PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The Manning Era Over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I NEVER said he wouldn't be able to do that in Indy. However, I will say that I don't think it will happen in Indy should they decide to draft Luck. What's going on in Indy seems vastly different than what went down in GB, strictly from an outsiders perspective obviously. Again, that's just my own personal feeling.

Judging by these comments, I must've mis-understood then..

Your quote:

"That being the case, I feel that Manning WILL NOT stick around to be anybody's mentor. He wants to play and win. He wants to cement his legacy. He wants to increase his numbers. I don't blame him for any of that."

He won't be traded to the Jets. They have already sunk too much money into Sanchez.

Where I'm getting this from?

Peter King, NBC sports, Mike Florio and profootballtalk.com.

Here is one link:

Colts and Manning may both be open to pushing back option bonus | ProFootballTalk

Another point is that I doubt Jim Irsay would come out and say that he is drafting Luck, with Manning's situation still up in the air.

Why is so hard to think that Manning and Luck may be on the same team?

There are 2 arguments.
1) Luck as the #1 pick needs to play day 1. I don't agree necessarily, because he will be ready when he is ready, and there is no guarantee he will be NFL ready, nor that he will be a star. But with the trade value of the pick, taking him and sitting him for 2-3 bears a big opportunity cost.
2) Manning will not be happy that the #1 pick in the draft will be used in a way that can only help the team when he is gone. I don't know what he can really do about that other than continuing his professionally veiled means of getting his message out in the media through his rumpswabbers in the media, and parading Archie around to speak on the matter

Again, that's just my own personal feeling.

And that is certainly a very fair point, and I respect it very much.

I think we'll just have to wait and see, but I don't know if I believe that Manning is going anywhere just quite yet.

That's just my personal feeling about it too, and I am by no means trying to say that I am "right" and you are "wrong."

You may very well be correct. It will be an interesting situation, that's for sure.

Judging by these comments, I must've mis-understood then..

Your quote:

"That being the case, I feel that Manning WILL NOT stick around to be anybody's mentor. He wants to play and win. He wants to cement his legacy. He wants to increase his numbers. I don't blame him for any of that."

I think you did misunderstand, but that's because of the way I structured my paragraph. As someone who has written a lot of papers in school and continues to write today, I should have done better.

He won't be traded to the Jets. They have already sunk too much money into Sanchez.

I certainly think that is nothing more than a pipe dream from Jet fans. I doubt there is any possibility to that happening.

I think you did misunderstand, but that's because of the way I structured my paragraph. As someone who has written a lot of papers in school and continues to write today, I should have done better.

No biggie man, I don't mean to nit-pick about anything..

I don't understand the Luck hype, but I'm not a huge college football guy. In the few games of his I've watched, I saw a good decision maker that has a weak arm and a slow delivery. I couldn't fathom him ending Peyton Manning's era right away.

If Manning and Luck are both on the Colts, does Manning try to make Luck humble, possibly the old country way?

Dec 21st, 2012...we'll be hurtling into certain destruction over the event horizon of some massive black hole and the last thing we'll ever hear is a gaggle of chicken littles squawking up a storm over Peyton Manning and the Jets...the advent of the playoffs and THIS is a thread...WTF.....

There are 2 arguments.
1) Luck as the #1 pick needs to play day 1. I don't agree necessarily, because he will be ready when he is ready, and there is no guarantee he will be NFL ready, nor that he will be a star. But with the trade value of the pick, taking him and sitting him for 2-3 bears a big opportunity cost.
2) Manning will not be happy that the #1 pick in the draft will be used in a way that can only help the team when he is gone. I don't know what he can really do about that other than continuing his professionally veiled means of getting his message out in the media through his rumpswabbers in the media, and parading Archie around to speak on the matter

Well if you buy into the fact that Luck may have to spend a year or two getting accustomed to the NFL, (which is at least possible) then the 2nd argument comes into play of course.

In the 2nd argument you state that:

"Manning will not be happy that the #1 pick in the draft will be used in a way that can only help the team when he is gone."

Wouldn't that be true with any player that Indy would take? Wouldn't a RB, WR, LB, etc also be helping the team when Manning was gone?

I certainly understand what you're saying, and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but why would Manning really care if the team were successful when he was retired?

-------

So really, it simply comes down to the fact that some GM's/coaches may feel as though he "needs" to start day one, while others may take the road of having him be the QB of the future while getting accustomed to the NFL for a year or two.

In my opinion, it's all about your first option, and I see absolutely no need or pressure to necessarily start him from day one. He can flourish as the QB of the future, and be a much more productive player by learning from Manning for a couple of years.

Last edited:
Jets fans are wholly delusional, as always. And so is the NY media.

The Jets team, never too good to start with, was built to "Win Now" which unfortunately was 2009. Over the last two seasons they have lost more people to age and retirements hen they can replace, as the Win Now strategy is turning into facing a major rebuild after 2011.

They have weakened to 8-8 and will be lucky to go 5-11 next season, just through natural attrition. They have only 2 good offensive line starters, and nothing but three adequate scrubs as starting defensive lineman, to go with no Safeties, and a single RB, and zero WRs. Did I mention they have only one fair receiving TE, too.

Even with Manning, they can't make chicken salad from this pile of chicken feathers.

Peyton Manning would have to be totally stupid to even consider the Jets. Never mind the completely incompetent and dysfunctional F. O. and Coaching. Jet fans forget that Rex Ryan was the only Coach who would even talk to the Jets as their hopes for a big time Coach were dashed with utter derision. Nor is Manning stupid.

Miami with Peyton Manning is another kettle of fish. The Dolphins would be transformed into a contender. They actually have a good Defense and a reasonable offensive line and star WR & RBs. Its a warm weather city, where he can pad his stats. Too bad he would be in a division with Belichick and Brady.

Last edited:
Dec 21st, 2012...we'll be hurtling into certain destruction over the event horizon of some massive black hole and the last thing we'll ever hear is a gaggle of chicken littles squawking up a storm over Peyton Manning and the Jets...the advent of the playoffs and THIS is a thread...WTF.....

This planet-crushing black hole of which you speak..

Can it rush the passer?

no..it's defensive in nature..it will CRUSH the passer...into an infinitesimal speck

Where I'm getting this from?

Peter King, NBC sports, Mike Florio and profootballtalk.com.

Here is one link:

Colts and Manning may both be open to pushing back option bonus | ProFootballTalk

Another point is that I doubt Jim Irsay would come out and say that he is drafting Luck, with Manning's situation still up in the air.

Why is so hard to think that Manning and Luck may be on the same team?

Mediots have been "speculating" or "opining" that all along. The problem is it makes no sense...for Manning.

And it has nothing to do with having them both on the same team, which is a different argument. All that would be is costly (Irsay will be forking over $51M in bonus and salary to his starting QB and his backup...) and limiting as far as impact improvement via the draft...and that team needs improvement and Manning knows that. Not to mention awkward and not in Luck's best interest. He is going to want to start right away because the clock is already ticking on all his future contracts where he can make up the lost money from the new limits on rookie deals.

Well if you buy into the fact that Luck may have to spend a year or two getting accustomed to the NFL, (which is at least possible) then the 2nd argument comes into play of course.

In the 2nd argument you state that:

"Manning will not be happy that the #1 pick in the draft will be used in a way that can only help the team when he is gone."

Wouldn't that be true with any player that Indy would take? Wouldn't a RB, WR, LB, etc also be helping the team when Manning was gone?
You missed the ONLY. From Manning perspective they would use the #1 pick in the draft in a way that is useless to him,

I certainly understand what you're saying, and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but why would Manning really care if the team were successful when he was retired?
Its not about whether the pick helps them after he is gone, its that using the pick on a QB deprives him of help while he is there.

-------

So really, it simply comes down to the fact that some GM's/coaches may feel as though he "needs" to start day one, while others may take the road of having him be the QB of the future while getting accustomed to the NFL for a year or two.

In my opinion, it's all about your first option, and I see absolutely no need or pressure to necessarily start him from day one. He can flourish as the QB of the future, and he a much productive player by learning from Manning for a couple of years.
But the part you dismissed because you misunderstood is more critical.
Will the Colts alienate Manning and keep him as well?

I am not really supporting the argument, but just laying out what the argument is.

To really answer it you need to know how much authority Manning and his happiness has there, as well as whether he is even healthy.

You missed the ONLY. From Manning perspective they would use the #1 pick in the draft in a way that is useless to him,

Its not about whether the pick helps them after he is gone, its that using the pick on a QB deprives him of help while he is there.

-------

But the part you dismissed because you misunderstood is more critical.
Will the Colts alienate Manning and keep him as well?

I am not really supporting the argument, but just laying out what the argument is.

To really answer it you need to know how much authority Manning and his happiness has there, as well as whether he is even healthy.

I see what you're saying, Andy.

Apologies for missing a key word, and I get where you're coming from by saying that it will not help him while/if he's there, and it would only be for the future.

It will certainly be one of the NFL's leading stories in the off-season, and I can see it going both ways.

Mediots have been "speculating" or "opining" that all along. The problem is it makes no sense...for Manning.

And it has nothing to do with having them both on the same team, which is a different argument. All that would be is costly (Irsay will be forking over $51M in bonus and salary to his starting QB and his backup...) and limiting as far as impact improvement via the draft...and that team needs improvement and Manning knows that. Not to mention awkward and not in Luck's best interest. He is going to want to start right away because the clock is already ticking on all his future contracts where he can make up the lost money from the new limits on rookie deals.

So do you think that the Colts refuse to pay the bonus--thus making Manning a free agent, or do you feel as though the Colts will retain Manning and trade the pick then?

I see what you're saying, Andy.

Apologies for missing a key word, and I get where you're coming from by saying that it will not help him while/if he's there, and it would only be for the future.

It will certainly be one of the NFL's leading stories in the off-season, and I can see it going both ways.

Yeah, I don't have a good feel for which way it will go. I was laying out the argument more than I was endorsing them. You just don't know the answers unless you understand the relationship and how Irsay values Manning's legacy and feelings vs the health of the franchise.

if Manning can play the only way he's not a colt is if he will not take a pay cut and im sure he will the colts will workout a new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back