PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT The Ghosts of Braylon Edwards and Jericho Cotchery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, although Smith had 23 receptions for ~170 yards combined over his last three seasons with the Jets, so I wouldn't oversell his capabilities as a receiver too much.

I know FTW but having that WR who plays "occasionally" at the WR position a/the BOTTOM of the Depth Chart guy. Joe Smoe what has he done in the Running Game?

I agree Smith's #'s are not flashy at WR, but I do raise the notion that per plays for each player (not KR or PR but for their WR and RB position) Smith has made better onfield catches/plays than the Joe Smoe McKnight .

Last edited:
Yeah, having "three number one receivers" is working beautifully, isn't it? Cotchery was always a Patriot killer and Edwards had his moments. Plax had a couple of bad drops yesterday (Pats really should say "thanks") and Mason is proving to be too much of a douche for even the Jets .. Which is saying a lot. They are lucky they have Holmes, who might be the last clutch player that offense has.

As for Brad Smith, I still believe he was the Jets' MVP last year and, as good as McKnight has been in the return game, there's a dimension missing from the offense without Smith (see TD v the Egos yesterday). In my view, Sanchez is at his best when he's doing that Pennington-esque misdirection stuff, and he could do a lot more with Smith.

Basically, Rex & Co. get an "F" in chemistry this year.

Hey All. New to the forum, but you made a great point about Cotchery. When the Jets let him go at the start of the season, I thought that move would come back to bite them the most. I remember he converted a key 3rd down catch that basically put the playoff game away. He was basically their Deion Branch, (not great, but clutch for that team) Buffalo is already seeing the benefits of Brad Smith. Not having those targets definitely made things easier on the Pats D. That's the most troubling thing about that game, because had the Jets played more responsibly and attacked the secondary more it could have been a different game.

I still can't lie, I wouldn't mind having someone with Holmes' skill set on the Patriots. I love the guys we have, but there is no denying that Holmes is very gifted physically. With that said, he and his inflated ego would never work out on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes