PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Slumdog kid a Patriots fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just googled it. Hindi is the official language. English has official status (evidently one of many.)

Nearly everyone I've met there speaks English. Just a guess, but there may be more English speakers in India than any other country.

I once met a local guy in Delhi wearing a Pats shirt. I was so excited I ran to him and asked him about it. He had no idea who the Patriots are or where New England is. His wife bought the shirt for him because she liked the (red) color of it.

There are 1988 Bollywood Movies with guys wearing Elway shirts. I think the color is what makes them popular.
As for a kid in the slum wearing a shirt...it because they were probably given out by local Mission groups. There are many kids in Guatemala running around with 19-0 shirts as we speak.

Nearly everyone I've met there speaks English. Just a guess, but there may be more English speakers in India than any other country.

I think you are right, PJ. I bet close to 50-60% of the 1 billion people in India speak English.
Most of South India doesn't speak Hindi...you need to know English, Tamil, or Taligue to communicate.

its a old british colony. Most of our schools in cities are english medium and most places people can converse in english although more of the british dialect/lingos.hindi is the 'official' language but the local languages changes between regions quite a bit

You are right. Most of the states are divided based on the language they speak so for every 300-400 miles language changes but hindi is considered the national language there.

A very few states in South India, English is preferred over hindi when you have to speak in a language other than the local dialect.

But we do have die hard patriot fans like me :)

Last edited:
I think you are right, PJ. I bet close to 50-60% of the 1 billion people in India speak English.
Most of South India doesn't speak Hindi...you need to know English, Tamil, or Taligue to communicate.

most of south india can speak hindi except 1 state where it isnt as much.they even had hindi shows dubbed in tamil for a long time.

south indian based out of north india , now settled in the bay area :)

hey, i'm from south india too settled in Boston area !

Isn't it amazing to think many Brits think the same about American Football yet understand cricket? ;)

Other than the LBW law I've never understood what it is about cricket that people struggle with.

Other than the LBW law I've never understood what it is about cricket that people struggle with.

LBW's equivalent explanation in baseball terms = Pitcher's pitch starts in the strike zone, stays in the zone and the batter steps in front and takes the ball on his legs instead of swinging the bat. :)

That movie was good. Just thought Id throw that in there.

LBW's equivalent explanation in baseball terms = Pitcher's pitch starts in the strike zone, stays in the zone and the batter steps in front and takes the ball on his legs instead of swinging the bat. :)

See, that's easy enough to understand! Perhaps it's just my explanations that are bad, cos people's eyes tend to glaze over when I start talking about "it has to pitch in line" etc. Next time I will relate it to baseball.

See, that's easy enough to understand! Perhaps it's just my explanations that are bad, cos people's eyes tend to glaze over when I start talking about "it has to pitch in line" etc. Next time I will relate it to baseball.

well, i took out the pitched in line part which is the same as saying that in baseball the pitcher's pitch starts in the zone and not outside the zone and tails in :). There are some more complications to it depending on the angle of delivery and LF vs RH 'pitchers' but this should cover most situations i hope :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back