or plays. He was wrong to confront McDaniels like he did. Just being suspcious of McDaniels cheating isn't a justification to act like he did.

It is easy for Colquitt to say almost a year later after the Spygate II incident and say that is what Haley was thinking.

Either way, Haley's actions were inappropriate. He had no evidence that McDaniels stole his signals or plays. He was wrong to confront McDaniels like he did. Just being suspcious of McDaniels cheating isn't a justification to act like he did.

I agree. I remember how he 'handled' A Boldin in their 08 playoff run (might have been against the Eagles?).

I cannot vilify him anymore than he has already done himself. Even if the incident last night happened exactly like I said, it is a relatively minor incident compared to what he did to McDaniels and Weis.
He may in fact be an idiot, but this is a silly example.

If you feel he is wrong about other things, thats fine, but to rip the guy over what someone thinks he might have said privately to Harbaugh is ridiculous. Thats all.

I saw a report that said Haley admonished or berated Harbaugh. I am not making it up. Maybe the report overstated what happened.
What report? Neither man says it happened.
And if it did, who really cares. If Haley thought it was lame to call TOs so what?

Whether Haley said anything negative about Harbaugh in his press conference or not, it is clear he did voice his displeasure directly to Harbaugh about running up the score. Harbaugh did issue an apology to Haley in his press conference.
Again, so? Clearly Harbaugh doesn't think Haley is an idiot, scumbag loser, moron, chump or at the other things he is being called in this thread.

Personally, I didn't really care about Haley either way prior to this incident. If my original post is biased, it is because of his well known reputation of being an egomanic with a short fuse not because I hate the guy. The image of him admonishing McDaniels for running up the score has been seen everywhere. Reports are that Weis left KC because he was tired of the shouting matched between him and Haley.
I've heard rumors that if Weis didnt go to ND BB didnt want him back because they didn't get along. Who knows if rumors are true or not?
I find it hard to say a competitor wouldn't take issue with feeling he had his nose rubbed in it when he was down. I have a pretty good feeling that Haley wasn't telling McD that he was a big mean bully and he should play nice with others, but that he was telling him to beware if the tables are turned. Why is this even an issue?

Haley responded by stripping Weis of his play calling abilities in the second half of their playoff games causing an offensive implosion. Reportly he refused to have an OC his first year as coach because he didn't think anyone could call the plays better.
Many HCs call their own plays. Do you think Sean Payton is an @ss because he thinks an OC couldnt do a better job? I don't think his being unhappy with Charlie Weis makes him an idiot. Parcells was unhappy with him, ND was unhappy with him, and as I said rumors are BB wasn;t exactly thrilled, and the Pats O didnt exactly go backwards after he left.

Yes, I called him an arse and an idiot and hoped the Pats run up the score on him, but anyone who complains about the other coach running up the score in a preseason game is an arse and an idiot and deserves to have the score run up on him every game.
Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion. It seems to me he wasn't concerned with the final score, but the fact he was calling timeouts to extend the game. Maybe Harbaugh saw that as a good way to get extra evaluation and Haley saw it as a way to get players hurt.

I will admit that I do not know the tone of his conversation with Harbaugh, but it is very clear Haley told Harbaugh that he felt Harbauh was running up the score and didn't appreciate it.
No, I don't think that is clear at all. In fact it has been reported it wasn't about the score but the timeouts. Again, you are concluding that he is wrong for what he said to Harbaugh and you have no clue what he said.

Clearly Haley is out of line. You are talking about backups who are trying to make a team and then if they do not make that particular team they are auditioning to make other teams. It does not exactly catch another teams' attention to see a guy in victory formation. Most coaches around the NFL know how to get something out of preseason games, clearly Haley has not figured that out yet and is still clearly out of touch with the rest of the NFL.

Give Haley a break. He's under more pressure than any coach in the NFL this year. He has the 2001 - 2005 Patriots brain trust, 2008 quarterback and some excellent players dangling around his neck like an albatross. He has to win it all. Now. KC is a pressure cooker and Haley is the pot roast.

Last edited:
Give Haley a break. He's under more pressure than any coach in the NFL this year. He has the 2001 - 2005 Patriots brain trust, 2008 quarterback and some excellent players dangling around his neck like an albatross. He has to win it all. Now. KC is a pressure cooker and Haley is the pot roast.

