PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:Thoughts & prayers go to Ellis Hobbs III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the hit, was a horrible hit!

Glad Hobbs is ok!

You can see clearly at the end of the video that he is giving a thumbs up to the crowd. Very unfortunate nontheless... hope he gets well soon.

Hobbs injury on NFL.com

Did i hear dude day that was a legal play? That was clear helmet to hemlet. His head looked like it got pushed in like a turtle...or a rock em sock em robot.

Did i hear dude day that was a legal play? That was clear helmet to hemlet. His head looked like it got pushed in like a turtle...or a rock em sock em robot.

Yeah, not only was it helmet to helmet, if anyone was observant enough, it was the SAME Giant who Samuel creamed about 10 minutes earlier. It was the new receiver, number 85! It was obvious the guy was humiliated getting twapped by Samuel, falling like a pile of bricks right on his face, while Asante just leisurely took a stroll laughing to himself.
It was the most obvious case of "Oh, screw this. I'm gonna get even right here... bam!" by a player I've ever seen. Did nobody else notice this? Number 85 was searching out a helmet to helmet on that play to save face. Well, he got one alright.
And Collinsworth said it just happened by chance. No it didn't. It was intentional. He lowered his helmet down lower than usual to make sure he met Hobbes helmet.
And it did go in like a turtle. Looked like possible neck vertebrae compression. That's way dangerous, no only for the 4 that are up there, but the nerves running through them. Thank God Hobbes appeared to have movement in all extremities.

best wishes hope he is ok . Hopefully no one of us get a problem like that in our lifes. get well Ellis!!!

Opened this thread with trepidation; glad to see that he seems reasonably OK post game. Best wishes (except for February) to Ellis Hobbs III.

That was really tough to watch. Best wishes, Ellis.

Yeah, not only was it helmet to helmet, if anyone was observant enough, it was the SAME Giant who Samuel creamed about 10 minutes earlier. It was the new receiver, number 85! It was obvious the guy was humiliated getting twapped by Samuel, falling like a pile of bricks right on his face, while Asante just leisurely took a stroll laughing to himself.
It was the most obvious case of "Oh, screw this. I'm gonna get even right here... bam!" by a player I've ever seen. Did nobody else notice this? Number 85 was searching out a helmet to helmet on that play to save face. Well, he got one alright.
And Collinsworth said it just happened by chance. No it didn't. It was intentional. He lowered his helmet down lower than usual to make sure he met Hobbes helmet.
And it did go in like a turtle. Looked like possible neck vertebrae compression. That's way dangerous, no only for the 4 that are up there, but the nerves running through them. Thank God Hobbes appeared to have movement in all extremities.

Disgusting, and you know the league won't do **** about it.

Uhh yea dude I was watching and collinsworth didn't even reference the hit until hobbs was laying there lifeless, it was scary as hell. He kept goin on and on about some bs about ST. Like the scariest aspect of the game didn't just happen.

Then after that he has the balls to say it wasn't an illegal hit because hobbs wasn't defenseless.

Really Collinsworth??!!

Glad to see Hobbs was moving when they took him off and that he was seen walking before the end of the game. that replay looked brutal and it just as easily could have been very ugly...darn scary hit.

Can Goodell try to fine the announcer (Collinsworth) for his commentary? He realyl showed alot of concern for a player on the field (And yes, I know he can't but someone needs to sit that boy down and tell him to respect the moment).

I understand your anger but helmet to helmet is in the rules that situation. If a runner has the ball you can hit him in the helmet, just think of how many helmet to helmet calls there would be against running backs if that wasn't allowed.

The rules are a horribly written though, it's funny how if your a QB or a WR trying to make a catch you can barely get touched but if your a running back its like the league doesn't give a **** about you.

Be Well, EH3, hope that you'll be OK

My best wishes to you, as well, Brother Hobbs.

I didn't watch the game, nor did I see the hit, and I am so glad I didn't. I wish him nothing but the best at a speedy recovery.

Ok.. First things first. If you watch the replay, it was #71 who hit Hobbs Helmet to Helmet, from the front. The NFL.com replay clearly shows that #85 MISSED Hobbs almost entirely.

That being said, I don't see why #71 had to lower his helmet. He's a reserve DE and easily has 50lbs on Hobbs.. He could have wrapped Hobbs up easily without lowering his helmet. He should be fined for that play..

I understand your anger but helmet to helmet is in the rules that situation. If a runner has the ball you can hit him in the helmet, just think of how many helmet to helmet calls there would be against running backs if that wasn't allowed.

The rules are a horribly written though, it's funny how if your a QB or a WR trying to make a catch you can barely get touched but if your a running back its like the league doesn't give a **** about you.

You can hit the runner with your helmet, but you can't lower your helmet and hit him with the CROWN, which is what Tollefson clearly did when you watch the NFL.com replay.

Ok.. First things first. If you watch the replay, it was #71 who hit Hobbs Helmet to Helmet, from the front. The NFL.com replay clearly shows that #85 MISSED Hobbs almost entirely.

That being said, I don't see why #71 had to lower his helmet. He's a reserve DE and easily has 50lbs on Hobbs.. He could have wrapped Hobbs up easily without lowering his helmet. He should be fined for that play..

He should be fined, but this will really open up a pandoras box. If they starting fining for helmet to helmet hits on ball carriers (RBs) we'll see the first 300 yard rushing game the next week

Good to hear Hobbs is ok.

I would have figured he hurt his neck watching receivers blow by him /too soon?

Last edited:
He should be fined, but this will really open up a pandoras box. If they starting fining for helmet to helmet hits on ball carriers (RBs) we'll see the first 300 yard rushing game the next week

I disagree. There is a difference between Helmet to Helmet and leading with the CROWN of your helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back