PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Time to end the Farve nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
And we thought Spygate was bad with FESPN, they are just overboard with orgasmic stuff on this guy.. They said , and Wendi Nix who is from new england, says there is a open competition.. Well Fox's Jay Glazer says there will be no open competetion.. So the guy cant compete, he cant be traded in the division, he cant be realesed.. He wants to play for 2 teams Pack and Vikes, and it looks like none of its going to happen..

Im so sick of turning on the tv and the nfl network, and hearing about Brett Farve. Steve marriuchi, might have clinical depression over this, John Madden might need the d fib.. Its time to end, Farve should have stayed retired, and the Pack should have cut him or just traded him if they did not want him.. Both are at fault, and it makes me glad we are Pats fans.. And no one is even talking spy gate now..

Re: OT- Time to End the Farve nonsense

Actually I am thankful for the Farve drama- no more Spygate or 18-1 talk on the Patriots. They can talk about this forever for all I care because you know the minute it ends it will be something anti-Patriots.

And you know we're due for the sequel next year because if Favre plays for Green Bay and they make the playoffs (good chance in that division) the talk will start all over again.

Is it me or does the "win NOW" reasoning by the "experts" calling for Favre's return just seem so contradictory to the typical "a long-term plan in place to build a winning franchise" bit we usually hear? Who cares about the future when you have a shot to win this year with a 50-year old QB? Please.

Is he going to do another Farewell/retirement tour like he did the last 2 seasons?:p

Yeah, the team has handled it badly, but based on who they have to work with, some of that was inevitable. Favre needs to be more accomodating. If he really really wants to play, he'd allow a trade to more than just one team, within the division mind you.

If I'm the Packers, I call his bluff. trade his rights to the Jets on a sliding scale. If he choses to retire you get the Jets 7th round pick in 2030. If he plays and is ineffective, you get a 4th rounder. If he starts 10 games, you get a 1st rounder. Something along those lines. Either way, you're done with him and if Lord Favre really wants to play, he's gotta go where they send him. If he opts for retirement again, then we know that with Brett its more about the headlines than actually playing football.

continue the coverage. it's taking the spotlight off the pats.

You know, if it weren't for the fact that I think that Paymetons and Sheli Manning both define "teh suck," I might actually feel sorry for them. They win the SB, only to have those wins vastly outshadowed by other stories ("all your free agent are belong to us" last year, Spygate/Favregate this year).

That's exactly how I feel - the controversy of the year (so far) doesn't involve us; thank God.

Actually I am thankful for the Farve drama- no more Spygate or 18-1 talk on the Patriots. They can talk about this forever for all I care because you know the minute it ends it will be something anti-Patriots.

And you know we're due for the sequel next year because if Favre plays for Green Bay and they make the playoffs (good chance in that division) the talk will start all over again.

Is it me or does the "win NOW" reasoning by the "experts" calling for Favre's return just seem so contradictory to the typical "a long-term plan in place to build a winning franchise" bit we usually hear? Who cares about the future when you have a shot to win this year with a 50-year old QB? Please.

Couldn't agree more. Last night one of the talking heads (think it was Mooch) was babbling about how sometimes you have a window and just have to make the most of it. Weren't the Packers just wrapping up a rebuild with one of the youngest teams in the league? I'd be concerned that I didn't screw up the tracking while installing that new window whereby it never works as it was supposed to...

Goodell is the one who totally screwed this up. Farve was going to take the marketing deal and go home. I think the let the icon play (and not look like a chump mercenary for the good of the league image) mentality caused Goodell to hamstring a team that stepped up to work out an 11th hour accommodation that was in everyone's best interest.

Amid all this talk about the Packers contending for another superbowl shot they aren't taking into account that much of what happened last season was the result of a weak schedule. Thompson and McCarthy were surprised, and likely weren't expecting another 13 win season. They were likely hoping a dropoff might yet result in 10 wins, which is usually enough to qualify for the post season in the NFC. The ultimate fallout from this may be a sub .500 season where neither QB appears to have been the right choice. And both may be essentially gone in it's aftermath - one back to his tractor and the other into therapy. Mooch says, just get Brett to agree to let the kid play in garbage time and then use the tag to keep him past 2009... Even after they told him you don't tag a guy for $12-13M just to finally get him his test drive... This is why Mooch is still babbling in the booth. He stated repeatedly that he is admittedly biased to his boy but Brett would simply start for him with no competition. After all, he is Brett Favre.

Well, with Favre's massive ego mucking up the process and his legacy and the Packers making some very poorly miscaluculated errors, it is high drama in a slow period. How could the media not go overboard with their love of sensationalism. It isn't just ESPN. NFL Total Access has turned into NFL Totally Favre. Profootball Talk is the Favre Rumor Site now. SI.com covers Favre all the time (granted Peter King's well documented man crush on Favre is legendary).

I think both sides are to blame although I slightly side with the Packers on this. The process has revealed the egomanic that Brett Favre really is. He has his own private dressing room. He wanted to dictate to management who to hire as head coach, sign as players, and resign. When he doesn't get his way he wants to pout.

