PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The Horrid Blake Bortles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this on Twitter.

Oakland and Jacksonville were two teams talked about a ton during the off season. Hyped up. And for good reason. Both have incredible talent but obviously Oakland has Carr.

Jacksonville isn't far off. Its a shame.

Basically after all this time the GM (Cladwell) and Head Coach (Bradley) aren't working "together" in terms of the finished product on the field.

I have no idea if there's tension or not. They could be best friends. The plan, blueprint, w/e you want to call it, isn't coming there on the field.

Their best served to lose out. Play with 10 guys if you have to and land the best pick you can get. Pray you land Garrett or Allen and at least you'll have a ridiculous amount of talent to work with.

I saw this on Twitter.

Oakland and Jacksonville were two teams talked about a ton during the off season. Hyped up. And for good reason. Both have incredible talent but obviously Oakland has Carr.

Jacksonville isn't far off. Its a shame.

Basically after all this time the GM (Cladwell) and Head Coach (Bradley) aren't working "together" in terms of the finished product on the field.

I have no idea if there's tension or not. They could be best friends. The plan, blueprint, w/e you want to call it, isn't coming there on the field.

Their best served to lose out. Play with 10 guys if you have to and land the best pick you can get. Pray you land Garrett or Allen and at least you'll have a ridiculous amount of talent to work with.

Why not trade for Jimmy G?

There are rumors down here of mutual interest in Tom Coughlin coming back to coach the Jags after they fire Bradley this offseason. I live in Jax Beach and, supposedly, Bortles is out at the beach bars (Jax Beach has a strip of bars) even on Friday nights before game day and throughout most of the week. The guy likes to party and it a shows up in games.

There are rumors down here of mutual interest in Tom Coughlin coming back to coach the Jags after they fire Bradley this offseason. I live in Jax Beach and, supposedly, Bortles is out at the beach bars (Jax Beach has a strip of bars) even on Friday nights before game day and throughout most of the week. The guy likes to party and it a shows up in games.
Sounds like a classy situation all around.

Sounds like a classy situation all around.

I used to party at the beach bars throughout my 20's and, in his defense, the quality of the tail at those bars is outstanding. However, you can see how much he parties just by looking at his stat line. While guys like Brady are going to bed early, staying young (Brady looks younger than Bortles), taking care of their bodies, and watching film, Bortles is going out and slugging down 10+ beers. Shame because the kid has all the natural talent in the world but it just goes to show you that talent alone doesn't take you very far in this league. You have to put the necessary work in. Bortles hasn't been willing to do that thus far and the result is that a very talented team on both sides of the ball only has two wins even though they have been in most of their games going into the 4th quarter. That's on coaching and squarely on him. It makes me wonder if Coughlin would keep him around should those rumors pan out.

I wasn't able to see the Den-Jax game here, just the 12-minute highlights On Demand; but from what I was able to see, Bortles is simply terrible. I had hoped that he would progress while Tannyhill regressed,
but unfortunately it appears that the opposite has happened. The man simply has not nearly enough field awareness to succeed in the league.

They are definitely the 76ers of the NFL.

and for some reason I picked Bortles to QB my fantasy team this year, and when it was obvious he wasn't the answer, I traded for Russel Wilson who went 3 straight games without throwing a TD. Might explain why I missed the playoffs

He's regressed, which is unfortunate for him in his "time to prove it" stage. However, there have been so many questionable decisions by Bradley that the entire fan base is in evacuation mode. They knew the Jags would compete, and they are pissed that they haven't. I can't blame them, but the one thing I do give the Jags fans credit for, is that they want to prove that they deserve a franchise. I like the idea of getting Caughlin to come in, at least he could show them top to bottom how to build, and he'd get some good coaches in their that might stay for the long term.
Shad's got the right idea, he just doesn't know how to find a guy that can build a franchise from the ground up. I think a guy like Lombardi combined with Caughlin would do wonders for this franchise.

As a long time up close observer of this franchise, the worse thing I've ever seen is how the entire fanbase booed the Jags at home (Caughlin specifically) for their first game at home (Monday night), because they started 0-2. This was after they went to the AFC Championship the year before.

I'd be curious to see how well Caughlin is regarded this time around. Training camp didn't go over so well the first time he came aboard. My Father In Law still has a Camp Caughlin shirt from the first training camp the team ever had. South vs. North was Coughlin's undoing as Weaver catered to the fanbase, rather than stick with an eventual winner.

Bortles has been terrible for 3 years. The supposed jump he was allegedly primed to make was the result of inflated numbers from chucking the ball in the 4th quarters of blowouts.

Blake "the garbageman" Bortles. Jacksonville would be best served moving on now, maybe Chip Kelly will toss out a 1st rounder for him.

Bortles does not know how to read defenses and gets locked on to receivers.

Every defense loves playing a qb like that.

Two things i have to say:
1) For 95% of QBs sitting behind the starter and learning the offense is extremely important
-a lot of college systems are very basic and the playbook is bare compared to the NFL
-it's the toughest position to judge so just because you drafted them high doesn't mean they are starting NFL QBs

2) Bortles has a very slow delivery. I don't think he's dumb, but with his slow throwing motion he becomes very readable.
-he looks more like a decent backup than a starting QB

Why not trade for Jimmy G?

It actually makes perfect sense for them. Jacksonville doesn’t "need" any more elite talent. What they need is an identity, purpose, direction. Definitely a change at the top in terms of coaching and Gm.

Although the thought of Garrett on that defense is just downright scary. He's not the twitchy freak like Miller or Mack but absolutely has just as much if not more talent. One of the ten best players I've ever evaluated (8 years )

sounds like a certain former browns qb...

BB allegedly wanted him more than Jimmy, but it's hard to fault him for that even if it's true because Jacksonville tends to ruin players.

I used to party at the beach bars throughout my 20's and, in his defense, the quality of the tail at those bars is outstanding. However, you can see how much he parties just by looking at his stat line. While guys like Brady are going to bed early, staying young (Brady looks younger than Bortles), taking care of their bodies, and watching film, Bortles is going out and slugging down 10+ beers. Shame because the kid has all the natural talent in the world but it just goes to show you that talent alone doesn't take you very far in this league. You have to put the necessary work in. Bortles hasn't been willing to do that thus far and the result is that a very talented team on both sides of the ball only has two wins even though they have been in most of their games going into the 4th quarter. That's on coaching and squarely on him. It makes me wonder if Coughlin would keep him around should those rumors pan out.

This doesn't look like a 24 year old to you?

NPCTAFa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back