Status
Not open for further replies.
OT: What team has the biggest home field advantage

who is it???

Re: OT: What team has the biggest home field advantage

there's only one correct answer

the pats, they've never lost a home game with BB, in the playoffs

their problem is, the odds are they'll only get one home game

even though they're not as good this season as others, one thing on their side is that 2nd game (road game) will be vs a team they know very well (sd or indy)

The Saints

A good team will always have a home advantage.

The Denver Broncos had a huge home advantage back in the day, the lighter air made it difficult for QBs to get their groove on, overthrowing and underthrowing was very common for an away QB in Mile High. Thats the old mile high but the newer one Invesco Field is not much easier.

Its between Invesco and Lambeau Field imo. How many teams have went to Green Bay on a hot streak and lost? I don't know exactly but its happened a lot.

The Saints would be up there

Isn't there a Poll and thread on this already running?

Hard to tell because several of those teams don't have enough of a Playoff history in recent years to give us any indication.

I guess the CW would be that the Pats would be towards the top just based on not losing a home playoff game this decade in what can be miserable weather in January. Minnesota, New Orleans and Seattle are notoriously difficult for visiting teams, so they'd be up there as well, but none of those teams has enough playoff history to give us any real sense of what will happen. Indy used to have a big advantage, but the crowd noise and other conditions in their new stadium are not as bad for visitors as before. There's no indication that the new Cowboys stadium is all that unfriendly to visitors.

It's not clear what home field is really worth though. If we go back to 2005, the SB has been won by a number six, three, five (can't forget that one) and two seed respectively. The only number one seed to win the SB this decade was the Pats in 2003.

[Edit: another poster's comment reminds me that I would definitely put Denver on that list. If you don't have time to acclimate, it will get to every position player on the team.]

Last edited:

1. Denver
2. New England
3. New Orleans
4. Indy
5. KC
6. Miami
7. Buffalo
8. Washington
9. Dallas
10. Oakland

New England and Buffalo are purely because of the weather. Both places are not intimidating to visit in September.

Denver has the biggest advantage. Teams psyche themselves out, and if they ignore the air, they start feeling it regardless at some point.

New Orleans, KC, Washington and Dallas are loud.
At Oakland, your life is threatened.
Miami in the first two months of the season is way too hot for football.
Finally Indy. Piped-in noise, the heat turned up, food poisoned the night before at the hotel. Polian is like Red Auerbach when it comes to building a home field advantage.

Not to be mean, I would put our homefield advantage in the bottom 10 UNLESS it is snowing. The pats stadium is quiet compared to most because it is so wide-open.

By far and away Indy's place. No game is going to be effected more by the refs.

Not to be mean, I would put our homefield advantage in the bottom 10 UNLESS it is snowing. The pats stadium is quiet compared to most because it is so wide-open.

Fan performance is overrated. How many teams want to come in here this year, (yeah we suck on the road but they're undefeated at home) and battle us in the playoffs at home, where we're flawless?

That December/jan home record is nasty;)

I'm surprised that the Colt aren't the #1 choice. What with the piped in crowd noise and the zebras shaking in their boots before the mighty Polian. :rolleyes:

Agreed, but just to some extent.

I think you're right about the noise level but only partially right about the weather. The Pats' do have a January advantage and it does come, as you suggest, 90% from the weather.

But I think Foxboro intimidates warm weather or indoor teams in January even if the sky is clear, but the conditions are cold and windy. If it's snowing or sleeting, fugeddaboutit; then, it's a great advantage against any team but a Pittsburgh, Denver or Green Bay (don't have to worry about the latter in January tho).

How is it people who would love the rest of the league to forget about SpyGate still have no problem throwing out things like piped in crowd noise, heat turned up, etc.

Remember SpyGate, happened and there was undeniable evidence.

There is NO evidence of piped in crowd noise, or heat being turned up, etc. etc.
Those are inventions of teams that got beat and need an excuse. Google the heat thing and you'll find almost nothing except from this board. And as for the crowd noise thing, remember, the "CD skipping" was a network audio problem and the network took responsibility for it. But I guess they're in on the conspiracy too right?

Pointing to those things sounds just as stupid as when fans of other teams call the Pats the Cheatriots.

So why lower yourselves?

As for the poll, from a weather perspective, the Pats by far. But since that likely wont come into play much this playoffs, Im going to say the Saints simply because this playoffs (and possibly superbowl) is going to be the biggest thing to happen to that city since the disaster.

Last edited:

Colts and the refs, its not even close

How is it people who would love the rest of the league to forget about SpyGate still have no problem throwing out things like piped in crowd noise, heat turned up, etc.

Remember SpyGate, happened and there was undeniable evidence.

There is NO evidence of piped in crowd noise, or heat being turned up, etc. etc.
Those are inventions of teams that got beat and need an excuse. Google the heat thing and you'll find almost nothing except from this board. And as for the crowd noise thing, remember, the "CD skipping" was a network audio problem and the network took responsibility for it. But I guess they're in on the conspiracy too right?

Pointing to those things sounds just as stupid as when fans of other teams call the Pats the Cheatriots.

So why lower yourselves?

As for the poll, from a weather perspective, the Pats by far. But since that likely wont come into play much this playoffs, Im going to say the Saints simply because this playoffs (and possibly superbowl) is going to be the biggest thing to happen to that city since the disaster.

I googled "spygate" and can't come up with "undeniable evidence"

Im going to say the Saints simply because this playoffs (and possibly superbowl) is going to be the biggest thing to happen to that city since the disaster.

The disaster? Oh, you must mean the founding of NO. :D

All things being equal the toughest place to go on the road would be to Denver in winter to play a good Broncos team because they have weather and the altitude in their favor. That said, with the teams they have put on the field in recent years their home field hasn't been that scary.

At the end of the day, that is the most important thing about home field advanatge - the talent of the home team. Weather is certainly a factor in certain matchups and in some extremely rare cases the crowd might play a role (nowhere near the role this board thinks they play) but generally speaking, good teams (no matter who they are) win their home games and bad teams don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots