PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The NFL might as well get rid of tampering rules already

Status
Not open for further replies.
The league tampering rules are a joke or at least enforcement of them are. This week alone, Tom Condon and Cliff Avril both admitted to tampering being prevalent in the NFL.

In Borges' piece yesterday, Condon said in terms of the Pats talking to him about a contract offer for Brandon Lloyd:

Brandon Lloyd’s agent puts Pats on call - BostonHerald.com

Except it is against the league's tampering rules for a team to discuss a player who is currently under contract with another team with an agent. Lloyd and all the 2012 free agents do not become free agents until two weeks after the combines and are still under contract.

Cliff Avril said on Sirius NFL radio the other day:

Lions' Cliff Avril: 'There's no such thing as a hometown discount' | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

This is a clear admission of teams tampering.

It is pretty bad when agents and players aren't even hiding the fact that teams tamper. It is the worst kept secret that teams tamper all the time, but it becomes a complete joke when agents and players don't even try to hide that they are breaking the rules.

I don't think the answer is to abolish them, I think the answer is to enforce them.
Players gain a tremendous advantage and teams are put at a big disadvantage by tampering. Look at BJGE for example. I'm sure the Patriots are trying to sign him to a cheap contract, and while he may well believe someone might offer more, the fact that he can go seek it before FA starts eliminates any advantage to be able to retain your own from season end to the start of FA.

No

However, I have a bit of paranoid concern that Commissioner Goodell will awake from his slumber and suddenly decide to make New England a focal point of enforcement

Haha. While I fear you may be right, I also think that if others are doing it, the Pats must be at the forefront. We have already shown a "win at all costs" mentality (nobody keeps things more protected or shares less info to avoid losing any competitive advantage, etc) so why would BB put his halo on and watch other teams tamper, leaving him at a disadvantage?
I would take "If everybody is doing it…why can't we?" approach.

Haha. While I fear you may be right, I also think that if others are doing it, the Pats must be at the forefront. We have already shown a "win at all costs" mentality (nobody keeps things more protected or shares less info to avoid losing any competitive advantage, etc) so why would BB put his halo on and watch other teams tamper, leaving him at a disadvantage?
I would take "If everybody is doing it…why can't we?" approach.

Yeah. That approach worked really well with the "everybody films DCs signals" thingy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down