PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The Official Stanley Cup Finals Game 7 thread

Keyser, what is going on in your sig? I haven't seen any games, just some highlights, and why is the Canucks player just standing there?

He is what you would call a sissy little girl. Marchand was pushing his buttons because the Sedin Twins are too scared to fight back.

I never understood and will never understand how someone can not be a fan of their hometown team even if they're terrible. It's like being a trader. That would be like if we Pats fans "became" Dallas fans in the early 90s when the Pats were awful. Or if we "became" SF fans in the early 80s.
I think we all know "that kid" in high school who liked non-Boston teams. I had one, actually a good friend, who liked Detroit in basketball, Hartford in hockey, Toronto in baseball, and Oakland/LA Raiders in football.

On fandom: As a kid I was totally into Red Sox, Bruins and Patriots. Yaz, Lynn, El Tiante, Orr, Awrey, Bucyk, Hannah, Cunningham, Herron, Grogan. Massive card collections, total stat geek, devoured newspaper sports sections. Early adult years I didn't really pay much attention to sports -- just moved onto other things but started coming back in the early 90s (just before Bledsoe and Nomar came along). My attention since has gone to the Patriots and Red Sox, up or down. Not following the Bruins is just one of those compromises I made as a married man, to be honest: Follow the games I love most passionately (Pats, Sox) and sacrifice others for the sake of greater happiness and balance. :) So I'm a lapsed Bruins fan who is still able to enjoy this ride and feel happiest for the most hardcore who kept watching.

Bottom line: I can so how interest in sports or a specific sport can come and go. But to switch allegiances and root for another team besides your hometown -- that's just mighty wrong.

:rofl:

Wouldn't it be great if I had the power to change other screw ups in my life with a "mod edit".

My favorite thing about golf is taking a Mulligan.

I wouldn't mind not having that mod edit if all my screw-ups were that trivial ... :(

Keyser, what is going on in your sig? I haven't seen any games, just some highlights, and why is the Canucks player just standing there?

The Canucks player is just standing there because he is a ****y... That is Daniel Sedin. He and his brother are the kings of cheap shots with their sticks and diving when someone looks at them the wrong way.. I loved it when Tim Thomas leveled Henrik in front of the net..

After Detroit,

Ew Ew Ew Ew dude!!! :p

I'm not a Bruins fan but I support them tonight for 2 reasons:
-Hatred towards Vancouver
-Being a western PA native, black and yellow has been my favorite song the past 9 months :cool:

He is what you would call a sissy little girl. Marchand was pushing his buttons because the Sedin Twins are too scared to fight back.

Some of the European players just weren't bred in the American/Canadian "ice boxing" culture, where fighting is considered integral to the game. I think what Marchand did was unnecessary. Fighting in the heat of battle is one thing, but continually jabbing a guy in the face just to "intimidate" is stupid.

What I don't get about this series is how much better the Canucks play at home, especially Luongo. Why can't the Bruins take their offense to Vancouver? That better change tonight.

I never understood and will never understand how someone can not be a fan of their hometown team even if they're terrible. It's like being a trader. That would be like if we Pats fans "became" Dallas fans in the early 90s when the Pats were awful. Or if we "became" SF fans in the early 80s.

I knew a 40-year-old guy from Rhode Island who was given a Raiders t-shirt when he was four years old and loved pirates. He's been loyal to the Raiders from that day forward. Silly? Maybe, but heartfelt.

WHAT? We got slid over to the Main board. Sweet!

First goal will be big. The vibe around Vancouver tonight will be borderline Olympic (I'll say a step down, albeit slightly).

The B's need to hit and hit and hit and keep hitting. You got the summer to rest up.

TT deserves the Cup tonight to go with the Conn Smythe. My exact kind of player, quiet, unassuming, hard working, loyal, modest, fiercely and quietly competitive. The best. His counterpart should have learned a lot from how he conducted himself this series.

Sucks Horton will not be on the ice, at least he made the trip.

And for those not as familiar as others with the situation up here, don't assume Vancouver is "Canada's team", they are clearly not. They are full of divers, slashers, poor actors, cheap shot artists etc. We root root for the blue collars, hard working lunch pail team.

No passengers tonight...

I feel like a bit of a bandwagoner re: these Bruins as I never really watched the sport growing up, but have greatly enjoyed these last couple seasons as some hockey-fan friends have gotten me to appreciate the game.

I am rooting hard for them tonite not just due to this interest, but also more as a reward for the true diehard Bruins fans who stuck with this team and this sport in tougher times.

And for those not as familiar as others with the situation up here, don't assume Vancouver is "Canada's team", they are clearly not. ...

I've thought that the whole USA vs Canada thing has been a bit overplayed in this series. I caught some of Channel 7's live coverage of the Bs' departure west for Game 5 and was totally perplexed when the crowd started chanting "USA, USA." NHL teams have probably the most international rosters outside of soccer of any North American league; and teams like the Bruins are still made up of mostly Canadians. I guess you could say it's like when the Pats play the Jets and it's "Boston vs New York" regardless of where the players come from (or if one team is actually from Jersey and the other Foxboro), but introducing nationalism seems a bit far-fetched to me.

The Bruins were the first team I latched onto as a 6 or 7 year old. I remember goofing around with my street hockey stick in the basement (unfinished, cement floor - great for little kid street hockey), shooting tennis balls against the wall and listening to the home games on the radio because I didn't have NESN at the time. As a little kid I really grew to hate Quebec and the Stastny brothers. Only the road games were on free TV (Ch 38, WSBK TV, Boston - cue Dana Hersey voice over! :D) so lots of us were left listening to the radio call, and I'd pretend to be Bourque, Middleton, Brad Park, Stan Jonathan, Cashman, Terry O'Reilly...man, those were some fun teams. Tonight, Bruins fans who are too young to remember the 72 team, but old enough to remember near misses in 78, 88, and 90 have a chance to come full circle...LETS GO BRUINS...LETS GO BRUINS...LETS GO BRUINS...LETS GO BRUINS...LETS GO BRUINS...

Some of the European players just weren't bred in the American/Canadian "ice boxing" culture, where fighting is considered integral to the game. I think what Marchand did was unnecessary. Fighting in the heat of battle is one thing, but continually jabbing a guy in the face just to "intimidate" is stupid.

What I don't get about this series is how much better the Canucks play at home, especially Luongo. Why can't the Bruins take their offense to Vancouver? That better change tonight.

It wasn't done to intimidate Sedin. It was done to see if he'd flop to the ground like he's done in the past..There have been very few players over the years who I have actually hated. Ulf Samuelsson is one. The Sedin twins are others. The way they flop around when they get touched in attempts to draw penalties is disgusting. It reminds me of crappy soccer players that do the same thing. It's also the reason they've been called on it at least 3 times during the series.

It wasn't done to intimidate Sedin. It was done to see if he'd flop to the ground like he's done in the past..There have been very few players over the years who I have actually hated. Ulf Samuelsson is one. The Sedin twins are others. The way they flop around when they get touched in attempts to draw penalties is disgusting. It reminds me of crappy soccer players that do the same thing. It's also the reason they've been called on it at least 3 times during the series.

The worst/best example, depending on how you look at it, was when (Burrows or LaPierre, can't remember which dbag :D) was jostling with Lucic prior to a face off and the Dbag stepped over Lucic's stick and "made" himself trip looking for a call...i think Lucic got two for roughing and Burrows or Lapierre got two for embellishment)....

The Bruins were the first team I latched onto as a 6 or 7 year old. I remember goofing around with my street hockey stick in the basement (unfinished, cement floor - great for little kid street hockey), shooting tennis balls against the wall and listening to the home games on the radio because I didn't have NESN at the time. As a little kid I really grew to hate Quebec and the Stastny brothers. Only the road games were on free TV (Ch 38, WSBK TV, Boston - cue Dana Hersey voice over! :D) so lots of us were left listening to the radio call, and I'd pretend to be Bourque, Middleton, Brad Park, Stan Jonathan, Cashman, Terry O'Reilly...man, those were some fun teams. Tonight, Bruins fans who are too young to remember the 72 team, but old enough to remember near misses in 78, 88, and 90 have a chance to come full circle...LETS GO BRUINS...LETS GO BRUINS...LETS GO BRUINS...LETS GO BRUINS...LETS GO BRUINS...

