PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The myth of Tony Ugoh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya'll are right. He sucks. Colts draft sucked, and pretty soon, your 3rd round QB will surpass PM. It's good to be the King, I guess.

Hey pi$$ boy, wait for the shake!

Last edited:
Here is an interesting quote from ProFW on the Colts '08 draft:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2008/teamgrades.htm

So I guess the praise for Mr. Ugoh is not universal.

Indianapolis
Having given up their first-round pick last year to land OLT Tony Ugoh detracted from the overall quality of this draft. Ugoh did start last season, but known competitiveness and durability concerns kept him from playing a good part of the season and leave the jury out on how good he will be.

So, 11 games started is a good part of the season??

Indianapolis
Having given up their first-round pick last year to land OLT Tony Ugoh detracted from the overall quality of this draft. Ugoh did start last season, but known competitiveness and durability concerns kept him from playing a good part of the season and leave the jury out on how good he will be.

So, 11 games started is a good part of the season??

It's almost a third of their games. Imagine a baseball player missing 50 games. It's sizeable, though I wouldn't exactly call it a "concern" per se. If it happened again this year, that's a different story.

It's almost a third of their games. Imagine a baseball player missing 50 games. It's sizeable, though I wouldn't exactly call it a "concern" per se. If it happened again this year, that's a different story.
True, and they lost 2 of the 5 he missed, so you could argue that his absence hurt the team.

4 of the 5 he missed were in consecutive weeks, and all the time lost was related to one injury. It's not as though he was "chronically injured" with a hang nail one week, and a belly ache the next. Fact also is that Dungy/Colts are known to be a bit cautious or conservative with guys coming off injury (right, wrong, true or false, that is the perception), and for me, I'd rather have a guy sit out an extra week in hopes of ensuring long term health.

It's not really a valid argument at this point, I wouldn't guess. If so, then you might want to start looking at Maroney in the same light. 6 games started out of 16 is not so good for a 2nd year first round RB.

If you take the time to actually read Pony's post, he makes a lot of good points. You don't need to agree with all of them (and I really don't either) but that doesn't mean they don't ring true. Ugoh did an admirable job considering he was a rookie under a lot of pressure. Despite that, he was far from a Joe Thomas level of production.

Manning's performance in 2007 was fairly uneven for him...still plenty good but not up to recent standards. There are a bunch of reasons for this including a variety of injuries to teammates (I also believe his skills showed a decline in 2007 but that is the subject for another thread). However, he was sacked and pressured more than I've seen in about the last 4-5 years...a good amount of that pressure from his blind side. Addai was also less effective in 2007. Again, many reasons for that but it was noticeable.

So if you stick to Pony's original point (that Ugoh is overrated as an elite LT), there is a good amount of evidence to support it. That doesn't mean he is a bad player and won't improve. Throwing out stats that are impossible to verify don't really add much to the conversation. 1.5 sacks allowed? How do you measure that? If he whiffs on a block and that forces Manning to step up into another defender's waiting arms, is that a sack allowed? 1 holding penalty? For the Colts that might have been the most penalized lineman in years.

Manning's performance was relatively uneven. Addai's productivity was down. Ugoh missed most of the big stretch of games where he was really needed. All of these are hard to dispute. Was Ugoh solely to blame for this? Hardly. Did Ugoh's level of play contribute to these results? Not sure how you could say otherwise.

looked pretty damn good against Seymour/Colvin , as I recall. didn't give up one sack, had little help as the TE lined up mostly on the other side , and still opened up some gaping holes for Addai.

It would not surprise me if the same people downgrading Ugoh would be the first to make excuses for O line's pathetic showing in the SB, rate Maroney higher than Addai, and say that Seymour is still a premier DL in the league. :rolleyes:

Homerism at its finest

looked pretty damn good against Seymour/Colvin , as I recall. didn't give up one sack, had little help as the TE lined up mostly on the other side , and still opened up some gaping holes for Addai.

It would not surprise me if the same people downgrading Ugoh would be the first to make excuses for O line's pathetic showing in the SB, rate Maroney higher than Addai, and say that Seymour is still a premier DL in the league. :rolleyes:

Homerism at its finest

Awesome analysis, considering Ugoh didn't play in the game vs the Pats. I'll just be kind and call you a clown.

Homerism at its finest

As Ugoh was inactive for the Patriots game, I believe your recollection leaves a little to be desired.

Careful, guys, Uncle Rico aka ALS (Artificial Lat Spread) might just d-cleat ya for such logic!

Last edited:
Well, since he didn't play that game it is technically true he didn't give up a sack. But if you're judging Indy's left side from that game alone, you should probably know that Charlie Johnson blows donkey balls.

He Didn't Play In That Game So Of Course He Didn't Give Up A Sack.

Also, I always thought the myth of tony ugoh was that he was a small imp that wore green clothes that left chocolates under the pillows of good boys and girls.

had little help as the TE lined up mostly on the other side , and still opened up some gaping holes for Addai.

While we are piling on, are you referring to the gaping holes on the left side where Addai ran for 12 yds on 7 attempts?

Homerism at its finest
I assume the last sentence is referring to your own post?

We aren't stupid. We can recognize talent. No one thinks Manning is a scrub, or Addai, or Harrison, or Wayne, or Gonsalez, or Clark, Staurday, Freeny, etc etc etc.

All good players.

But we also recognize crap when we see it, and if you have some Ferraris on your team, Yugo is still a Yugo.

Face it. Polian blew it. He drafted an OG who can't play LT in the pros. No one is 100%. Polian is going to muff his share. Would you rather have Matt Millen?

We aren't stupid. We can recognize talent. No one thinks Manning is a scrub, or Addai, or Harrison, or Wayne, or Gonsalez, or Clark, Staurday, Freeny, etc etc etc.

All good players.

But we also recognize crap when we see it, and if you have some Ferraris on your team, Yugo is still a Yugo.

Face it. Polian blew it. He drafted an OG who can't play LT in the pros. No one is 100%. Polian is going to muff his share. Would you rather have Matt Millen?
That remains to be seen about Ugoh.

Another Colt obsession thread? I wonder if this one will hit 9 pages like the "Peytons a douche thread"

He had mighty fine blocking as the Colts ran woodshed all over the Pats that game. Too bad our cornerbacks had some kind of brain lapse the last few minutes of the game

Last edited:

All good players.

How can you say that? He did a fine job playing left tackle as a rookie. No way that you can say that Polian blew it and Ugoh can only play guard.

Another Colt obsession thread? I wonder if this one will hit 9 pages like the "Peytons a douche thread"

He had mighty fine blocking as the Colts ran woodshed all over the Pats that game. Too bad our cornerbacks had some kind of brain lapse the last few minutes of the game
Another colts troll caught in a lie. It's at ten pages.

I think Colt fans are so defensive about Ugoh because they realize he has yet to truly prove himself, and their optimism about him is based on wishful thinking. Telling each other how wonderful Ugoh is alleviates the anxiety that (1) Ugoh isn't a quality blind side protector for PM and (2) Polian blew this year's #1 pick to draft him last season.

It's pretty clear they are worried about him. And they should be. Nobody wants to see one of the top 5 active Qbs seriously injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back