PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Texans hire Wade Phillips, will switch to the 3-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean Kubiak not getting fired? Because Phillips is the DC.

OH for some reason I thought Kubiak was fired. Well as a DC, Phillips is a good move.

I'm going to disagree.. With the chance of the CBA not being done in time (limiting the time with player), and the 49'ers, Dolphins, Cowboy and Brown's GM all staying the same, I'm not seeing it happen this year..

What does the GM have to do with it? Let's look at the GMs:

Cowboys - Jerry Jones - Has been the GM since the late 80s and hadn't ran the 3-4 defense until Parcells got there in the mid part of last decade. He isn't married to it.

Browns - Mike Holmgren - Never ran the 3-4 as a head coach. He is a 4-3 guy. Part of the reason why Mangini was fired was because he doesn't run Holmgren's system. He is likely to hire Gruden who came from Holgren's tree and runs a 4-3 defense. Odds are very good that the Browns will switch to a 4-3 next year.

Dolphins - Jeff Ireland - Part of the Parcells regime and could get canned. Owner Stephen Ross is going after a superstar head coach (Jim Harbaugh, Jon Gruden). To get one of those guys, he is going to have to give them free range including determining what type of defense they run. You don't get a marquee head coach and force him to adopt a system they don't want to run.

49ers - Trent Baalke - The 49ers made him GM last week. He has been with the 49ers since 2005, but it is unclear how married to the 3-4 he is. They are also pursuing Harbaugh too. Like Miami, to get Harbaugh they will have to allow him to run the system he wants to run.

At least one of the four teams will almost definitely switch to a 4-3 (Browns). Two others might depending on who is hired since they are pursuing marquee names for head coaches who will most assuridly have total control. Of the four teams mentioned, the only one that is very likely to remain a 3-4 team is the Cowboys considering they are keeping Garrett for at least the 2011 season.

The question will be will Jim Harbaugh adopt the 3-4 like his brother (who doesn't use it exclusively and runs a lot of 4-3) or will he stick with the 4-3.

Cowher, where ever he goes, will definitely implement a 3-4 defense. Denver with John Elway now the GM may be looking for a coach that might not run the 3-4. So they might change. So it those could be a wash depending on where Cowher goes (he could go to a team who already runs the 3-4 like Miami).

Good for the Texans! Phillips just isn't NFL head-coach material.

Immediately after announcing they will switch to a 3-4 defense, the Texans also stated they are in talks with the Redskins to trade for Albert Haynesworth. :D

Personally, I think it's foolishness for them to switch to the 3-4. They don't have the ILB depth needed to run it.

Williams will be a 3-4 DE for them.. Okoye their NT???

They'll definitely have plenty of depth for their D-line.

The question will be the OLB position and the ILB position. Beyond Ryans, who will play ILB for them successfully?

At OLB, they will have Barwin and Mark Anderson moving to new positions. Do they move Cushing inside next to Ryans or leave him at OLB?

This move tells me that Kubiak will be given through 2012 to do something.

re bolded: yep, that's the fear of most Texans fans down here. Kubiak is a mediocre HC - at best - but the owner is myopic and clueless and has some sort of mancrush on Kubiak.

Consider the Texans have been 5-7 at week 13 for the past 4 seasons, and this year they were 4-2 and ended up 6-10. This head coach can do no wrong, and now the owner is spewing a bunch of contradictory nonsense trying to spin his decisions.

The DC they just fired, Frank Bush, is now being thrown under the bus and scapegoated for that atrocious defense. Even though last off-season the GM and HC both said it was their decision go young in the secondary, now they are placing the full blame on Frank Bush. It's chump, and a serious sign that there are fundamental problems in the FO of the organization that will not be 'fixed' with the hiring of a new DC.

My prediction is that Kubiak will be here for at least 2 more seasons, with the owner already spinning the idea of taking two years to implement a new defensive scheme, and with the potential lockout, he's got more excuses because Wade will probably not have a full off-season to work with players.

The Texans have revealed themselves to be a joke, and this comes from a long time fanatic that has been following them since their inception. I'm not a homer wearing blinders and I just call it like I see it. They are playing us for fools down here, and it burns out fans year after year with this inept nonsense.

I figured they kept Kubiak because of the threat of a lockout for next season... but they're already talking about him being there in 2012? :confused:

I thought it was a good move they Texans..

Wade belongs as a coordiantor, he may see some success but Head Coach? He would need some timely pics in order to get another gig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back