With all due respect to the Donkeys :p, imagine if KC had truly gone for the Patriots Midwest moniker, and brought in JMcD as head coach. . . .

With all due respect to the Donkeys :p, imagine if KC had truly gone for the Patriots Midwest moniker, and brought in JMcD as head coach. . . .

Josh McDaniel snapped a few times in Denver, too. So many of these guys are not ready for the big chair. We are so incredibly fortunate that Mr. Kraft brought Bill Belichick to New England.

I just just don't get why Dallas Parcells' husband doesn't fire Haley for the abuse he spews publicly at the other employees in that organization.

What report? Neither man says it happened.
And if it did, who really cares. If Haley thought it was lame to call TOs so what?

I can't find the report now, but here is another:

Haley and his Baltimore counterpart, John Harbaugh, appeared to have some cross words during their brief post-game meeting on the field.

Read more: Haley, Harbaugh shrug off post-game disagreement - KansasCity.com

Doesn't sound like a friendly discussion,

Again, so? Clearly Harbaugh doesn't think Haley is an idiot, scumbag loser, moron, chump or at the other things he is being called in this thread.

Who knows what Harbaugh thinks about Haley? If he felt that way, he wouldn't say it in public. The fraternity of coaches means that rarely do coaches say anything bad about another coach. Either way, it isn't relevant to the argument.

I've heard rumors that if Weis didnt go to ND BB didnt want him back because they didn't get along. Who knows if rumors are true or not?
I find it hard to say a competitor wouldn't take issue with feeling he had his nose rubbed in it when he was down. I have a pretty good feeling that Haley wasn't telling McD that he was a big mean bully and he should play nice with others, but that he was telling him to beware if the tables are turned. Why is this even an issue?

C'mon, when there is smoke there is fire. You can find plenty of footage of Haley losing control on the sidelines from a shouting match with Anquan Boldin when he was a coordinator in Arizona to him berating Brody Croyle for a minute for burning a time out. The guy is a known hot head. His large ego is famous too.

To be fair, Weis has been known to have a large ego too which probably helped lead to their relationship. When you got two people with over inflated egos in a room working together, there is usually sparks.

Many HCs call their own plays. Do you think Sean Payton is an @ss because he thinks an OC couldnt do a better job? I don't think his being unhappy with Charlie Weis makes him an idiot. Parcells was unhappy with him, ND was unhappy with him, and as I said rumors are BB wasn;t exactly thrilled, and the Pats O didnt exactly go backwards after he left.

When Haley stripped Weis of his duties, it was in the playoffs after Weis announced that he was leaving for Florida. When Haley stripped him of the play calling duties, the offense totally fell apart.

Sean Payton has had an OC with the Saints. From 2006-2008 it was Doug Marrone. After Marrone left for Syracuse, Pete Carmichael took the job.

Typically first year head coaches don't go without an OC. When they do, they fail miserably. I seriously doubt Pioli was happy that Haley called his own plays being so green.

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion. It seems to me he wasn't concerned with the final score, but the fact he was calling timeouts to extend the game. Maybe Harbaugh saw that as a good way to get extra evaluation and Haley saw it as a way to get players hurt.

I have yet to see that to be the case. I have not seen one explaination state that it had to do with the timeouts. Harbaugh's apology/explaination of what he was doing sounded like Haley was upset that Harbaugh didn't take a knee.

No, I don't think that is clear at all. In fact it has been reported it wasn't about the score but the timeouts. Again, you are concluding that he is wrong for what he said to Harbaugh and you have no clue what he said.

Please provide these reports. I have yet to see one report that explained what they discussed. The only thing Harbaugh said that if it was a regular season game, he would have taken a knee implying Haley was upset that the Ravens went on to score the final TD or running up the score. Haley for his part said nothing about the specifics of the incident.

Josh McDaniel snapped a few times in Denver, too. So many of these guys are not ready for the big chair. We are so incredibly fortunate that Mr. Kraft brought Bill Belichick to New England.

I just just don't get why Dallas Parcells' husband doesn't fire Haley for the abuse he spews publicly at the other employees in that organization.

McDaniels is proof that being a great coordinator doesn't mean you can be a great head coach. In fact, all of the branches of the Belichcik tree is an example of that. I think Belichick picks his coordinators for specific skill sets and one of them is not being able to sit in the big chair at staff meetings.

McDaniels may one day become a great head coach, but he clearly doesn't have the skill sets right now. He tried too much to be like Belichick without Belichick's experience, savvy, or knowledge.

First the supposed issue wasn't running up the score, it was using timeouts in the final seconds.

Second, the worst we can possibly come up with is Haley said "I don't know about that" and Harbaugh answered him, and they both went to press conferences saying there was no issue.

How does that turn into what is going on in this thread, calling Haley an idiot and saying he is crying about running up the score?

Look if you dont like the guy, thats fine, but villifying him over nothing is silly.
Too many reports of what was said for it to be a fabrication. After all the reports, then came damage control, and Harbaugh in his apology isn't really apologizing. He is explaining why he did what he did.

If you watched the clip of the post game, Haley was really into it, and said quite a bit to Harbaugh, who tried to stop Haley from walking away and ended up walking quickly alongside Haley, who continued to sputter. No audio, but it was a lot more than, "Gee, I wish you had taken a knee."

Haley was truly pissed. That's the point. He isn't coaching the Ravens, he's coaching the Chiefs. What he should be doing is watching what Harbaugh is doing and try to emulate him. Pretty weird when losing coaches complain about how winning coaches coach.

No one is villifying Haley, just saying he is a moron who doesn't understand what the preseason is for, and who doesn't know when to shut his yap.

Give Haley a break. He's under more pressure than any coach in the NFL this year. He has the 2001 - 2005 Patriots brain trust, 2008 quarterback and some excellent players dangling around his neck like an albatross.
He has the 2001 - 2005 Patriots brain trust, 2008 quarterback and some excellent players, and he has no clue how to coach, and doesn't know how to use any of these assets.

I can't find the report now, but here is another:

Read more: Haley, Harbaugh shrug off post-game disagreement - KansasCity.com

Doesn't sound like a friendly discussion,
You said there were reports that he admonished or berated Harbaugh.
Then yuo link to an article where both say it was nothing:bricks:

Who knows what Harbaugh thinks about Haley? If he felt that way, he wouldn't say it in public. The fraternity of coaches means that rarely do coaches say anything bad about another coach. Either way, it isn't relevant to the argument.
So saying nothing is proof there was a big issue because if there was he wouldn't say anything?

C'mon, when there is smoke there is fire. You can find plenty of footage of Haley losing control on the sidelines from a shouting match with Anquan Boldin when he was a coordinator in Arizona to him berating Brody Croyle for a minute for burning a time out. The guy is a known hot head. His large ego is famous too.
Coaches have issues with players. Again none of this has anything to do with what is happening in this thread which is passing judgment about a conversation that happened that you have no idea what was said.

To be fair, Weis has been known to have a large ego too which probably helped lead to their relationship. When you got two people with over inflated egos in a room working together, there is usually sparks.
Coaches have egos. I'm sorry if that offends you. Most people in charge believe they know best, and that is part of how they became in charge. Once again I don't know what this has to do with ripping the guy for saying something you made up that he said.

When Haley stripped Weis of his duties, it was in the playoffs after Weis announced that he was leaving for Florida. When Haley stripped him of the play calling duties, the offense totally fell apart.
Weis quit, and Haley is wrong?

Sean Payton has had an OC with the Saints. From 2006-2008 it was Doug Marrone. After Marrone left for Syracuse, Pete Carmichael took the job.
And we all know who runs the offense.

Typically first year head coaches don't go without an OC. When they do, they fail miserably. I seriously doubt Pioli was happy that Haley called his own plays being so green.
So know you have decided that Pioli hired an offensive HC, the HC called his own plays and Pioli wasnt happy about it?
So now you have Haley wrong to manage his employees but Pioli is incompetant to manage his?
Look I get that Haley didn't get along with guys you like.
Why don't you focus on what he did instead of what you want to make up. It will give you more credibility.

I have yet to see that to be the case. I have not seen one explaination state that it had to do with the timeouts. Harbaugh's apology/explaination of what he was doing sounded like Haley was upset that Harbaugh didn't take a knee.
Again, you are making things up. Harbaugh didnt explain anything. He said he is sorry if the Chiefs were unhappy with the end of the game. I don't know how you can decide what it 'sounded like' when there were no specifics other than using the lack of specificity to guess the specifics must have been what you want them to be.

