PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The myth of Tony Ugoh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Colt obsession thread? I wonder if this one will hit 9 pages like the "Peytons a douche thread"

He had mighty fine blocking as the Colts ran woodshed all over the Pats that game. Too bad our cornerbacks had some kind of brain lapse the last few minutes of the game

Tony Yugo Ugoh is going to be a good tackle in this league for a long time. I respect the fact that you were able to obstain from the Peyton is a douche thread, that's like saying a rock is a rock. What exactly does ran woodshed mean.... Like takin to the woodshed or running roughshot over our defense, is it some sort of bastardization of the two, boy that's irony.

I think Colt fans are so defensive about Ugoh because they realize he has yet to truly prove himself, and their optimism about him is based on wishful thinking. Telling each other how wonderful Ugoh is alleviates the anxiety that (1) Ugoh isn't a quality blind side protector for PM and (2) Polian blew this year's #1 pick to draft him last season.

It's pretty clear they are worried about him. And they should be. Nobody wants to see one of the top 5 active Qbs seriously injured.
What more could he have done to "prove himself" in your eyes? It's you who are biased. You want so bad for him to be a bust that you label him one unjustly. It alleviates the anxiety that (1) Ugoh is a quality blind side protector to PM and (2) Polian hit on another draft pick.
It's pretty clear you're worried about him, and you should be. Nobody wants one of the top 5 active Qbs to be able to sit back with hours of time.

I think Colt fans are so defensive about Ugoh because they realize he has yet to truly prove himself, and their optimism about him is based on wishful thinking. Telling each other how wonderful Ugoh is alleviates the anxiety that (1) Ugoh isn't a quality blind side protector for PM and (2) Polian blew this year's #1 pick to draft him last season.

It's pretty clear they are worried about him. And they should be. Nobody wants to see one of the top 5 active Qbs seriously injured.

I'm not the one that started the thread about him. I'm not worried about him at all. I'm just here to try to balance out the bias against him.

I'm not the one that started the thread about him. I'm not worried about him at all. I'm just here to try to balance out the bias against him.
No bias. You want him to play. We want you to play him. Make everyone happy. Play him. At LT, I mean. He'd probably be a decent OG.

Talk about blindness. You think you have 53 Hall of Famers? One superbowl and you think all your players are elite.

Just admit it. It was a bad trade. You got Gonsalez, who I would have been happy to get had we not traded for Welker. Be happy with that.

Defensive is an understatement.

They seem desperate to convince themselves that Yugo is a top-fve elite LT.

We'll see this season with the AFCS loading up on pass rushers.

No bias. You want him to play. We want you to play him. Make everyone happy. Play him. At LT, I mean. He'd probably be a decent OG.

Talk about blindness. You think you have 53 Hall of Famers? One superbowl and you think all your players are elite.

Just admit it. It was a bad trade. You got Gonsalez, who I would have been happy to get had we not traded for Welker. Be happy with that.

What are you talking about? I never said great or elite. I have said he has done a fine job, especially for being a rookie. I think it was a good trade, even more so when you consider that Tarik Glenn retired a few weeks later. Had Polian not made that trade and drafted Ugoh, the Colts would have had no left tackle at all.

There are dozens of Colt related threads on this board which you ignore; but you chose to participate in this one for a reason. The reason is that you are very protective of Ugoh. It rankles you that anyone would have an objective opinion about him which differs from the Colt flavored Kool-aid being served to the masses.

Rather than trying to counterbalance the "bias" of my original post, you are attempting to inject your own bias into an otherwise objective anlaysis.

Ugoh has yet to show he can stay healthy; he hardly practiced, even when he did play, due to a litany of inujries including ankle, shoulder and neck; he gave Manning the jitters against quality pass rushers, understandable for a rookie, but still real, forcing PM to speed up his progressions and spray the ball uncharacteristically. He was schooled in the playoff game, a fact which escaped most people's attention due to various other meltdowns, which included the foolish decision to start Harrison and the total lack of pass rush. But the Colts still would have won that game if Ugoh had been able to protect PM's blind side in the 4th Q. He could not.

I realize the Pats have their own flaws, frequently discussed, bemoaned and dissected on this board. But an analytical Colt fan has to admit there are some significant questions regarding Ugoh, and the fact so many pundits are pretending he is already an elite player is silly.

There are dozens of Colt related threads on this board which you ignore; but you chose to participate in this one for a reason. The reason is that you are very protective of Ugoh. It rankles you that anyone would have an objective opinion about him which differs from the Colt flavored Kool-aid being served to the masses.

Rather than trying to counterbalance the "bias" of my original post, you are attempting to inject your own bias into an otherwise objective anlaysis.

Ugoh has yet to show he can stay healthy; he hardly practiced, even when he did play, due to a litany of inujries including ankle, shoulder and neck; he gave Manning the jitters against quality pass rushers, understandable for a rookie, but still real, forcing PM to speed up his progressions and spray the ball uncharacteristically. He was schooled in the playoff game, a fact which escaped most people's attention due to various other meltdowns, which included the foolish decision to start Harrison and the total lack of pass rush. But the Colts still would have won that game if Ugoh had been able to protect PM's blind side in the 4th Q. He could not.

I realize the Pats have their own flaws, frequently discussed, bemoaned and dissected on this board. But an analytical Colt fan has to admit there are some significant questions regarding Ugoh, and the fact so many pundits are pretending he is already an elite player is silly.
You're really really worried about him aren't you. It hurts you that the Colts get to have good things.

Wrong. There are 3 Colts related threads on the first three pages, I didn't look any further past that point. I have posted in all three threads. It doesn't rankle me for anything. I am just curious why you have this obsession with Ugoh.

What does that mean? You are calling me biased and I am calling you biased.

So what you are saying is that any player that is ever hurt or doesn't have a good game has to be a bust?

Heading into that draft I wasn't completely sure about Ugoh's ability to be one of the better OT's in the NFL, and thought he projected better to guard. I still have pretty much the same opinion, but I do believe he could be a decent/good tackle. I don't think he is (or will be) great at Tackle, and can't see why they're already comparing him to some of the better players at the position. He hasn't really shown us enough to start giving him that type of praise, and he had some problems in pass pro as a rookie. He also needs to prove he can be more durable.

Concerning the various "sources" who claim he would have been the second tackle off the board in the 2008 NFL Draft. That's laughable. Jake Long, Clady, Chris Williams (great pass blocker), and likely even Cherilus would have all been selected before him. Sorry, but this years class was stronger at OT.

I can't honestly say he "sucks" at this point though. He needs more time to prove himself, and it will likely take another season or two, before we know how good he is, or will be.

Last edited:
Had Polian not made that trade and drafted Ugoh, the Colts would have had no left tackle at all.
But the point is that he made the trade and they still don't have a left tackle.

What is the love affair with a guy who can't block in space?

I don't get it.

When Yugo leaves, you will not be crying the blues and lamenting the loss. You will say, "No problem. Losing Yugo won't affect our team at all. He was never that good."

Why wait? Admit it now. Because deep down you know it, and otherwise this thread will re-appear when Yogo's contract is (wisely) not renewed and you will have to eat your words.

But the point is that he made the trade and they still don't have a left tackle.

I don't get it.

When Yugo leaves, you will not be crying the blues and lamenting the loss. You will say, "No problem. Losing Yugo won't affect our team at all. He was never that good."

Why wait? Admit it now. Because deep down you know it, and otherwise this thread will re-appear when Yogo's contract is (wisely) not renewed and you will have to eat your words.
Nobody thinks this except you and other patriots homers, that is why no one admits to it.

Edit: And if I can ever track down the article that statistically showed Ugoh as one of the top 5 LT's in the league last year than Pony Express will feel like more of a douche homer than he already is.

What are you talking about? I never said great or elite.
When I said you, I was referring to all Colts trolls as a group, not any one individual.

Lazy of me, yes, but in my defense, there isn't that much difference in what you all post, and there isn't any need to differentiate among you.

When I said you, I was referring to all Colts trolls as a group, not any one individual.

Lazy of me, yes, but in my defense, there isn't that much difference in what you all post, and there isn't any need to differentiate among you.
You're saying he's a bust and not worth a pick. You know there is a middle ground in between elite pro bowl player and bust not worthy of a pick.

looked pretty damn good against Seymour/Colvin , as I recall. didn't give up one sack, had little help as the TE lined up mostly on the other side , and still opened up some gaping holes for Addai.

It would not surprise me if the same people downgrading Ugoh would be the first to make excuses for O line's pathetic showing in the SB, rate Maroney higher than Addai, and say that Seymour is still a premier DL in the league. :rolleyes:

Homerism at its finest

LOL, HAHAAHA.

Now, why haven't you replied?

I don't get it.

Just so I have this straight, let me make sure this is what you are saying. Because you state you opinion on Ugoh, it makes it fact, right? And you are also saying that between a player's rookie and second season you can fully assess a player's talent level?

You are wrong there. You may not care for me or the team I root for, but you can not call me a troll. I bring something to the table when I post. You may not agree with what I'm posting, but it's not trolling. I'm not running around posting a bunch of "you suck" "stfu" "Colts rock and the Pats suck" type of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back