PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT- The bad business of baseball....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using that same 2009 year, the Patriots average ticket cost $117.84. Average attendance was 68,756, for a total of $8,102,207.04, *8 home games = $64,817,656.32 in ticket revenues, while the salary cap number was $127,000,000. So, the Red Sox ticket revenue basically covers player payroll, while the Patriots ticket revenue covered about half of player payroll.

Unlike MLB the NFL splits the gate receipts 60-40 between home and visiting teams. So ticket revenues fluctuate depending on the schedule... And since 2006 the NFL further splits that revenue (and every other revenue stream) roughly 60/40 between players and owners...

Unlike MLB the NFL splits the gate receipts 60-40 between home and visiting teams. So ticket revenues fluctuate depending on the schedule... And since 2006 the NFL further splits that revenue (and every other revenue stream) roughly 60/40 between players and owners...

Guess that's why Oakland,Tampa, and St Louis love to see Dallas,Washington and the NYGiants on their schedule.

I know how it works, and the 60/40 player/owner split is of total revenues (minus the initial offset), not ticket revenues. Ken was using just ticket revenue for the baseball monies, so I put the Patriots ticket revenue in for comparison, since they're same market and both are near the top in their respective leagues.

In neither case were were deducting anything. It's just raw revenue totals.

Last edited:
with MLB teams have a choice to spend as much or as little as they want the yanks payroll is all most 200 million the soxs 160 million, Tampa Bay Rays have the second lowest payroll in MLB at just under 42 million and they are only 3 games out of first place. do the yanks and soxs need to spend 150 million more then the Rays just to be up by three more games ? i dont know but thats there choice

with MLB teams have a choice to spend as much or as little as they want the yanks payroll is all most 200 million the soxs 160 million, Tampa Bay Rays have the second lowest payroll in MLB at just under 42 million and they are only 3 games out of first place. do the yanks and soxs need to spend 150 million more then the Rays just to be up by three more games ? i dont know but thats there choice
But that is an anomoly because Tampa build a great farm system with all those high picks, so their 42 mill payroll represents a lot of players, early in their career being paid less than their ability indicates.
It cannot continue.
If the Rays entire team were free agents, their combined salaries for the next year would be way, way, way more than 42mil. The Rays either need to drastically increase their payroll budget over the next few years, or they will become just like the Pirates.....AGAIN.

But that is an anomoly because Tampa build a great farm system with all those high picks, so their 42 mill payroll represents a lot of players, early in their career being paid less than their ability indicates.
It cannot continue.
If the Rays entire team were free agents, their combined salaries for the next year would be way, way, way more than 42mil. The Rays either need to drastically increase their payroll budget over the next few years, or they will become just like the Pirates.....AGAIN.
No doubt. You only have to look at the deals the Rays free agents or trade options pick up once moved on from Tampa. For instance Evan Longoria is on a 6 year 17.5 million dollar contract. Put him in a big market team and you may as well add a zero in there.

Last edited:
No doubt. You only have to look at the deals the Rays free agents or trade options pick up once moved on from Tampa. For instance Evan Longoria is on a 6 year 17.5 million dollar contract. Put him in a big market team and you may as well add a zero in there.

I think Carl Crawford is exhibit A for this.
Thank God the Sox are one of the "haves" as cheering for a baseball "have-not" must be a depressive experience.
Spending $51M just for the right to negotiate with Dice-K...jeez.

:bricks: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

I think Carl Crawford is exhibit A for this.
Thank God the Sox are one of the "haves" as cheering for a baseball "have-not" must be a depressive experience.
Spending $51M just for the right to negotiate with Dice-K...jeez.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

It cannot continue.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

Last edited:
Speaking of making $...The Krafts will be making a little bit more on beer sales if the NFL has a season - I went to the USA v Spain game at Gillette and they jacked up the price of a beer from $7.50 to $8.00 :eek:

The price of beer has not gone up in bars, packies, or anywhere else...just in Mr. kraft's neighborhood :(

Last edited:
I have MLB Extra Innings, watch any Rays home game not against the Red Sox/Yankees and they are lucky (even when they were in first place) to have 10,000 people there. I've been to about three Sox games at "The Trop" and I might as well have been in Fenway. I think the Sox to Rays fans ratio was about 3 to 1. The Rays only stay in business because they are guarenteed 18 full houses when the Sox and/or Yankees come to town.

I have MLB Extra Innings, watch any Rays home game not against the Red Sox/Yankees and they are lucky (even when they were in first place) to have 10,000 people there. I've been to about three Sox games at "The Trop" and I might as well have been in Fenway. I think the Sox to Rays fans ratio was about 3 to 1. The Rays only stay in business because they are guarenteed 18 full houses when the Sox and/or Yankees come to town.

:bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

Speaking of making $...The Krafts will be making a little bit more on beer sales if the NFL has a season - I went to the USA v Spain game at Gillette and they jacked up the price of a beer from $7.50 to $8.00 :eek:

The price of beer has not gone up in bars, packies, or anywhere else...just in Mr. kraft's neighborhood :(

It's a special imported "soccer to em" beer :D

JH is a FINE businessman... all of his other ventures will accumulate so much more $$$ into his MIGHTY trough:cool:

:rofl:There is just enough football in this thread that it qualifies to stay on the main forum IMVHO. However if another mod feels differently, please send it away.

Until that time, I will join Tunescribe in going zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:bricks:.

:(
sometimes it hurts having to be impartial.

:rofl:There is just enough football in this thread that it qualifies to stay on the main forum IMVHO. However if another mod feels differently, please send it away.

Until that time, I will join Tunescribe in going zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:bricks:.

:(
sometimes it hurts having to be impartial.

Today is June 6, and there are still threads on the first page of the main board with the last posts being in May. At this point in time, given that reality and the fact of the lack of new football stuff to talk about, I'd think any thread that generates traffic should qualify to stay on the main forum.

Today is June 6, and there are still threads on the first page of the main board with the last posts being in May. At this point in time, given that reality and the fact of the lack of new football stuff to talk about, I'd think any thread that generates traffic should qualify to stay on the main forum.

As long as it has relevence to football. OT threads have been discussed with Ian and the other mods and the full consensus was it had to be football related.

Now I think someones family trip to Storyland could be more interesting than some of the football related topics this time of year. But unless the trip to Storyland was with, say, Danny Woodhead, then it belongs on another forum.

Last edited:
Here's a Forbes analysis of the Red Sox for 2009:

#3 Boston Red Sox - Forbes.com

According to the 2009 analysis, the Red Sox pocketed +80m in profits even after player salaries and operating expenses. It explains why they are one of the most successful teams in baseball. It's all about the money, especially in an uncapped sport. Which is still ridiculous imo.

BTW Making the postseason increases profits for the team undoubtedly because they can charge a lot more money for playoff tickets, but it's just a small bump/bonus compared to the overall season ticket sales. Making the postseason undoubtedly makes a team more profitable but it shouldn't be a make or break difference unless they are teetering on the edge financially. And that is certainly NOT the case for the Red Sox.

According to the 2009 analysis, the Red Sox pocketed +80m in profits even after player salaries and operating expenses.

VJC, for those of us less knowledgeable, could you please point out where in the link enclosed you derived that $80MM figure. The most I could see in 2009 was $26MM.

BTW- Toonscribe - The first time you posted on this thread you were offering a legitimate opinion, the next couple of times you came off as being a wisea$$, but that's OK, because most of us here would qualify for that appellation from time to time.;) THEN your next few times it started to become boorish....and by this page you are just being an *********.

We get it. YOU don't think this thread should be in this forum.....and YOU'VE said so through at least 5 separate posts. YOU don't like this thread. Yet YOU have been responsible for 14% of the posts. When I don't like a thread, I do something more radical. I DON'T READ IT. :rolleyes: Try it, really, it works.

.....and I apologize in advance for the "*********" reference. I generally value your contributions....even this on this thread....but FIVE times?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back