Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This from Tony Pauline today:

Matthew Stafford impresses Detroit Lions at private workout - NFL - SI.com

According to the report "The results were encouraging for Stafford and the Lions, who own the first pick in April's draft. Sources described Stafford's workout as flawless, stating it was significantly better than his March 19 pro-day workout, also held at Georgia."

If Detroit does go with Stafford #1 it will definitely shape the top of the draft. StLouis will probably take Jason Smith and KC Aaron Curry. Seattle would probably have to choose between Eugene Monroe and Mark Sanchez, with Cincy snatching up Monroe in a hurry if he falls to #6.

I personally find QB workouts among the most difficult to interpret of any in the pre-draft process. QB's often work out with receivers they know under highly controlled and scripted conditions, with no defensive pressure. You may get an idea of how strong and accurate a guy is, but you can't possibly get a good sense of how they deal with pressure and adversity. I think it's already obvious that Matt Stafford has a stronger arm than Joe Montana ever did. What that means to how he will be as a QB is a total mystery to me.

I'm thinking the Rams would take Monroe over Smith but it's much the same. Seattle could also take Crabtree. I also think the Browns could take Crabtree (if Seattle doesn't) with Edwards heading into his contract year.

Even if he was just average he's still the pick that makes the most sense at #1

The Lions can't tell who is good and how is garbage, I'm hoping they take Stafford and also blow their other #1 pick this year. It will be high comedy when they load up on not one but two expensive contracts this year

This from Tony Pauline today:

Matthew Stafford impresses Detroit Lions at private workout - NFL - SI.com

According to the report "The results were encouraging for Stafford and the Lions, who own the first pick in April's draft. Sources described Stafford's workout as flawless, stating it was significantly better than his March 19 pro-day workout, also held at Georgia."

If Detroit does go with Stafford #1 it will definitely shape the top of the draft. StLouis will probably take Jason Smith and KC Aaron Curry. Seattle would probably have to choose between Eugene Monroe and Mark Sanchez, with Cincy snatching up Monroe in a hurry if he falls to #6.

I personally find QB workouts among the most difficult to interpret of any in the pre-draft process. QB's often work out with receivers they know under highly controlled and scripted conditions, with no defensive pressure. You may get an idea of how strong and accurate a guy is, but you can't possibly get a good sense of how they deal with pressure and adversity. I think it's already obvious that Matt Stafford has a stronger arm than Joe Montana ever did. What that means to how he will be as a QB is a total mystery to me.

I think I heard on NFL network that only 2 of the last 9 junior QB's taken early in the draft panned out. I'm guessing Rottenburger is one of them.

Stafford has a cannon arm and can read defenses, but makes a lot of poor decisions. Detriot is in a rough spot. I personnally would take Raji at #1 and Oher at #20 if I were the Detriot GM, Stafford is just too risky.

In the mock we did here I was strongly considering BJ Raji #1 overall. Let's face it the Lions have a long ways to go. Chances are good that they'll be picking in the top 5 again next year. In that draft class will be Sam Bradford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back