I used to think Favre was one of the greatest guys in sports even with some of his flaws. But now I think the God-like status he gets in Green Bay and the free pass the media has given all these years (TO was right about his comments in the Super Bowl where he came back from the broken leg that if it was Brett Favre the media would have portrayed it like Jesus resurrecting from the dead) has turned him into an egomanical jerk. I think if the Packers haven't made so many mistakes in this process, many in the country would be turning on this guy.

It is a shame what this story has done to the reputation of Favre. Of all the noise, I think that is what is the worst thing about this process.

Wendy Nix is actually from North Carolina - but worked at local Boston channel 7 news for three years prior to her ESPN gig - she is also married to a Red Sox Employee - I beleive the director of Scouting....

Anyway, please GB, please, trade that selfish prick, Favre, to the Jest so I can see him implode there - and watch the Jest fans heads explode - all at the same time. Pretty please!

Last edited:
Favre gets his wish, starts and ends up being YANKED in favor of Rodgers after getting mercilessly outplayed by almost all the opponents.

Either way, I think he'll go away from the news a few weeks into the mid-season.

This comeback will be an embarrassment on the field. Maybe we should start calling him Brett Osbourne?

Yeah, the team has handled it badly, but based on who they have to work with, some of that was inevitable. Favre needs to be more accomodating. If he really really wants to play, he'd allow a trade to more than just one team, within the division mind you.

If I'm the Packers, I call his bluff. trade his rights to the Jets on a sliding scale. If he choses to retire you get the Jets 7th round pick in 2030. If he plays and is ineffective, you get a 4th rounder. If he starts 10 games, you get a 1st rounder. Something along those lines. Either way, you're done with him and if Lord Favre really wants to play, he's gotta go where they send him. If he opts for retirement again, then we know that with Brett its more about the headlines than actually playing football.
I'm with you 100%, I really do not understand why the Packers FO folded and didn't take this option. Just add a clause to the wording of the trade that prevents the Jets from releasing Favre or trading him (e.g., if Favre plays for another team in 2008 and plays five or more games against the NFC, the Packers get the Jets 1st & 3rd round picks).

Another option would be to trade him to a team that is looking for cash (Bills, Bengals, Jaguars.) Once Favre doesn't report, the team can go after the remaining pro-rated portion of his signing bonus, the way Tampa Bay did with Jake Plummer. That should net that team about $3 - $4 million.

Either way, the Packers probably get what they really want - for Favre to stay retired - or at worst, Favre is out of the NFC and with a team they don't play this year.

Absolutely true. I clicked on a Pats article in another thread in USA Today and the haters are still out there in full force. It was as if I went back in time six or eight months ago. The media figures that out and they're going to try and bait both sides with their stories in order to increase page views and ad revenue.

The problem with the scenario in which the Packers deal him where he doesn't want to go isn't from the Packers side. It is on the other side. No one wants to bring the circus going on in Green Bay to their own locker room.

I think the only way out for GB is to start Favre.

If Favre plays lights out for them, tehy may look like dopes, but remember: Winning makes everyone happy. They will be saying how they wanted him all along, and Brett will be basking in the glory of winning and will say the right things. Everyone is happy excpet Aaron Rogers, who can use the next year to play really well for one year and get a nice FA contract on top of the $8 mil he was paid to carry a clipboard for four years and play one year for GB. So even Rogers will be happy.

If Favre sucks, let him lose the first game to the Vikings. If he keeps sucking, he will be booed in Lambeau (again) and fans will cry for Rogers. Then GB can pull him and insert Rogers. Everyone is happy except Favre, who really can't say anything because he is the one who sucked.

i thought favre didn't want to play for the packers and was trying to force a trade???

talk about ruining a legacy.

If I got a '56 T-Bird sitting in my garage

Am I going to give it to my neighbor or sell it to him.

Why should the Packers be philantrhopic. They own him. Brett coulda signed a one year deal. That signing for security is stupid. I work on a day to day contract as all of us do. Players should have more faith in thereselves - one year deals give you more control. Walter Alston - 22 one year deals.

That's exactly how I feel - the controversy of the year (so far) doesn't involve us; thank God.

That's a very good point B. I don't think that I'll say another bad thing about the Favre coverage. Let them have at it. Maybe now we can enjoy our football season in peace.

i thought favre didn't want to play for the packers and was trying to force a trade???

talk about ruining a legacy.

That was the last I'd heard too. Apparently the Jets are in the mix, as well as the Bears plus a couple of others.

Whatever he ends up doing, the crap he's pulling this year says it all. I hope he goes somewhere and tanks, and that Rogers has an outstanding season:D I really feel badly for him. Apparently there were a group of Packer fans at practice yelling "WE WANT BRETT" lol. And all because he created this DRAMA for himself. If he'd retired like he said he was going to do, people would've mostly moved on and looked forward. Instead this seems to be polarizing them. You're either pro Brett or pro-Packers, not both. Some legacy:rolleyes:

Count me among the 'delighted to have the drama moved elsewhere' too :p It's good to relax and just think about football for a change:rocker:

There is always going to be a drama ... Vick - spygate - Favre ... hopefully Mangini is next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back