PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Spags stays with Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3235255

Good choice to stay. If he would have taken a job elsewhere, it had Mangenious written all over it.

Mangini's defense at no time shut down the highest scoring offense of all time in the Super Bowl. I'm pretty sure Spags is a better coach than Mangini, who probably wasn't even smart enough to be a DC in the first place (personal bias).

Last edited:
Anyone play the game: How many times that Fox would show him? My brother and I counted 15. They hardly showed either head coach or any other assistant. It was pathetic.:)

Good choice to stay. If he would have taken a job elsewhere, it had Mangenious written all over it.

Umm...I don't recall him getting a job offer to go anywhere else. Good old Mort making it seem like he got an offer to coach the Skins without actually saying that.

Sorry if I'm missing something and he actually was offered the Skins job. If not, this is just another case of ignoring facts to reinforce the story you want to sell. Spags is a NY hero. Look at that loyalty. Brings a tear to the eye.

Breaking news...I decided today to keep my job instead of becoming a CEO at a Fortune 500 company. I hope my co-workers appreciate my sacrifice...

Breaking news...I decided today to keep my job instead of becoming a CEO at a Fortune 500 company. I hope my co-workers appreciate my sacrifice...

:rofl:

I've been listening to sports radio here in DC over the last few days and I haven't heard anything concrete about Spags being offered the job. Speculation, sure, but that's all.

Anyway, they should have showed him, as he was the mastermind behind the plan. Man, he looked confident and unflappable all night. He was walking around like he owned the damn place.

So if # of times shown on camera = importance to the game plan, should I go ahead and assume Peyton Manning wrote the Giants playbook?

Oh I disagree. When will his value be higher?

That's true, but he's been a DC for one year, plus he had the defensive linemen in place before he got there.

You sure it wasn't your uncle? Anyway, they should have showed him, as he was the mastermind behind the plan. Man, he looked confident and unflappable all night. He was walking around like he owned the damn place.

Please. Mastermind? What exactly did he design that was a MASTER PLAN?...bull rush and knock over our lineman and double team Moss? Certainly did not appear to be any intricate plan or any different than anyone else did to us...the Giants simply executed well. They executed, played well and certainly outplayed our guys. But to freaking put a bronze statue of the guy up outside Giant Stadium for one performance? Please...get a grip.

He certainly has the look of a future head coach and probrably the ability to become a good one reading up on him.

LOL, I highly doubt that the D game plan was as simple as you make it sound. New signals each quarter, picking and choosing players, when to rush, where to rush from, he did a fantastic job, and that 2+ mil he's going to bank courtesy of the GMEN brass says I'm right, so you, my friend, can get a grip.

You're overselling your case. No one is arguing that Spags didn't so a fantastic job, but the things you just described (picking and choosing players, when to rush, where to rush from) are what a defensive coordinator does. I think what he was saying is that Spags didn't re-invent the wheel out there. He came in with a very good game plan, called the right plays, and his players executed. He deserves all the credit in the world for that, but that defense wasn't something the Patriots haven't seen before, it was just extraordinarily well executed.

I think the beef was with the "master plan" comment implying it was some sort of defensive gameplan that great poets and artists will feel compelled to preserve for generations to come. It wasn't unique, it was just great.

You're overselling your case. No one is arguing that Spags didn't so a fantastic job, but the things you just described (picking and choosing players, when to rush, where to rush from) are what a defensive coordinator does. I think what he was saying is that Spags didn't re-invent the wheel out there. He came in with a very good game plan, called the right plays, and his players executed. He deserves all the credit in the world for that, but that defense wasn't something the Patriots haven't seen before, it was just extraordinarily well executed.

I think the beef was with the "master plan" comment implying it was some sort of defensive gameplan that great poets and artists will feel compelled to preserve for generations to come. It wasn't unique, it was just great.

Thanks. Well said.

The Redskins, or any other NFL-team looking for a HC, couldn't interview candidates from SuperBowl participants until after the game. Spagnuolo was coordinator for just one year, and I guess he interviewed with the Redskins to see what the process was all about. Although he gets props for his defense shutting down the likes of Tom Brady and Brett Favre, I'd like to see him do it for a full season. Their main strength is their front four, as we got to know, but I still have my doubts about the seven others. This team could use a few more high draft picks on defense, and they won't get them now.
The Giants got their lunch handed to them by the likes of Minnesota at home, so in all honesty I don't see them waltzing through their 2008 schedule. If they can improve one win to 11-5 they will be lucky. And now they're the team with the big bull's eye on their chest.

Well, I didn't quite call it a "Masterpiece", now did I? But he did do THIS:

"A plan giving comprehensive guidance or instruction"

Didn't he?

He accomplished what no other coach could, 18 times worth. Hell, HE didn't even do it during the regular season. If the word is too strong for you, not my problem. Great job by Spags. Supremely confident hawking the sidelines.

No one is questioning what a great job he did. The word you used is "master mind", my apologies. He really didn't do anything out of the ordinary, he just coached his guys up and they played a hell of a game. Again, I'm not saying he didn't do a great job, but you're implying he's some kind of savant based on the fact that his team executed a very sound and well implemented game plan.

You're right, I am giving the Patriots too much credit. It's simple really. Get to Brady, win the game. Thx.

Sure. If you put Brady on his back as much as the Giants did on Sunday, you're probably going to win. That's true of most quarterbacks. The Giants absolutely dominated up front, and were relentless in the pressure they got on Brady all night.

The fine line in blitzing Brady is you actually have to hit him. Because if you don't get to him quick, as the Giants did Sunday, he's going to carve you up. All season teams that blitzed Brady found themselves in trouble because even against tremendous pressure, the O-Line gave him enough time. That wasn't true in the Super Bowl. Then again, few teams have the pass rush that the Giants have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes