Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: The Voice Opening "Hallelujah"

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Ian, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +208 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

We started watching it with the kids this year, and I have to say the opening for tonight was extremely moving. They opened the show singing "Hallelujah" while holding cards with names of each of the victims from the Connecticut shootings. I was moved last night when they were firing off the flares before the Patriots game, but this one was pretty incredible.
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 5 / -15

#87 Jersey

Love this show ...

it's like the only show I watch all week and they get it right ... was moving tonight and with great taste.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +388 / 6 / -9

Pretty moving for a network show... I think I saw one of those (either the Voice or some other talent-show type show) where a woman sang more of it... but it's beautiful for the melody and the lyrics both. What's so un-doable is the complexity of singing all the words to this on most shows, because it's so "adult" as Cohen wrote it, and can offend people religiously, on "explicit" grounds, etc. Just like the feelings it explains it's holy and profane at the same time... and it's SO powerful when people with the pipes for it sing it, but they rarely do it justice. And of course in a Newtown tribute you can hardly sing "All I ever learned from love/Is how to shoot at someone who outdrew you..."

Here's Leonard doing the whole thing... like a lot of singer/songwriters, the sad part is he knows what he wants to hear, but can't sing it... not like "real" singers that can tease emotion out of singing the phonebook to the tune of yankee doodle dandy (and not be flat on any given note)... but at least this way you get all his words. (And he's a real poet too... those "ya"s are "you"s, expectations of straight rhyme be damned...)

Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah - YouTube

If you've never heard all the words to this, it's a revelation... this ain't Shrek. (And um... well, he adds words all over the place... "every breath we drew" becomes "every single breath we drew" here... so give him space, it's live)