Please provide these reports. I have yet to see one report that explained what they discussed. The only thing Harbaugh said that if it was a regular season game, he would have taken a knee implying Haley was upset that the Ravens went on to score the final TD or running up the score. Haley for his part said nothing about the specifics of the incident.
Wait, niow you say there are no reports explaining it? Make up your mind.
"Not taking a knee" and "running up the score" are not the same thing. You seem to only want to consider things that fit your conclusion. As I explained it is very plausible that Haley was concened about getting guys hurt on unecessary plays.

You are sitting here saying it is stupid to complain about running up the score in a preseason game.
You have no idea if that is what Haley said.
So you assume it was so you can call the guy you already hold a grudge against and idiot.
If you don't see the problem with that, I don't know what to tell you.

Too many reports of what was said for it to be a fabrication. After all the reports, then came damage control, and Harbaugh in his apology isn't really apologizing. He is explaining why he did what he did.

If you watched the clip of the post game, Haley was really into it, and said quite a bit to Harbaugh, who tried to stop Haley from walking away and ended up walking quickly alongside Haley, who continued to sputter. No audio, but it was a lot more than, "Gee, I wish you had taken a knee."

Haley was truly pissed. That's the point. He isn't coaching the Ravens, he's coaching the Chiefs. What he should be doing is watching what Harbaugh is doing and try to emulate him. Pretty weird when losing coaches complain about how winning coaches coach.

No one is villifying Haley, just saying he is a moron who doesn't understand what the preseason is for, and who doesn't know when to shut his yap.

Every conclusion you are making is based on the assumption that Haley was mad that they scored another TD and you simply do not know that.
Maybe that is what its about, but this thread has become "Lets guess at what he said, and then incriminate him in case we guessed right"
I don't give 2 ****s about Haley, but the boneheaded logic in this thread is ridiculous.

Every conclusion you are making is based on the assumption that Haley was mad that they scored another TD and you simply do not know that.
Yeah, you are right. Haley only went bonkers because the Ravens used a timeout. He didn't care that they used a timeout to try another play. He was mad that harbaugh delayed the game 30 seconds and kept him from his x-Box.

Come on, man. WTH do you think the purpose of the timeouts were for? If Harbaugh called a timeout but didn't score, you think Haley would still be upset?

Cripes, Andy, your position that Haley wasn't upset at the Ravens calling a timeout to try to score again is unreasonable.

As I explained it is very plausible that Haley was concened about getting guys hurt on unecessary plays.
If that is true, then haley is a bigger idiot that I thought. There are no necessary plays in preseason. It is not necessary to win in prseason only to prepare and evaluate your team.

Do you have another reason for running plays in preseason other than to get starters ready for the regular season and to evaluate fringe players to see who to keep and who to cut? The purpose of preseason game is NOT to see how few plays you can run because they are unnecessary.

I would have had my guy take a knee, but maybe harbaugh wanted to see how his backups do in a goal line situation. Haley's job isn't to get mad at what his opponent does, whether it is call timeouts to run another play, blitz the crap out of the QB, play his #1's for 60 minutes, or whatever the opposing coach thinks he needs to do to prepare his team.

I don't see how you can call haley's rant, whatever it was about, idiotic. Even in the regular season, when the play might really have been unnecessary, complaining that playing football risks getting his players hurt is idiotic.

Last edited:
Yeah, you are right. Haley only went bonkers because the Ravens used a timeout. He didn't care that they used a timeout to try another play. He was mad that harbaugh delayed the game 30 seconds and kept him from his x-Box.

Come on, man. WTH do you think the purpose of the timeouts were for? If Harbaugh called a timeout but didn't score, you think Haley would still be upset?

Cripes, Andy, your position that Haley wasn't upset at the Ravens calling a timeout to try to score again is unreasonable.
My 'position' is that you have no idea what they discussed, and this thread is calling Haley an idiot becuase he doesnt realize the score of an exhibition game is irrelevant.
I agree that if Haley was mad because they tried to score another TD thats pretty stupid. That doesnt mean I assume thats what his complain was and conclude he is an idiot.
There is plenty of reason to believe he was more concerned about players getting injured in garbage time that he saw no evaluation value in than whether a TD was scored. By saying he may have been upset about calling a timeout, I am saying he may have been upset about extending the game meaninglessly and risking an injury. That is at least as reasonable as the tea leaves you are reading to conclude he must have said what you think he said.

Just to lighten things up a bit...The Browns have a player named Clutts. I think that's hysterical.

(now back to our regularly scheduled argument which should be featuring a, "I never said that" any minute now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes