OT: Texans to release Hoyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Source: Texans tell Hoyer they will be cutting QB

Kind of ****ty to cut him so late in the off-season. He could have been an option in Denver. Could have possibly even been in play for the Rams before the mega trade.

May be an option for the Jets if they can't sign Fitzpatrick.

I like Hoyer as a person, but after his performance in the playoff game this past season, I wouldn't touch him. Hope the Jets do, though.

Hoyer proved in the past few years that he can pass, but he can't think and process all the information in front of him when the game is on the line. His decision making is awful. He was also a victim of some political game / bad coaching in the NFL when he was benched in Cleveland over no bad performance, just because they wanted Manziel to start and then in Houston playing for the worst coach in the NFL, BoB, that took him off the field when he shouldn't and kept him on the field when he shouldn't either.

Anyway, that's how the backstages work in many business, he didn't do enough to become bullet proof. At this point I think he is toast. Too many concussions as well. If we were to trade JG I would go for Mallet before Hoyer to be the backup QB.

Hoyer's better out of the bullpen than he is as a starter, altho his stats weren't bad last year (except for the playoffs... shudder...)

That said, Hoyer would be a good fit for the Jets. And he could still be an option in Denver. Their starting QB right now is Mark Sanchez.

MARK SANCHEZ. LOL

Source: Texans tell Hoyer they will be cutting QB

Kind of ****ty to cut him so late in the off-season. He could have been an option in Denver. Could have possibly even been in play for the Rams before the mega trade.

May be an option for the Jets if they can't sign Fitzpatrick.
Respect. He wouldn't have been a play for either of those teams, IMO, especially not for the Rams. Both are looking for franchise guys and Hoyer has now proven in two cities that he is not one of those.

Hoyer isn't very good, but he's an upgrade over Manning/Osweiler (which is ironic considering he was replaced by Osweiler). You can say what you want about Hoyer, but Manning was the worst QB in the league last year and whatever the hell people see in Osweiler, I do not see. I'd be worried if he signed in Denver.

I think if he goes to New Jersey we'll be fine, as he's not better than Fitzpatrick.

Respect. He wouldn't have been a play for either of those teams, IMO, especially not for the Rams. Both are looking for franchise guys and Hoyer has now proven in two cities that he is not one of those.

You can't call what happened to him in Cleveland a fair chance. Come to think of it, it wasn't even that fair in Houston. He's literally never had a comfortable hold on a starting job, which could be destroying his confidence. I don't think he's a franchise QB, but it's not like any team has committed to him and then been disappointed. A couple teams took fliers on him and were trigger happy on cutting bait when he wasn't a superstar.

There are a lot of teams that have and can certainly do worse than Hoyer, but he should not be expected to the starter on any club that has playoff aspirations. Not with the way he completely **** the bed against Kansas City in the playoffs. That was tough to watch.

The bad news, now, for Texans fans is that Assweiler hasn't looked any better and they're paying him elite quarterback money.

The second concussion he had last year came from what looked like a pretty harmless hit. When this sort of thing starts happening you wonder if its time for a guy to hang it up regardless of whether he can still play or not.

Last edited:
You can't call what happened to him in Cleveland a fair chance. Come to think of it, it wasn't even that fair in Houston.
What happened in Houston is in large part because of what happened in Cleveland. He took an awful beating in Cleveland and that predisposed him to panic when the pressure came in Houston. When not under pressure he played well enough but suffered from brain freeze when the heat came. He might be able to salvage a few years as a backup but no one is going to put their team on his shoulders again. Too bad; I thought he had potential before Cleveland wrecked him.

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
You can't call what happened to him in Cleveland a fair chance. Come to think of it, it wasn't even that fair in Houston. He's literally never had a comfortable hold on a starting job, which could be destroying his confidence. I don't think he's a franchise QB, but it's not like any team has committed to him and then been disappointed. A couple teams took fliers on him and were trigger happy on cutting bait when he wasn't a superstar.
I do absolutely respect your opinion, but still I just think he is what he is and likely will always be what we have seen. I don't know how many more chances a guy needs than what he got, but his play on the field did not warrant anything more than someone making him a backup. That's just my opinion of him as someone, mind you, who really liked him and wanted to see him succeed at a starting position. I just have not seen anything that impressive from him.

EVERY franchise wants a franchise guy if they don't have one. But that doesn't mean they always go all-out for one every chance they get.

Denver has Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian (had to look this up) at their QB depth chart right now. They're not in position to take one of the top QBs in the draft as it stands. Hoyer is not a franchise QB, but you really can't argue decisively that he's any worse than any of their other QBs right now.

As for the Rams, over the past 2 seasons, they've started Austin Davis, Shaun Hill, Nick Foles, and Case Keenum. I'm not saying Hoyer is a good option, but they clearly have been willing to go entire seasons without that franchise guy. If they signed Hoyer, I think they still target one of the top QBs because they do want a franchise QB, but I wonder if they would have been less desperate and not as willing to overpay a fortune like they did.

And he could start for the Jets as a cheaper option over Fitzpatrick.

He could also have secured a solid veteran backup option. Consider last season, Matt Cassel started 8 games! Zach Mettenberger started multiple games, as did Matt Hasselbeck and Austin Davis.

Again, Hoyer is not a franchise QB, not a great player, not saying any of that. But he could have found a nice role somewhere. The Browns didn't do him any favours by releasing him so late. And he absolutely could still start for some teams. That's how terrible the QB situation is. We don't always think about it because we have the GOAT, but most teams struggle, sometimes for decades, to find that guy. Or the guy they have is promising, but they keep waiting for them to get to the top of the hill (Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Andy Dalton, etc).

Last edited:
Denver has Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian (had to look this up) at their QB depth chart right now. They're not in position to take one of the top QBs in the draft as it stands.

giphy.gif

If Brady is suspended and if jimmy nuts up on the field, I would have no problem turning to hoyer to start until Brady gets back.

Better scenario is jimmy does great and hoyer is a veteran backup until Brady returns, then he is on clipboard duty.

I like Hoyer as a person, but after his performance in the playoff game this past season, I wouldn't touch him. Hope the Jets do, though.
hes a good backup, those guys shouldnt be starting playoff games

There are a lot of teams that have and can certainly do worse than Hoyer, but he should not be expected to the starter on any club that has playoff aspirations. Not with the way he completely **** the bed against Kansas City in the playoffs. That was tough to watch.

The bad news, now, for Texans fans is that Assweiler hasn't looked any better and they're paying him elite quarterback money.
pittsburgh is supposedly interested and while they may need a better backup than Hoyer considering the health of Ben, there really isnt anyone other than Ryan Fitzpatrick so Hoyer may be their best option.

King Richard:
A QB, a QB! My kingdom for a QB!

Catesby:
Withdraw, my lord; I'll help you as a QB.

King Richard:
Slave! I have set my life upon a cast,
And I will stand the hazard of the die.

the last act of Hoyer the 3rd....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back