PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - The Future of Tony Romo

Status
Not open for further replies.

CISGS

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Figured I would start a thread on this, since it actually is a very interesting topic. I know plenty of people are down on Romo (I am not one of them) but his future is pretty interesting since there are so many possibilities.

This could potentially affect us (say Romo is traded to Denver), only because Romo is clearly an upgrade over what they have had at QB the last 2 years (Manning was 1/2 dead last year and Siemian is a bum).

What do you all think happens with Romo?

Backup in Dallas?
Starter in Dallas?
Traded before the deadline?
Traded after the season?

Last edited:
Keep him on the bench until Prescott goes bad. Remember drew in 01. good thing we had him

I honestly think that if Dallas is serious about trying to get to a Super Bowl, in what I consider a weak NFC (I have no idea why people think the NFC is "loaded") then they have to start Romo.

I could see Denver next season.

I honestly think that if Dallas is serious about trying to get to a Super Bowl, in what I consider a weak NFC (I have no idea why people think the NFC is "loaded") then they have to start Romo.
Really? Why if he keeps winning and not throwing picks? Romo never went past Divisional round his entire career. By that logic we should have brought Bledsoe back in 2001. Brady was only 5-3 when Bledsoe came back. And Tom did not light it up in 2001, he just was winning. And in comparison Bledsoe had at least led a team to one SB. I have to disagree with this.

Here's some info on the cap charges:
Dallas Cowboys Salary Cap - Over the Cap

Dallas is already $8.5M over the cap for 2017. If they trade him after the 2016 season, they'll gain only $5.1M in cap space. They could possibly gain another $8.9M after June 1 by deferring that portion of his dead cap hit into 2018. But that won't help them during the 2017 off-season (free agency time period) because the $8.9M will count against them until June 1.

So the cap benefits of trading Romo before the 2017 season are relatively small, but they wouldn't have a crippling dead money hit either compared with what they were scheduled to pay him.

Really? Why if he keeps winning and not throwing picks? Romo never went past Divisional round his entire career. By that logic we should have brought Bledsoe back in 2001. Brady was only 5-3 when Bledsoe came back. And Tom did not light it up in 2001, he just was winning. And in comparison Bledsoe had at least led a team to one SB. I have to disagree with this.

I don't blame anyone at all for feeling that way. I think Brady and Bledsoe is an anomaly. I don't see Dak and Romo in that light at all.

I think you have an obvious point that I should clarify my stance on. IF Dak keeps winning, then of course he should start. I just don't believe that he will. I believe they will lose to Philadelphia and he will be exposed since he know has some film (just my opinion and I could be totally wrong).

Their next 6 games are:

vs. PHI
@ CLE
@ PIT (if Ben plays, they will lose)
vs. BAL
vs. WAS
@MIN

If Dak starts all of those games, then I think they go 2-4. I know nothing backs up my opinion on this (Dak has looked good so far) but I just have a hunch that the wheels come off. I believe his consistency is not indicative of what he will be.

Not me. Romo has been part of most of the epic collapses. You can't trust him to make a good decision when the game is on the line. Dak is the present and the future. Cowboys should keep Romo just in case and it also allows the pressure to be off Dak.

Not me. Romo has been part of most of the epic collapses. You can't trust him to make a good decision when the game is on the line. Dak is the present and the future. Cowboys should keep Romo just in case and it also allows the pressure to be off Dak.

He has had some head scratchers for sure.

His last playoff action though was in the NFC Divisional Game in a cold Lambeau and he threw 4 incompletions, with a 143.6 Passer Rating, 2 TDs and no Turnovers.

And he did his part with throwing a perfect ball to Dez, that he obviously dropped when he hit the ground. Otherwise, he would've made the NFC Championship Game and we don't know what would have happened.

Dallas needed a succession plan for Romo for at least 2 years and they kind of found that by accident, the idea was to use a 1st round pick and there was even talks about RG3 and Manziel some point in the past.

Whatever the method was, they found a good QB, young and in a rookie contract. Romo is broken down, can't handle a tackle, I would trade him before the trade deadline, it's Dak team now and if they start Romo they will ruin the momentum.

Normally I'd say this idea makes no sense, but the Dallas Cowboys will be a complete circus with both quarterbacks healthy. That is probably the most frenzied media market of all the teams.

I believe Romo is 15-3 in his last 18 starts. This is a real quarterback controversy and a difficult decision. I'm sure Jerry Jones will make the wrong decision, whatever that is.

Normally I'd say this idea makes no sense, but the Dallas Cowboys will be a complete circus with both quarterbacks healthy. That is probably the most frenzied media market of all the teams.

I believe Romo is 15-3 in his last 18 starts. This is a real quarterback controversy and a difficult decision. I'm sure Jerry Jones will make the wrong decision, whatever that is.

Hahahhahahaha I love this.

That assumes Dak is the next Brady. But there are obvious parallels and I think they would be crazy not to stick with Dak and give him all the support they gave Romo when he replaced Drew. Gotta see what the kid has in him even if it pisses off Romo to the point he demanded a trade.

Not really recently. Defense blew it last couple of years. Romo was a problem first couple of years, since then he's been very good.

WAY too early to assess the potential of Dak Prescott. Currently he is in a specialized offense made for him to succeed on offense. It bears NO similarity to what, say for example, is done here. They have a great OL and what seems to be an elite RB, and, to the kid's credit, he's executed it beautifully. HOWEVER......

This is still the NFL, regardless of what Goodell tries to do to it, and cool new offenses are figured out sooner rather than later. Pretty soon what Dallas does will be figured out and Prescott will NOT have the experience to counter it.

I've said it before, what's happening in Dallas is really pretty cool, but to me the REAL story is what that no name Dallas defense has been able to accomplish is the real story. But when teams begin to slow down that Dallas run game, and the defense has to play more snaps, it could also change in a hurry.

In the meantime, I believe that Romo is the best QB on the Dallas roster. That 15-3 record in his last 18 games is telling, ESPECIALLY when it was accomplished when HE was the main focus of the offense. I can understand the sentiment in Dallas to keep Prescott in the starting role. There were more than a few right here who were questioning giving Tom back his job after just 6 quarters of JG's play. let alone 6 games for Dak.

To me, with Romo's issues are in staying healthy, the Cowboys best option would probably keep Prescott in for the immediate future (IIRC- Romo can't come back for a few weeks anyway), and let him go until he hits that inevitable wall and THEN make the change. The fewer games Romo is exposed to injury the more likely he'll be healthy when the playoffs come.

Prescott is clearly Dallas' future at the QB position. After this season, Romo COULD become excellent trade bait for a future is now team like Denver. At first I was worried about having Romo being in the trade market might lower interest in JG and depress his price. But on second thought, people who want JG are looking for a long term QB solution to build a team around. Teams that would be interested in Romo are already good and are looking for a short term fix. It's a completely different market.

Romo is interesting for those looking to trade Jimmy as he probably hurts his market and will set it most likely
I don't think so, Bob. Like I said in my post. Romo and JG, would appeal to different markets. What team who is looking for a QB for the long haul, would heavily invest in a QB like Romo, especially with his injury issues.

Jets will give up 3 first rounders for him in the offseason and then he'll get put on IR during training camp

First day stuff here

DAL needs to ride Dak till he falters, if/when that happens. From what I see from the film, his mobility is a huge asset especially with their strong offensive line and running game. That's something Romo just doesn't have in his game at this point in his career. It's better to stay with the hot hand, and give Romo all the time he needs to heal.

They should keep Romo on the same trajectory he is on now, and if/when he's healthy enough to play and presuming Dak is still playing strong, tell Romo he's got a guaranteed spot this season and next and to keep getting healthier and be ready when he's needed.

Trading him seems to be mistake with respect to the salary cap. Think of it this way, if things go on their current trajectory, DAL will have two starting caliber QBs, one highly paid and one not. If Romo ends up being a highly paid backup for this season and next whilst Dak stays on the rookie contract, DAL is getting a great deal.

WAY too early to assess the potential of Dak Prescott. Currently he is in a specialized offense made for him to succeed on offense. It bears NO similarity to what, say for example, is done here. They have a great OL and what seems to be an elite RB, and, to the kid's credit, he's executed it beautifully.

My read is that Dak and his mobility are a better fit for this offense than is Tony and his non-mobility. He's got that Cam / Russel mobility thing that defenses find hard to deal with, especially when this is combined with a good running back like Zeke Elliot. Add with it that he seems to have no issues hitting Witten when needed it's a tough match for the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back