I also started at around 8 years old.. I took a broken blade and taped it to an old rake handle and practice..I remember 88 and 90.. Andy Moog was my favorite player. Still ticked at Sinden for running Andy and Reggie out of town.. And for ruining so many goaltending prospects..

My first game at the "Gahden" was during the run in 1990 when the Bruins finally broke the Montreal curse. I remember skipping out of school the day of the game and getting tickets in the 8th row of the balcony on the red line and watching the Bruins just CRUSH Montreal. I still have the ticket stub, somewhere.

Neely, Janney, Christian, Poulin, Propp, Bourque, Burridge, Galley, Wesley, Byers, Pederson..I actually found a cassette tape where I taped a song about the Bruins that year..

The worst/best example, depending on how you look at it, was when (Burrows or LaPierre, can't remember which dbag :D) was jostling with Lucic prior to a face off and the Dbag stepped over Lucic's stick and "made" himself trip looking for a call...i think Lucic got two for roughing and Burrows or Lapierre got two for embellishment)....

It was Burrows.. And yeah.. he got two for Embellishment. What I can't figure out is why Lucic got called when it was plain as day that Burrows caused himself to fall..

Burrows is the another guy I hate.. Biting another player.. And he's done it before..He did it in the AHL 2 years ago.. Guys like him don't belong playing..

Last edited:
I've thought that the whole USA vs Canada thing has been a bit overplayed in this series. I caught some of Channel 7's live coverage of the Bs' departure west for Game 5 and was totally perplexed when the crowd started chanting "USA, USA." NHL teams have probably the most international rosters outside of soccer of any North American league; and teams like the Bruins are still made up of mostly Canadians. I guess you could say it's like when the Pats play the Jets and it's "Boston vs New York" regardless of where the players come from (or if one team is actually from Jersey and the other Foxboro), but introducing nationalism seems a bit far-fetched to me.

It's actually pretty stupid and uneducated when you consider that there are FIFTEEN CANADIANS on the Bruins team. And uh, only three Americans.

It was Burrows.. And yeah.. he got two for Embellishment. What I can't figure out is why Lucic got called when it was plain as day that Burrows caused himself to fall..

Burrows is the another guy I hate.. Biting another player.. And he's done it before..He did it in the AHL 2 years ago.. Guys like him don't belong playing..
I think the matching minors were an example of scared officiating
I also started at around 8 years old.. I took a broken blade and taped it to an old rake handle and practice..I remember 88 and 90.. Andy Moog was my favorite player. Still ticked at Sinden for running Andy and Reggie out of town.. And for ruining so many goaltending prospects..

My first game at the "Gahden" was during the run in 1990 when the Bruins finally broke the Montreal curse. I remember skipping out of school the day of the game and getting tickets in the 8th row of the balcony on the red line and watching the Bruins just CRUSH Montreal. I still have the ticket stub, somewhere.

Neely, Janney, Christian, Poulin, Propp, Bourque, Burridge, Galley, Wesley, Byers, Pederson..I actually found a cassette tape where I taped a song about the Bruins that year..

My first game at the Garden was probably 82, 83, 84...somewhere around there. Bruins vs Buffalo...Mike Foligno, Lindy Ruff, and Gilbert Perreault! talk about a hockey flashback! When Foligno scored he used to jump and do a bunny hop...don't remember who won, just remember Foligno scored...

Me personally, I get the USA USA thing. As you all know, :), Americans are a proud bunch...and they should be. But on the other hand Canadians are proud too and that is still ok. We all have our good qualities and our not so good. I am not a big fan of either badmouthing the other.

I am however a big fan of team, obviously being a Patriots fan, and I like the 2011 version of the B's. How could you not? A great team. I just want Boston to not just say they left it all on the ice, but to actually leave it all on the ice. Play for each other, their town and their region, and BOTH countries. Represent.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back