Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT - Texas A&M screwed

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Oswlek, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I know this has nothing to do with football, or the Patriots. I just thought that some might have watched this as well.

I don't know if anyone here watched that game last night, but A&M was royally hosed in the final minutes. For those that missed it, here is what happened:

* With about 5 minutes left and Texas A&M leading by two, an A&M player had a breakaway. As he was going in for the layup (using his right hand) a Memphis player clearly hit the Aggie solidly over his left neck and shoulder with his upper right arm (while going for the ball). It was a clean foul, but it was obviously a foul. There can be no discussion about this. No foul was called.

* After a barrage of last second missed Memphis shots and offensive rebounds, a chicken **** foul is called on an Aggie. It was a desperation "rebound and quick flip" by the Memphis player that never had a chance in hell of going in. In the replay, there was clearly some contact (the Aggie used his elbow too much in vying for position) but it was nothing different than about 50% of all rebounds. It gave Memphis two free throws, down one, on likely the last play possible.

* After the Memphis player made the two free throws (with A&M having no TOs) the inbounding player made a mistake and tossed it to an unsuspecting teammate. The guy let the ball go by, but luckily, it was touched by a Memphis player about three feet before going out of bounds. Now, fouls are one thing, but this was the worst. I have watched games where players supposedly had time to catch a pass, set their feet and shoot the ball - all in less than a second. In some cases, less than half of a second. Considering this, how much time do tyou think should be run off if a ball that is travelling quickly towards the sideline is touched by a player three feet before hitting the ground out of bounds? .2 seconds? .4 seconds? .6 tops, right?

Try 1.1 seconds. Somehow, a ball that was travelling at least 10 mph (which breaks down into ~ 15 feet per second) needed 1.1 seconds to go 3 feet. 1.1 seconds may not seem like a lot, but when there were only 3.1 seconds to begin with, that was difference between getting a clean shot off and throwing up a running prayer.

I was so disgusted that I refused to watch another minute of basketball, and I don't believe that I will any time soon, either.

Was I the only one that outraged?
  2. Peter Pat

Peter Pat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I guess you had A&M in your bracket.
  3. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

No bracket. I just call 'em like I see 'em.
  4. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I heard there was a lot of controversial stuff at the end of that game, but didn't watch it. Thanks for the recap. Bummer for A & M.
  5. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

They may have gotten screwed, but the fact of the matter was they didn't hit their free throws and therefore they lost a 1 point game
  6. 2_LAW_4

2_LAW_4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought it was total crap aswell. First off, the ref's had to rely on cbs' replays (if you noticed, everytime they showed the refs looking at the t.v. you could see their backs as the screen shot).

Number two, they had to use a stop watch to account the amount of time elapsed - which is kind of unrealistic considering the circumstances (little time it took for the ball to get out of bounds). By the time they start and click to stop the clock, sure 1.1 seconds would've ran off, but it should've been somewhere between, .2 to .4 seconds. I wanted to see an upset.
  7. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I don't think the .9 seconds they got screwed out of would have made a difference.

Memphis won the game, Texas A&M lost it. Period.
  8. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

No, I thought it was awful, too. I didn't do a bracket this year either, so I couldn't care one way or another, but the refs were awful down the stretch. I don't see how you can call that "foul" with 3 seconds left if you just swallowed the whistle a few plays earlier on that breakaway layup. All I ask of a ref down the stretch is to be consistent - if they're going to swallow the whistle, I'm OK with that - if they're going to call ticky-tack, I'm OK with that. But you have to be consistent.

The refs choked, basically.
  9. psychoPat

psychoPat Role Player PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

As a leading cynic about NFL officiating,
    i've been delighted to notice how good - meaning restrained, consistent, and accurate -
    the NCAA Tournament refing has been.

Until this regrettable exception.

I was in LV for last Thursday thru Sunday's games, and i can attest
    that there is A LOT of action on this tournament.
  10. Crowpointer

Crowpointer Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

:agree: They're a football school anyway so they'll get over it (Yes I had Memphis in my bracket ;) )
  11. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The idiots calling the game never figured it out, but the ball didn't hit the line after it was tipped, it bounced in the court of play and bounded up in the air before landing in a spectator's hands. The ball was traveling very slowly because it had been tipped by the Memphis defender. It really did take more that a few tenths of a second to land in the spectator's arm. It may not have taken more than a second, but it was pretty close. I wanted Texas A&M to win but was not upset after they showed the replay indicating that the ball didn't hit the line.
  12. JoePats

JoePats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

A&M (and I had them in the final game) has nothing to complain about. They had 4 chances to grab a rebound and end the game and couldn't do it. They were playing basically a home game, and if the guy on Memphis didn't touch the ball, it was going straight out of bounds. They were lucky to even get the ball back at all. And their best player missed a layup in the final 30 seconds.
  13. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

This is exactly right. It was on the second bounce that the ball went out of bounds.
  14. Number Cruncher

Number Cruncher PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

DING, DING, DING....

I wanted A&M (I did have them in my bracket), but 1.1 seconds wasn't a bad call.... Now the chicken**** foul that won the game.... suckitude...
  15. jbb9s

jbb9s Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Texas A&M's star Law missed a layup with a minute left. If they got the 2, they probably win. They should only blame themselves.
  16. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

true, he shouldve def made that shot
    i was very angry about the hole thing though
    yes i did have them in my bracket
  17. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Law was definitely bumped on that shot and even though it was minimal contact, even the slightest contact on a breakaway has a good chance of causing a miss - it's the reason why you see fouls called so often on breakaways.

They have to call that foul, especially if they're going to turn around and call that ticky-tack with 3 seconds left on the other end.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2007