PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: So who is this year's Andrew Luck in College FB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started rooting for the Pats already on Brady era.

It must really sucks to be a Bears fan this year or to be in this position, your teams is 0-3, no perspective, your QB sucks, the backup sucks even more, the front office is dysfunctional. Total dumpster fire.

There isn't one. Luck is a rarity in that respect and the reason he was touted VERY highly by Pro teams. He QB'd Stanford in a way that closely resembled the controlled Pro game (something largely rare in college). Not only that he did so looking very much like that pro QB which is pretty incredible when you consider college QBs are only a few years removed from being in high school. Asking a guy who just became old enough to legally drink alcohol to play a game that is so highly refined and incredibly intricate is a tall order for anyone.

The college game has some fundamental differences from the Pro game that just don't allow for the Pro QB skillset honing. Most of the good college QBs come into the NFL and get thrown into the fire sooner rather than later, yet their college training hasn't really been training for the Pro game (not that that is the college's job to do). In that regard this is why I stated I like some of the things about Tyrod Taylor more than many recent QBs. He is a guy who was given multiple years of low pressure, just absorbing the Pro game, and training for a pro QB position that Virginia Tech was not fully preparing him for (not really even that close either).

Whether Luck turns back this poor year he is having or Taylor continues to improve/look good is ???. There are many factors that go into being a successful Pro QB that one never knows (and explains so many first round busts).

There isn't one. Luck is a rarity in that respect and the reason he was touted VERY highly by Pro teams. He QB'd Stanford in a way that closely resembled the controlled Pro game (something largely rare in college). Not only that he did so looking very much like that pro QB which is pretty incredible when you consider college QBs are only a few years removed from being in high school. Asking a guy who just became old enough to legally drink alcohol to play a game that is so highly refined and incredibly intricate is a tall order for anyone.

The college game has some fundamental differences from the Pro game that just don't allow for the Pro QB skillset honing. Most of the good college QBs come into the NFL and get thrown into the fire sooner rather than later, yet their college training hasn't really been training for the Pro game (not that that is the college's job to do). In that regard this is why I stated I like some of the things about Tyrod Taylor more than many recent QBs. He is a guy who was given multiple years of low pressure, just absorbing the Pro game, and training for a pro QB position that Virginia Tech was not fully preparing him for (not really even that close either).

Whether Luck turns back this poor year he is having or Taylor continues to improve/look good is ???. There are many factors that go into being a successful Pro QB that one never knows (and explains so many first round busts).
Developing qbs just doesn't seem to be something most nfl teams are interested in doing

The Bears are looking to replace Jay Cutler, so they need someone with a lot of talent and a big arm but who makes incredibly dumb decisions and can't handle the pressure in big games. So, like you said, they are looking for this year's Andrew Luck coming out of college.

The Chicago Bears go down in history..

C. Cook, before i was on Hackenberg till i discovered who Cook was then i changed my mind.

You don't usually turn a franchise around with a left tackle
True, but an excellent LT will help keep your QB from getting killed.

True, but an excellent LT will help keep your QB from getting killed.
First you need a QB to not get killed though, I doubt the bears care if Clausen or Cutler get killed out there

They already have an Andrew Luck: his name is Jay Cutler.

They are twin turnover machines of different mothers, although Luck seems to have a way better attitude.
We should have an all time top 10 douchebag QB list .... Cutler maybe then could be the GOAT in a QB category.

No one is close to what Luck was coming out of college.

I know that Andrew Luck is not really a Jay Cutler clone and is way better. I'm just having a little fun with their relative equality in the turnover category.

Slippin' for Rypien. :D

(Yes I'm joking, the guy has only played in 2 games but what I saw was really impressive and he is on a path that could lead him to the NFL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back