Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT:Today is the Day we will live in Infamy..

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Patriots4Ever, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Patriots4Ever

Patriots4Ever Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I just wanted to take a moment to reflect on this Important Day.I know we have some veterans on the boards.So I just wanted to say thank you.
  2. Pat the Pats Fan

Pat the Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

To my Dad, who is no longer with us and everyone of his incredible generation, THANK YOU!

I will always remember something he told me about WWII.

When a bully tries to push you around, you have to fight back, and keep fighting until there isn't a chance for the bully to try again.
  3. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Amen. But why does the thread title read ...the Day WE will live in infamy. FDR wasn't saying WE will live in infamy, just the date of December 7, 1941! :)
  4. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Much like we common Americans have very little directly to do with the War in Iraq, I'm sure the common people of Japan had very little directly to do with WWII.

It's best to forgive and forget. You can't stay angry at an entire group of people due to the choices of their government a half a century ago. IMO, anyway.
  5. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +356 / 6 / -8

#75 Jersey

Thanks to all who served especially in combat.

Shameful to besmirch any veteran for political purposes.
  6. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well, to each their own, but that's not a healthy habit to make..

But then, per your own statements you're not that healthy, so I guess it all fits.
  7. CTPatsFan

CTPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Good call, P4E. Thanks to them all.

Kind of sad to see that the surviving veterans group said that this will be their last year attending the memorial service as a group.
  8. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

No event in histroy has matched the scope of WWII and the sacrifices of the generation that it effected. This is a day that aways should be remembered.

PS. If you can't pay tribute to those effected by this event without throwing in a political comment, you shouldn't post a comment at all.:mad:
  9. CTPatsFan

CTPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

An interesting tidbit that many (including myself) may not have known:

10. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +709 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

I need to go out and kick my wife's Toyota

Much thanks and deepest respect for all those families who sacrificed everything to keep us and the world free
  11. marty

marty Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

To our greatest generation, I am forever grateful.
  12. Pat_Nasty

Pat_Nasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pearl Harbor Day always makes me angry, too -- but for entirely different reasons.

By the time America entered the war, Jews throughout Europe had been deprived of their rights, denied employment, and stripped of all their property and assets. Jewish communitees throughout Europe were the victims of vicious rampages, in which thousands were killed, and no synagogue was left unvandalized.

By the time America had entered the war, the rest of Europe's Jewry had been forced into ghettos the poverty of which makes America's inner cities look like Beverly Hills. Thousands more died of starvation and disease. The concentration camps had been opened, and gassing had already begun at Aushwitz, before the U.S. entered the war... but not before 1.6 Million Jews were shot in open air, before Germany decided this wasn't efficient enough.

Yet Americans, for the most part, did not support entering the war. Isolationism was the prevailing feeling, and there was no shortage of sympathy in the States with the anti-semitism that was reaching violent expression in Europe. A bill that would allow 20,000 refugee children to enter the United States was killed in congress. Boatloads of Jewish immigrants were turned away and forced back to Europe.

News of the atrocities being committed across the ocean was reaching the states, and yet congress still voted to CUT it's quota of European immigrants by 25 percent. This wasn't just total indifference on the part of America to the horrible plight of Jews in Europe -- the United States was actively taking steps to AVOID helping the Jews escape Nazi brutality, if it meant allowing them into our country. And up until the day America itself was attacked, Roosevelt could not find support for any sort of intervention in America.

So now, knowing all this, whenever I hear all the "greatest generation" rhetoric about our country answering the call to arms to defend the world from tyrants and bullies, I get angry.

I'm sorry, but when you actively refuse to take steps to save the lives of a people being subjected to genocide until you yourself have been attacked, you don't get to get up on a moral high horse every Dec. 7th because America finally got off its apathetic ass.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  13. Keegs

Keegs Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Of course.
    thanks.

And it is hard to forgive or forget this.

Have any of you been to the Memorial??

it is very eerie and sad.
    Even little kids show respect,behave themselves, and are silent there b/c it is that sad and the way it is out on the water above the sunken ship makes it seem more "realistic" (for lack of a better word).

the ship still drips oil to the surface of the water and you can see it.
  14. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I agree completely. That's like holding all white Americans responsible for the crime of slavery perpetrated a century or more before they were born, whether or not their ancestors were actual slaveholders or not. (In my case, they didn't even live in this country until 1908...)

How do you feel about Germans? (I think I can predict your answer...)
  15. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Obviously at only two, you were too young to feel any anger over the incident. So you were taught/programmed by others throughout the years -- correct? Then why have you held on to such anger during your lifetime, when surely you must know that no good can result for yourself and others from storing such negative feelings?

Perhaps too late for some...
  16. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have to agree with this... Americans simply didn't care. I fully believe the so-called "conspiracy" that FDR allowed the attacks in order to get us into war. It was well documented that he wanted us to join the war but the sentiment amongst the american public was unpopular.
  17. thomas144

thomas144 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My wife and I were married 21 years ago on this day. Infamy? Not really. It hasn't been that bad at all, but thanks for thinking of us!
  18. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm proud of the fact that I didn't need any prompting to remember; but I've been fascinated with that time period since watching re-runs of Black Sheep Squadron decades ago.

Pat nasty, I can agree with you to the extent that we weren't perfect in our handling of the Fascists. We could have acted sooner; but it was our guy, Woodrow Wilson, that had the plan to prevent this war altogether 2 decades before the first shot was fired. I firmly believe that if the winners of WWI had reconciled with the loosers rather than beating the ever loving crap out of them during the peace 'negotiations,' then Hitler would have been some German loon that hardly anyone in GERMANY would have remembered let alone the rest of the world. Europe chose the road that led to WWII. IMO that made it their fight and any help we provided was over and above the call of duty.

BTW the idea that Roosevelt intentionally left Pearl Harbor undefended is ludicrous and blasphemes one of our finest presidents.
  19. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

We had a radar intercept two hours before it happened. If that could get ignored inadvertently, anything else being ignored/misinterpreted is possible.

The Japanese were little, tiny, nearsighted goobers that couldn't march in a straight line let alone shoot or carry off a sophisticated air attack thousands of miles from home in our eyes. When Macarthur was informed that the attack had happened he asked if they had used mercenary pilots ('cause as far as he was concerned there was no way one of those 'rice balls' could ever pilot a plane) and he was a military genius. If that guy could be that far off, what could one expect from some measly civilian?

Worst case as far as FDR's reputation is concerned: He thought that our assets in the Philippines would be attacked and that the attack would be a colossal failure that the Navy/Marines would repel easily. This would give him an excuse to beat them down and expand our influence.

That's just an opinion and its not even mine; but its the closest sensible theory to the notion that FDR intentionally let the Japanese catch us off guard.