PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The NY Times Solution to Fixing OT: Hold an Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.
A minor tweak (move the OT kickoff yardline) would almost eliminate the imbalance. I think that's the best solution, though even that isn't perfect either.

If you want to take the opening KO return out of the equation, simply legislate that the "receiving" team gets the ball at the 20 to start OT. Seems cleaner/better than moving the kickoff yardline to me.

If you want to take the opening KO return out of the equation, simply legislate that the "receiving" team gets the ball at the 20 to start OT. Seems cleaner/better than moving the kickoff yardline to me.
I wouldn't support that. It's a much bigger change than just moving the yardline, because it's a rule change which happens at no other time during the game. (And you can't claim moving the yardline is a also rule change without parallel, the yardline the ball is actually kicked off from can already vary from kickoff to kickoff due to penalties.) It removes some of the ability of teams to control their own destiny in OT by removing special teams entirely, and that to me changes the character of the game.

I agree with BB on all such matter:
Bill Belichick - Should the NFL change its overtime format?

This link doesn't have the full quote, but he makes the case that football is a game of clock management. As soon as you take the clock out of it (for instance, by alternating possessions or having sudden death) it becomes a different sport.

Personally, I'd rather see them play 5 minutes quarters until there is a winner.

Either of these would be fine with me. The NYT proposal is silly, and would definitely make it more of a gameshow. That'd be as ridiculous as having two guys chase a football to determine the kick-off...oh...

Or determining possession with a coinflip. How inane and gimmicky is that?

I wouldn't support that. It's a much bigger change than just moving the yardline, because it's a rule change which happens at no other time during the game. (And you can't claim moving the yardline is a also rule change without parallel, the yardline the ball is actually kicked off from can already vary from kickoff to kickoff due to penalties.) It removes some of the ability of teams to control their own destiny in OT by removing special teams entirely, and that to me changes the character of the game.

To me, changing the KO yardline is both a rule change (as is everything else proposed in this thread) AND just increases the randomness of whether the KO has any bearing on the outcome.

As it stands, the coin flip has a big role and the possibility of a big return is "adding insult to injury" in my mind. IMO a big return after moving the yardline would be rarely a case of a team "controlling its own destiny" and more likely to be just random good fortune.

In practice, there would be little difference, so we are really splitting hairs here.

Personally, I'd rather see them play 5 minutes quarters until there is a winner.

I like that idea, but I think you need a little more time. Too easy for a team to burn the clock ... 7 1/2 minutes is an odd amount of time but it seems more workable.

I agree with BB on all such matter:
Bill Belichick - Should the NFL change its overtime format?

This link doesn't have the full quote, but he makes the case that football is a game of clock management. As soon as you take the clock out of it (for instance, by alternating possessions or having sudden death) it becomes a different sport.

How about each team starts on the 25, gets 2:00 and 1 timeout. Both teams crap out? Tie game.

I'm not saying that's what it should be, but I think that would be fun as hell to watch.

Here's the answer:

First team to score wins, after each team has at least one possesion.

Easy, Peasy, Japaneesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye