PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: T.O released by Cowboys and talks (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: TO speaks for first time since being cut

Yes-he's by far the worst coverage safety in the league. Yes-he's one of the biggest underachievers in this league. He could have been an Ed Reed/Troy P type of player IF IF IF he had worked just a LITTLE BIT harder. But after he got that big fat contract a couple of years ago, he got lazy and complacent.

HOWEVER...his run support will be sorely missed. Since he went down in wk2, opposing teams started exploiting areas where he generally gives solid run support. Remember the last TX Stadium game against the Ravens? Those 2 long TD runs given up late in the game-Roy would have been there to at least make stops for minimum gains.

As for his replacement-I read today that they're entertaining the idea of moving Orlando Scandrick to one of the S positions. I thought he played very well as our nickel corner last year when Terrence Newman missed time with a groin injury. He was a steal in that 5th round.

Yes-I'm a Cowboys fan-I started posting here in the '06 season asking about the negativity over Drew Bledsoe(after he stunk it up in TO's homecoming @Philly). At the time, I thought he was unfortunate to play behind a very bad Oline. Of course, our teams played each other the year after.
Scandrick was a kid I liked coming out of Boise State, scrappy little bugger with a lot of speed.

I think the first time TO considered those words, it was after Drew Rosenhaus handed him the script for him to read.

I would take TO on 2 maybe 3 mill deal over a year on a one strike your out basis. Moss, Welker and TO would be epic.

Yes-he's by far the worst coverage safety in the league. Yes-he's one of the biggest underachievers in this league. He could have been an Ed Reed/Troy P type of player IF IF IF he had worked just a LITTLE BIT harder. But after he got that big fat contract a couple of years ago, he got lazy and complacent.

HOWEVER...his run support will be sorely missed. Since he went down in wk2, opposing teams started exploiting areas where he generally gives solid run support. Remember the last TX Stadium game against the Ravens? Those 2 long TD runs given up late in the game-Roy would have been there to at least make stops for minimum gains.

As for his replacement-I read today that they're entertaining the idea of moving Orlando Scandrick to one of the S positions. I thought he played very well as our nickel corner last year when Terrence Newman missed time with a groin injury. He was a steal in that 5th round.

Yes-I'm a Cowboys fan-I started posting here in the '06 season asking about the negativity over Drew Bledsoe(after he stunk it up in TO's homecoming @Philly). At the time, I thought he was unfortunate to play behind a very bad Oline. Of course, our teams played each other the year after.

My friend is a big Dallas Cowboy fan, so we watch all their games and then we watch the Pats games. I pretty much know the Cowboys roster like I know the Pats roster. Orlando Scandrick does seem like a steal for the 5th round and looks like a better player right now than Mike Jenkins. For the time I saw Jenkins play, I wasn't really impressed except for that pick for a touchdown. Isn't Scandrick a little small to play FS or SS?

If TO has trouble finding a team to "pay him" maybe the Pats can offer him a few drinks of the koolaid and get him to sign an all base deal with no guarantees. Play and get paid and win a ring. Act up and find yourself unemployed.

No defense could stop Brady chucking the ball to Moss/Welker/TO.

My friend is a big Dallas Cowboy fan, so we watch all their games and then we watch the Pats games. I pretty much know the Cowboys roster like I know the Pats roster. Orlando Scandrick does seem like a steal for the 5th round and looks like a better player right now than Mike Jenkins. For the time I saw Jenkins play, I wasn't really impressed except for that pick for a touchdown. Isn't Scandrick a little small to play FS or SS?

There's a chance that Sean Smith MAY, MAY, MAY be available in the draft next month-if so, our S position could be solved. Bad news is that we don't have a #1 pick due to the Roy11 trade. However, we ARE stacked with picks in other rounds-so who knows? Jethro could very well have enough ammo to wheel/deal to trade up a bit in the 2nd.

With that being said-Scandrick at S is just an idea for now. I doubt if it happens, but you never know.

If TO has trouble finding a team to "pay him" maybe the Pats can offer him a few drinks of the koolaid and get him to sign an all base deal with no guarantees. Play and get paid and win a ring. Act up and find yourself unemployed.

No defense could stop Brady chucking the ball to Moss/Welker/TO.

You know what's funny? Just about EVERY NFL team MB I've been to today has been discussing "Should we sign Owens or not?" to infinity. Even the Eagles MB is doing the same, believe it or not!

I mean what is the obsession with this guy? When all is said and done-I think he WILL find a team. And no, it won't be Oakland, it will be a team like the Titans who feel he'll be their "missing piece".

You know what's funny? Just about EVERY NFL team MB I've been to today has been discussing "Should we sign Owens or not?" to infinity. Even the Eagles MB is doing the same, believe it or not!

I mean what is the obsession with this guy? When all is said and done-I think he WILL find a team. And no, it won't be Oakland, it will be a team like the Titans who feel he'll be their "missing piece".

The same reason why he was signed in Dallas in the first place. He's one of the best WR ever so everyone thinks that they can fix him. That said, I wouldn't mind him on the Pats.

I'm not saying that the Patriots should bring him in but T.O gets a bad rap sometimes. Did T.O make Romo fumble the ball on that field goal try against Seattle or make the offensive line not block against the Giants and make Crayton drop a sure TD catch or completely collapse against the Eagles this year or make Donovan get sick in the Super Bowl and Andy Reid bad clock management skills. People act like Romo isn't a baby Brett Farve(ya know gunslinger) with San Fransisco(my original favorite team) was going to suck any way with the salary cap hell they were going to be in because of the DeBartalo years and why is it that 2 of his biggest supporters are Mora Jr. and Knapp two coaches that were there with him in SF.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that the Patriots should bring him in but T.O gets a bad rap sometimes. Did T.O make Romo fumble the ball on that field goal try against Seattle or make the offensive line not block against the Giants and make Crayton drop a sure TD catch or completely collapse against the Eagles this year or make Donovan get sick in the Super Bowl and Andy Reid bad clock management skills. People act like Romo isn't a baby Brett Farve(ya know gunslinger) with San Fransisco(my original favorite team) was going to suck any way with the salary cap hell they were going to be in because of the DeBartalo years and why is it that 2 of his biggest supporters are Mora Jr. and Knapp two coaches that were there with him in SF.

I agree, does T.O. have issues? Yeah, of course! But like it or not most of us have been brainwashed by ESPN to equate him to a pacman Jones or Vick type person. They portrayed Randy Moss the same way when he was in Oakland. ESPN actually writes a check to Skip Bayless as a legit journalist! Give me a break!

Another thing to add...

Everyone says how you can't win championships with TO, etc, etc. How about Larry "NO ego" Fitzgerald? Where's his ring? How about Brian Dawkins-one of the CLASS-ACTS of this league? Why didn't he ever win a ring in his long career? How about Dan "good guy" Marino? Andre "great teammate" Reed?

And for that matter too-remember when Peyton Manning threw his OL under the bus after a playoff loss? Didn't Brett Favre call out his teammates to the media in Green Bay? Why in the world do they have rings? Didn't the 80's Gibbs Redskins team have their TO Jr(Gary Clark)? How the heck did they win a pair of Super Bowls with him?

And for those that have said that the Eagles won those 2 playoff games in '04 to get to the Super Bowl without TO...they played UNDERACHIEVING Minny and OVERRATED Atlanta. The years before, they couldn't even go toe-toe with much better teams in Carolina, Tampa, and St. Louis *without* Owens.

Anyhow-Owens just isn't worth it to have on your team. However-to say you have no shot to win anything with him is a huge stretch, for the many examples I started above. I mean if you want to use this logic, then why not have all of your starters come out of the 7th round instead.

The same reason why he was signed in Dallas in the first place. He's one of the best WR ever so everyone thinks that they can fix him. That said, I wouldn't mind him on the Pats.

TO is the Drew Bledsoe of WRs-lots of talent on the surface, but very overrated b/c their ranges are very limited.

Pt being that while TO is a very talented receiver, I would hardly classify him as one of the best in the league, not even a Top 10er. I can name several who are better than him-Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Smith, Wes Welker, TJ Housh, Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Q Boldin, Brandon Marshall, DeSean Jackson, Randy Moss, Ocho Cinco, Plaxico Burress, Greg Jennings...these guys run much better routes than TO, and to boot-they're at least tolerable teammates.

That actually should change to-"Teams that won't give TO a FMV contract"...back in 2006-there were like 1/2 a dozen suitors for TO, but Jethro was the ONLY one willing to give the $$ he wanted. I believe Shanahan wanted him in Denver too at a price a bit less though.

Trust me-you do NOT want him on your team. You can put all kinds of clauses, gag orders, or whatever in his contract, but once his ugly rear-end starts coming out, it is OVER, and the locker room is split before you know it. When Parcells was here, his only option was just that...IGNORE him(something Mooch/Reid didn't do)...it was decently effective for awhile, but it only went so far until Tuna himself went bananas at the end.

With that being said-within the next couple of weeks, Owens will have 1/2 a dozen suitors. They'll only give him the minimum, but nonetheless there are alot of desperate teams out there that need that "missing piece", but they won't admit it now.

That actually should change to-"Teams that won't give TO a FMV contract"...back in 2006-there were like 1/2 a dozen suitors for TO, but Jethro was the ONLY one willing to give the $$ he wanted. I believe Shanahan wanted him in Denver too at a price a bit less though.

Trust me-you do NOT want him on your team. You can put all kinds of clauses, gag orders, or whatever in his contract, but once his ugly rear-end starts coming out, it is OVER, and the locker room is split before you know it. When Parcells was here, his only option was just that...IGNORE him(something Mooch/Reid didn't do)...it was decently effective for awhile, but it only went so far until Tuna himself went bananas at the end.

With that being said-within the next couple of weeks, Owens will have 1/2 a dozen suitors. They'll only give him the minimum, but nonetheless there are alot of desperate teams out there that need that "missing piece", but they won't admit it now.

OK Tuna, calm down.lol. We get it. Personally, im on record as wanting nothing to do with T.O.

OK Tuna, calm down.lol. We get it. Personally, im on record as wanting nothing to do with T.O.

Also-I can honestly say I lost ALOT of sleep during his 3 year tenure here in Dallas. Since his signing 3 years ago, for some reason, I worried almost every waking minute if the time bomb would go to 0:00. And that included our 13-3 campaign in 2007 when pretty much everything was going our way.

Luckily, I missed his first TC here(hammy injury, Lance Armstrong impersonation on stationary bike, etc) b/c I was busy moving from New Orleans to North Texas.

But like I said earlier-NO excuses for Romo, Wade, Garrett, and the rest of this Dallas team from now on. TO can no longer be their whipping boy if things go sour(again).

Also-I can honestly say I lost ALOT of sleep during his 3 year tenure here in Dallas. Since his signing 3 years ago, for some reason, I worried almost every waking minute if the time bomb would go to 0:00. And that included our 13-3 campaign in 2007 when pretty much everything was going our way.

So we could blame T.O. for us not having a perfect season. Because if we had played Dallas, like i thought we would, we probably wouldve won :D

So we could blame T.O. for us not having a perfect season. Because if we had played Dallas, like i thought we would, we probably wouldve won :D

Even if Crayton hadn't given up on his route in that Giants playoff game, I think we would have beaten the Packers easily the week after, however-Wes Welker would have had a field day, I mean a FIELD DAY against our nickel corner(Jacques Reeves-who couldn't even cover the Giants rookie slot receiver), and even though Anthony Henry not playing in our reg season meeting was a huge loss, nonetheless Randy Moss would have given him matchup nightmares b/c of the speed factor.

And not to mention too-outside of Ware, Ellis, and Spencer, we didn't exactly have that dangerous pass rush like the Giants did that year. I mean while we had very good speed rushers on the edge, we were SOFT in the middle area. Brady would have had a comfort zone in the DT area.

Anyhow-personally, that's why I wasn't bitter about the playoff loss. I didn't think we would have matched up well against you guys. Who knows? Maybe we'll meet next year in Miami?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back