PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Tim Tebow to Stay at Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
QB Tim Tebow to bypass draft, remain at Florida - ESPN

I have mixed feelings on this. Tebow is only the 5th player ever to win the Heisman and 2 national titles, and he still has one more year to play. I am generally FOR players finishing all 4 years, and I can see the rationale that he could use the extra year to become a better pocket passer, BUT...

Look at these numbers:
Tim Tebow Stats, News, Photos - Florida Gators - NCAA College Football - ESPN

I really don't see what else the guy can improve upon by staying in college ball. He has already won the big one twice, plus the Heisman. The last two seasons he's passed 32td/6int and 30td/4int, an incredible ratio.

I think he's making a mistake, and could learn much more next year with a pro team, learning the pro system. Oh well, it worked out great the last time this happened for Matt Leinart!!!

I think this is the best thing he could do. With a chance to win another Heisman and championship, he could accomplish more in college than anyone in history.

plus he isnt getting drafted anywhere near where he wanted to

Oh well, it worked out great the last time this happened for Matt Leinart!!!
Matt Leinart played in a pro system and came just short of winning a piece of 3 straight national championships in a game where the last team with the ball and time on the clock was going to win. He may have gone earlier the year before, but he was still a first round pick either way. A gamble that didn't pay off but didn't destroy him.

Tebow plays in a gimmick offense and is a second day pick for any team that isn't reaching. Maybe he improves that status next year if he wins a second Heisman? His signing bonus may be the biggest pay day he ever receives.

No comparison between Leinart and Tebow. Leinart ended up going from the undisputed top pick to out of the top 10. His draft status could only stay the same or go down when he stayed in school.

Tebow is a mid round pick today. He'll probably be a mid round pick at this time next year. It is doubtful that gets worse and could possibly get better. In the meantime he gets to continue what has a chance to be the all time best college career if the season goes right for him.

I pretty much agree with what you guys have said about his pro prospects.

Now as a Gators fan, I'm excited to see him come back and hopefully get 3 National Titles in 4 years.

Last edited:
Worth noting that Florida hired a QB coach with NFL experience presumably to straighten out Tebow's mechanics.

I'd love to know if Tebow got any promises from Florida that they would coach him to play more like a pro. He is a college football legend but he does so many things that make you think he would be crushed by a pro defence.

I'm nervous for him, but happy. It's what he wants to do. Plus, did you see that presentation he gave to the student body? He's a god in Gainesville. Not the worst experience in the world.

At the very least, he's a candidate for a Dolphin QB: Florida boy running the Wildcat.

I watch all 3 levels of football. High school. College and Pro. I just don't get all of
the hating on Tebow. He's a great kid. Loves college football. Might be the best
damn college player I've ever seen. Isn't the greatest pro-prospect. Wants to finish
his college career. Hope he stays healthy and accomplishes as much as he can.

If (insert name)* can get a starting job, so can Tebow. Having said that, as a Florida alum, I am ecstatic about his decision.

Tavaris Jackson
Dan Orlovsky
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Any of the McCowns
Tyler Thigpen

And the guy has infinite more talent than Matt Lienhart and actually takes the time to study film and work on his game.

No comparison between Leinart and Tebow. Leinart ended up going from the undisputed top pick to out of the top 10. His draft status could only stay the same or go down when he stayed in school.

Tebow is a mid round pick today. He'll probably be a mid round pick at this time next year. It is doubtful that gets worse and could possibly get better. In the meantime he gets to continue what has a chance to be the all time best college career if the season goes right for him.

I agree...here on an NFL messageboard it's easy to think of the NFL as the goal of college football, but it's not that way for every player. Tebow is hardly a lock to make mega-millions in a fabulous pro career, but he is a lock to be the biggest thing in college football next year, and he has a real chance of becoming one of the true legends of his game, something that lasts you a lifetime (ask Doug Flutie!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes